Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Personally, I am more about suspension and brakes. Either air or liquid cooled can make plenty of power. So I don't hate air cooled or liquid cooled. I don't actually care how the motor is cooled. But these days all the dual sports with top shelf suspension are also liquid cooled. So the choice was made for me.
This.

Plus, I hate the look of no radiators, and those weird fins all over the engine

I had an 83 XL600R that would get hot and ping a bit when pushed hard off road in slow conditions, my liquid cooled bikes never have this problem...maybe because they both have fans. I don't "hate" air cooled bikes.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
I love air cooled bikes. I just wish they made more "little ones" with fuel injection for us commuters.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
I love air cooled bikes. I just wish they made more "little ones" with fuel injection for us commuters.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #34
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Looking back on years of riding and wrenching on air cooled bikes from mini bikes,old Bridgestones and Ducatis to oilheads and everything in between I simply can't recall one failure that can be attributed simply to being aircooled. Most were cases of neglect or abuse ,while the rest were wear and tear.Incorrect jetting being a big culprit.
baloneyskin daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Never had a problem with air cooled bikes. I started riding British twins in the 60s. My last air cooled bike was a Yamaha FJ1100. It ran great and gave off less heat than the liquid cooled FJR I ride now.
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
100mpg
This sentance intent

the unknown temperature fluctuations of an air cooled engine contributes to worn out parts more then you think. running very hot and very cool is not good for the internal combustion engine. But I know a couple of deutz air cooled diesel engines that lasted a very long time, under really bad conditions with almost no maintenance. So, it depends.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Ok smarty pants....XR650L.
It's AMAZING what you fail to remember correctly from when you were in your 20's , now pushing 50
Being that the bike is still in production after that many birthday cakes has to be some kind of achievement. Is there a liquid cooled bike that has remained virtually unchanged for that long? KLR doesn't count .
Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #38
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,611
The only real issues i've had with air cooled bike has been riding two-up, slow at high altitudes, ie over 6,000 feet.
Had two airheads and two Guzzis.

The newer dual probe fi systems have been a blessing for the newer air-oil cooled bikes.

All life and all in it is a compromise.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #39
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
the unknown temperature fluctuations of an air cooled engine contributes to worn out parts more then you think. running very hot and very cool is not good for the internal combustion engine. .
How about a make/model/yr./mileage and type of failure to go along with your opinion. (in regards to motorcycles)
I'd like to know whose shitty engineering I should stay away from.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
To add:
Cold is also a potential problem.
I ride down to 15F, and around the 20's the carbs on my bikes would experience icing here in the deep and dirty South, thanks, probably, to the dewpoint and relative humidity that, even in winter, is still quite high.
I had this issue on a couple of bikes, but mostly a ZX7 that just would NOT go in the winter.
The Hondas didn't do this. So, I suspect it has more to do with the carbs. But, they also never seemed to come up to temp when it got that cold, regardless of the brand and carb type. I would ride to work with the choke half on and cranked them fully choked, which was really rare.

My K100 was right as the mail at 15F though. One of the few things it did well.

And the Sportster would foul the shit out of the plugs if you didn't baby it even at 80F. It had to idle til it warmed and then you could ride it.
This is, apparently, normal behavior for the carbed pre rubber mount sportsters.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
What made YOU, hate air cooled bikes?

To clarify what this thread is SUPPOSED to be about....

Let's hear stories about bikes you've had that were air or air/oil cooled that actually over overheated and let you down in some way/shape/form....that swayed you towards liquid cooling.
I has not aware that there were air cooled haters, but I don't follow thumpers forum too much.

I despise the oil cooling system on my Honda Falcon. It has two pumps one in the upper reserve/cooling tank and one down in the engine.To get an accurate oil check, you are supposed to warm the bike 5 minutes at idle from cold, shut down & then check. You cannot check the oil during the day w/o letting the bike cool and then doing the 7 minute drill.

The system is for the birds, if they can't keep the system simple, then might as well have a radiator.

Anyways, I don't give much thought over A\C vs h2o. I wouldn't hesitate to get a DR (air/oil) over an XT or KLR (liquid), but I also wouldn't hesitate to get a KTM 690 or 500exc (liquid) over a DR.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
So far all my bikes have been aircooled and I've never had a problem. On really hot days the Multistrada throws out a little more heat than I'd like but it's not a big deal. Neither ever overheated or pinged when it was hot. The monster didn't like it when it was cold. Think that had more to do with her being carbed and lean.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
How about a make/model/yr./mileage and type of failure to go along with your opinion. (in regards to motorcycles)
I'd like to know whose shitty engineering I should stay away from.
really? not an opinion, its a fact. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
you can look for it here about 4/5th down the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_engine

its not shitty engineering, its just cheaper.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #44
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
To add:
Cold is also a potential problem.
I ride down to 15F, and around the 20's the carbs on my bikes would experience icing here in the deep and dirty South, thanks, probably, to the dewpoint and relative humidity that, even in winter, is still quite high.
My Ural is the least temperature sensitive vehicle I have ever owned, 105 deg, -5 deg, wet or dry, it doesn't care and will start instantly every time. It also doesn't seem to mind stop and go traffic as much as some of the other aircooled bikes I have owned, the idle slows down, but it won't ping or miss.

Low tech has it's advantages.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

Low tech has it's advantages.
Indeed, it does.

I'm not saying every air cooled bike is crap.
I'm just answering the guy's question with real world examples, which is why he started this thread and what he axed for.