Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #46
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
So you sold the Silverwing. Congratulations I guess. I still have fond memories of my Silverwing Demo ride.

I would love to own one.
They are great bikes and if I start riding further again I will probably get another.

For the moment and last few years my riding is more local and the 250s just are easier to ride.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #47
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Top speed is good. The bike came with a badly cupped front so I had a Heidenau K61 put on to match the back. Told them not to balance cause I wanted to buy and try dynabeads. The wobble on the new tire is crazy bad. Just occurred to me that they might have left the old weights on and they did! ( shakes head)

Next few days are busy so late in the week I will take off the weights and put in the dynabeads and hope the wobble is either minimized a lot or gone.
With the old weights off and the dynabeads in (and the top case off) the wobble is completely gone!

When I put the top case on there is a wobble but that's ok. I can live with that.

First time using dynabeads and they seem to work.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #48
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Decided to try the Tu250 again. Picked up a flood unit that had been checked by a Suzuki mechanic. It is a fun bike to ride the back roads near me. Having some hip issues getting on and off but working on that.

Anyway, the Tu is up for sale now as is the Vespa. Great bikes/scoots but time to try something new!

Any suggestions on what to get next?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #49
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,343
Maybe its time to get one of the big wheel scooters. Mine does not wobble with a top-case.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #50
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

I think you have a point.

I had an SYM HD200 and liked it. A piaggio 250 is on my short list.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #51
2Wheelz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Buying / Selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC99 View Post
Yea I realized that too with my 09. The 250GTS is all I ever need (with a top box).

It's the perfect size and mix.
Have to totally agree with OKC99. My 2009 GTS250ie sure hits my sweet spot too as well. Perfect combination for an all round scooter for what I do and where I ride. It's great in town filtering around cages and decent on the Interstate for medium to short runs and even handles decent on gravel roads. Bought mine new this spring from a dealer that got some 2009's that were still in the crate for $1400 off the regular price. Also, I think the 2009 GTS250ie has the best instrument cluster that Vespa has ever made, which is a plus.

Some pix from a recent ride:

2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
2011 Honda PCX (Sold)
2008 Yamaha WR250R (Sold)
2Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #52
2Wheelz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
OK, the Silverwing sold so now I'm down to just the Vespa. Since I don't have a car (wife takes hers to work) I like to have a 2nd bike around so, if I am working on one I can run to get parts and stuff with the other.

Oh, c'mon that is just an excuse - I like having 2 bikes!

At the moment nothing is calling to me. Was thinking maybe a motorcycle but they are heavy and you have to shift - too much work! Nah.

Today I saw a Yammy C3. Cool looking scoot but with a top speed of 40 and my big butt - probably not a good idea. Tho' Ill have to swing over to TotalRuckus and see what easy mods could pump that up a bit. Here in NC no insurance or plate is needed for a 50cc so that is a big plus.

I'm really enjoying the Vespa so I don't want to get anything that is too similar.

Maybe a Zuma 125? It has that sort of "off road" thing going for it.
Started my scooter saga back in 2007 with a Yamaha C3. Fun little scoot but not enough power to pull a sick whore off a piss pot (as my Dad says). It was dangerous holding up traffic with the hills here in Duluth. Got great mileage though. Next scooter was a 2011 Honda PCX 125cc. Great little scoot. So FUN to carve turns with. Just wish they had come out with the 150cc version at the outset and I'd probably still have it. Great handling little scooter with terrific mileage and larger wheels to handle the terrible roads we have here now after our flooding disaster this spring.

Check out the Honda PCX 150cc too. It's bit more scooter than the Yamaha Zuma 125cc and freeway legal as well. It has a lot of room for a rider that is 6 foot tall and great ergonomics once you get rid of that "hump" they put on the seat. It's going to be easier to get parts from Honda than Piaggio too.

Here's a few pix of mine I sold with the "humpectomy" after I got a local upholsterer to redo the seat for $150:

2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
2011 Honda PCX (Sold)
2008 Yamaha WR250R (Sold)
2Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #53
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

I read a review on the PCX150 --pretty cool. I like the looks too!

But, I don't keep scoots long enough to justify buying new. I'll have to wait.

Great photos of your rides!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

I started my scooting around 2003 or 2004 (CNR) after many years of motorcycle riding.

I had a PC800 bike and was looking for something more suited to my riding - short commute and occasional day rides. That led me to the Honda Silverwing. I enjoyed the Swing a bunch and then my friend decided to sell his Burgman 650. I decided to try that for a bit. I was then hooked on trying new scoots.

Since 2003, as best as I can recall (and I know I will forget a couple) I've had

6 Honda Silverwings
Burgman 650
Burgman 400
2 Vespa GTS 250s
Honda CT110
SYM HD200
SYM Symba
3 Honda Reflexes
Honda Helex
2 Bajaj Chetaks
2 TU250s
HD Sportster
Triiumph Bonneville
Yamaha 50cc ?

All except the HD were bought used. Buying and riding a used scoot for a short time costs very little. On a few scoots I made money since I got a good deal buying. Overall I think my hobby was very cheap, certainly less costly than a hobby such as golf.......UNTIL...... I decided I wanted a Harley.

I did careful research and determined a Sportster would suit my needs. Then, I rented one for a day to be sure. I decided all was good and I bought it. Paid the stealer fees of freight, prep, etc. and HATED the bike from shortly after I got it. Ended up selling it for a good loss. So, I will try not to buy another new scoot so as to avoid a big loss. But, other than that, I'd bet my 10 years of buying/selling hasn't cost me $5000 total or, $500/year. I think that is pretty good. Also, if you factor in that I've only bought new tires for scoots about 3 -4 times and never paid a dealer for any major service - I might actually be ahead of someone who buys a new scoot and has it dealer serviced!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #55
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:

But, I don't keep scoots long enough to justify buying new. I'll have to wait.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #56
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
Wow, removing the hump on the PCX is cool. That is what eliminated in from consideration before. Just put me too close to the front.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Decided to try the Tu250 again. Picked up a flood unit that had been checked by a Suzuki mechanic. It is a fun bike to ride the back roads near me. Having some hip issues getting on and off but working on that.

Anyway, the Tu is up for sale now as is the Vespa. Great bikes/scoots but time to try something new!

Any suggestions on what to get next?
After reading the thread below, this one is on my radar.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632287
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #58
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

On the way to Costco we stopped at the Honda dealer. Several CBRs including a red, white & Blue one. Beautiful machine and reviews rave on it. Due to the hip issues, I will be sticking with scoots or that one would be on my radar too!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #59
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I like variety too!

You sound like me, Jersey. Let's see, since 2003 I've had a few different rides too:

a CT90,
a CT110,
a ST90,
a C70 Passport,
a Honda CL450,
(2) Yamaha DT400B's,
an Elite CH150,
a Honda Helix
a Kawasaki GPZ750,
a Kawasaki ZR-7S.
a Honda VTX 1300R,
a Kawasaki Versys,
a Honda CRF230L
a Yamaha Majesty,
(2) KLR250's

I have a list of bikes that I want to own, and I'm not even close to halfway through it.
My Majesty will be for sale soon, and I'm thinking of picking up either a WR250R or a BV350. Or maybe both. And a SportCity 250. Or two.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 07:09 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #60
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Phil

You and I should get together. We are 2 of a kind! Wish you were closer.

Oh, and you remind me ---- I had a Honda CRF 230L too.

JerseyBiker screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 07:00 AM