Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 807
D2D Dawson to Fairbanks road condition ?

For about 6 months now I have been trying to get my wife to join me on the D2D run and into AK this year. She rides extremely well on the street with a mint R1200R she would like to keep that way. When I saw the waterproof bags show up a few days ago, I knew she had at least been thinking about it. When she asked about how frequently I'd pop for a hotel tonight, I knew she was somewhat serious.

The final clue was "promise me no dirt roads". I said I could not comply with that, and I thought the road was part dirt but totally manageable from Dawson to Fairbanks if the weather was dry. Then we could take some paved roads and see a bit of AK. We have no intention of running the haul road or Dempster. Well maybe the Dalton up to the circle for a bucket list photo opportunity.

Can you guys please comment on how manageable the road is in good weather, even if I have to wait it out a bit after D2D?

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,504
Truly outstanding.

This was my then 16 year old daughter a few years back somewhere along the Top of the World Hwy... which is the one that connects Dawson to Tok.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,632
The road between Chicken and Dawson is 108 miles. It is mostly unpaved. The road on the Canadian side is generally in better shape and rideable by street bikes even in the rain. The US side (a bit over 50 miles I think) is an easy ride when dry but can be difficult for street tires in moderate to heavy rain. If conditions are dry you cold easily average 40 MPH on an R with street tires.

I'll be riding my R12R this year and there are folks that ride an R to D2D regularly. Consider putting Scorpion Trail tires or Dunlop 616s on her bike and she should be okay. If it looks too ugly on the TOW you can always take the long way round.

KHuddy screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 04:17 PM
KHuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 832
There was a steady rain last year on the way to Dawson. Two days later it was remarkable how much it dried out. That time of year is pretty good for decent weather, but if it rains alot you could sit it out for a couple of days or ride south to Whitehorse and then north. The options are both good.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 807
thanks for the info guys

this confirms what I'd hoped. I'm fine with waiting a day or two more or heading south, either way is cool. Would like to see TOW though!

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
legion
Wait Til Friday

Another perspective re: rainy and crappy conditions...

I always leave late with the hope of hitting the border at the last minute. Last year I left early but my bike crapped out in Glennallen so it turned out that I was back to my normal schedule after a big hand from a buddy. All those guys that went early in the day last year? A bunch of 'em got drenched.

Me? The road was dry and beautiful. I had no clue that it was a soaker earlier in the day.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
"Easy 40mph" is soooo true. That's an overall average of the entire road! Mostly cause you're so damn busy looking in every direction but where you should be looking. Awesome views. You'll know road conditions before you leave Dawson. If it's crap, I would definitely not advise. If it's dry, 110% yes!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
legion
Wait Til Friday