User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #151
Bluecomet
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 111
How Do Aarrff

Yunz ere ridin sum mity fine blacktop and gravel up yonder! Having grown up in SW NC you are taking me back home with your great photos. Plus you' re showing me a bunch of sucky roads that I need to ride when I can tell the boss a permanent goodbye (or at least sneak a vacation road trip).

Be careful, you'll have every flat lander rider in the SE headed your way!

Keep riding and the great pics coming!
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #152
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecomet View Post
Yunz ere ridin sum mity fine blacktop and gravel up yonder! Having grown up in SW NC you are taking me back home with your great photos. Plus you' re showing me a bunch of sucky roads that I need to ride when I can tell the boss a permanent goodbye (or at least sneak a vacation road trip).

Be careful, you'll have every flat lander rider in the SE headed your way!

Keep riding and the great pics coming!

Thanks for checking by! I'll be tryin' to put up some more discouraging stuff soon I love Franklin, Murphy area! Awesome stuff out there if that's sort of home you speak of. Make a Bluecomet tail this way soon!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #153
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

April 16, 2013

Stormy weather so not sure how my idea of riding is going to work out over the next few days. I may make a ride report out of this but here are just a few highlights of my day.

Incredible send off dinner by mtngal...ribs!!!

Headed westerly...

Morning sun still mostly behind me.

I like riding on weekdays as I get more roads to myself.

I seem to get in TN a lot.

Stormy looking...already been a little wet a few times.

Exploring the road less traveled.

Shacks....good "banjo" country...

Found some good Mex here! If'n you're in Lawrenceburg...

OOps!

Well...full of food, tired, enuf miles for today.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:10 AM
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #154
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Wednesday 4-18-13

Just tossing up a few highlights of the day for friends, family, and interested inmates following my tracks over the next few days. Better details later in a ride report...

This was a very good place to stay and reasonable

Lots of music events up the road from here and think I may have recognized the lady staying here behind my bike....wonder if they are headed toward Austin?

Anybody old enough to remember Fess Parker?

Got it all to myself, basically for the next 300 miles as it turned out!

If'n you want to read it...

They grow a lot of mustard out here...

And red clover

Rode thru 5 miles of this, looked like over a mile wide, April 2011 tornado! ( April? )

Ah, this is better....

Thinking about camping but the forecast shows this approaching squall of big storms, ice rocks falling, and tornados!! Maybe an old man would be smart to find his own rock to hide under a couple days as I am riding right into that thing

Barnett Reservoir I think

Well, 300 on a slow road ( 50 mph speed limit) is enough for today..could be several days til back on the road depending on this weather. I don't mind riding in bad weather but big hail....no thanks!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #155
Bluecomet
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 111

Love those agricultural shots! This beautiful field of yellow flowers is canola. As you mentioned it's in the mustard family. Looks good growing and the oil is good for your body when pressed out of the seed.
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #156
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Wow, you really some sucky riding
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #157
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Lovin' it!!

I'm enjoyin' the hell out of your RR! I knew there's a reason I wanted to move down that way, SUCKY ROADS RULE!

Oh yeah, and dirt don't hurt... unless you hit it too hard!!!

What mirrors are you runnin'? I'm startin' to DS my Cb 750 F/SS and like the looks of 'em, how do they hold up, any vibration come through, etc? Thanks for the info, and stay safe.
slowpoke69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #158
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Thanks Bluecomet for the insight. Nobody grows Canola back up in th' hills so I just thought it was a fancy mustard...at least I had the right family

Thank you Bearcat and slowpoke69 for following me along. I am in Woodville TX now so I'll post some highlights up of that run over from Natchez asap. I am really enjoying these straight roads I am gettin'g a good case of "squar-tar" I think but it's good to see a different world and meet other people as I go.

On those mirrors, I love them. I broke a mirror off my KTM with my right thumb back around Thanksgiving. That steel rod in the mirror did a number on my scaphoid bone and ligament in my thumb! Still hurting! So I did some research and have seen these also on some bikes being ridden by big time world adventurers so here is the deal. It is called a "doubletake" mirror and you can google that to find their site. They sell ram parts to mount the mirrors. I first bought an adapter ball to fit my KTM handlebar mount holes and put on I think its the a 3 inch ram mount holding the mirror...I love that so well that I put them on my GSA with the BMW adapters. This way, the settings are endless of course, they are taller with the longer ram mounts and when I get in the bush or serious off road, I just loosen them a bit and fold them inboard and go. And if I bang my thumb crashing again, they should not be so damaging to me! So, hope that expalins the mirrors and let me know if you need any other info. Oh yeah, no vibration problems..actually an improvement in that department on the KTM....the beemer does not vibrate enough to matter though...

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #159
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

4-20-2013

Headed out of Jackson MS this morning and hope to reach TX. Back on the Natchez Trace. I know it's slow but I have really enjoyed this ride. Very educational if you time time to stop at some of the exhibits.

Here is a bunch of deer near the road if you look carefully.

Seeing Spanish Moss now

The old original trace meanders back and forth across the new modern road. They have exhibits showing the old trace and much of it can be walked. In places, it has sunken as much as 20 feet due to the type of soil it is on. I found this old plaque several miles off the current road as I was just exploring around some and also here is a shot of the old trail which had been improved in the settler days to a wagon road and an oak tree had been cut here with about 100 rings. Some parts of the rings showed a lot of fast growth with big spacing for a number of years then other rings , 10 rings in a row I noted, were very close together and I assume that meant more drought or lower sunlight? I don't know as I am not a botanist but it is still interesting.

Still lots of agriculture which is nice scenery to me

Native American burial mounds. This one and others along the southern end of the trace has a general round shape, many of them on the northern end in and nearer Tenn. actually had a very groomed diamond like shape very similar to the one in downtown Franklin NC.

I found this to be very interesting geology and there is a lot of such exhibits along this road

So you can read it...

A church in Natchez MS

I know there are a lot of ideas about barbeque...well...for me...this was absolutely the best pulled pork I have ever put in my mouth. Just awesome downtown in Natchez.

Pretty town on our biggest river

With my belly full of barbeque I am ready to cross the Missississississippi..

Pecan trees I guess

Louisiana row croppin'

This is when I realize I can't ride a straight road I need those curves to cover up my lack of skill...

I decided to slow down in Pineville and take a break. Here I meet "Cuz". He found my bike a real curiosity. Heck of a nice feller and he rides a 2001 softail but he was in his big pick-up so he could pick-up a few 6 packs His bike was up the street somewhere wherever the brew was going He is going to look me up if he gets in the hills. We decided the beemer might be a bit tall for him so no test ride

Even though I am wearing sun screen and a full face helmet, I still doubt if I am going to have much fresh hide left on my face after riding all these days west into the setting sun.

Might be a bridge to Texas??

Yup!

See this road....speed limit is 75! I can't even ride that fast on here! I was wondering why this guy was on my arse...see mirror above, then I saw the sign...we'll he wasn't there long as I decided to air out my bug collection on into Woodville

Catching up with traffic now

Another 300 miler so that'll do fer this ol' man today...the time is still on eastern hill-time...tomorrow...San Marcos is the plan.

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #160
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Great reading and wonderful pictures.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #161
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Great reading and wonderful pictures.
Hey Bearcat! Thanks. I am near San Marcos now but spent the evening visiting with my son and really enjoyed that. Too late to cough up any photos from today but I'll catch up in a day or two. Headed on west in the morning toward Big Bend area.

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #162
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,121
cool, i did part of natchez about this time last yr. stopped at dang near everyone of those signs. Hiked some of the trails turned into a long day of not many miles

If ya come tru memphis on the way back stop in.

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #163
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
cool, i did part of natchez about this time last yr. stopped at dang near everyone of those signs. Hiked some of the trails turned into a long day of not many miles

If ya come tru memphis on the way back stop in.
Hey Red Bud! Would be nice to see you again! Not sure of my route home yet but of course there ain't many places to cross that river. Headed down into Big Bend in the morning for a few days. Guess it will be at least the weekend before I get back east. Thanks fer checking in with me!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #164
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Saturday 4-20-13

Brief highlights of my shorter ride from Woodville TX to San Marcos. Passed through Livingston, Navasota, Brenhan, and Bastrop. I had planned to go into south Austin but there were so many events going on that I could not find a room unless it cost about $500 I wanted to spend a little time with my son who is living temporarily there so San Marcos was fine and he drove about 40 minutes down there to visit. Great time with him!

Lots of flags today at half mast. I guess for a number of reasons and here I am just a short distance from the fertilizer explosion disaster.

Lake Livingston...big lake as I could barely see the shore line on this side and its a long way to my right from this bridge.

Just wanted to know what number I just passed .......

Good sweepers at about 75

I have no idea what this is or how it happened... but I'll keep it

I have noticed that often they really screw up the line painting job out here...I guess the paint truck was dodging armadillos

Typical east Texas. Grass and big Oaks

I wonder if I buy a windmill and mount it on my top case...can I... nah...prolly would not work

The instruments on this machine get me confused, for example, here I am traveling half as fast as my distance today so far and...I wonder what that has to do with the temperature??

Several areas have been burned out and a lot of homes through here got destroyed too

Ok, I am at my expensive room in San Marcos and made this leg a sort one so I have some time fer my young'un.

No more time to post today's ride but will get to it asap. Found some really neat back road stuff headed over to Fort Stockton that I will share with you soon.

Honda XR 70 R
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #165
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
still lovin all your rides :)