Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #91
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
I feel that bike should be a technological showcase up to its price point. Air cooling is not. It also makes for a slow machine, as an air cooled engine that is designed to survive in the real world won't ever make the power of a comparable liquid cooled engine.
You mean like an XR650L vs a KLR650?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #92
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,539
How about taking an air-cooled motorcycle on an underwater river crossing so that (technically) it becomes a water-cooled air-cooled motorcycle?

Crossing the Katherine River Underwater

Quote:
Hans Van Santen from Darwin Yamaha said he had a Yamaha TY250D in stock.
As the river at the time was expected to be 14 ft deep (4.2 meters) scuba gear was called for.
Many hours of water proofing, testing and still more water proofing, it came time to try the real thing. The test itself went off without a hitch although only at a depth of 6 ft, (2 meters). Thinking we had got it licked, I still wanted to improve on the setup.

Quote:
One more test run needed, but . . the nearest water, and warm at that was in Sylvias motel swimming pool. Eleven PM seemed like the perfect time.

Quote:
(Back at the river) . .
Meanwhile under the Katherine River............. the stalled bike was given another workout with the heel on the kickstart only to give a compression kickback (only a motorbike rider knows this pain). And in this instance it threw John over the handlebars while he still had hold of them and under 12 feet of water.
Ah, Australia - Australian motorcycle riders who can plan great deeds with Australian beer . . . for inspiration fuel. Is there any feat that they cannot master?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #93
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,384
I don't hate air cooled bikes.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #94
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Wet bikes make more power per cc

Wet bikes make more power per cc. If I lived in an area that licensed and insured based on cc, I could see the advantage to having a 300ccwater cooled bike over a 650cc air cooled.
As it is, I do my own wrenching and like the simplicity of the air/oil cooled and more specifically, 2 valves per cylinder seem to be perfect for me and my patience level during maintenance. But, the above is certainly a scenario where the wetbike would pull favor, IMO.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #95
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Wet bikes make more power per cc. If I lived in an area that licensed and insured based on cc, I could see the advantage to having a 300ccwater cooled bike over a 650cc air cooled.
As it is, I do my own wrenching and like the simplicity of the air/oil cooled and more specifically, 2 valves per cylinder seem to be perfect for me and my patience level during maintenance. But, the above is certainly a scenario where the wetbike would pull favor, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
You mean like an XR650L vs a KLR650?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #96
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I don't get your quote? I was replying to the Original posted question. I never said anything about comparing a 650 to a 650?
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #97
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,639
I wonder what ever happened to rivercreep...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #98
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,095
Simple is where it's at, I'll take a 250cc aircooled pushrod single with a carberetor, points ignition, and drum brakes over some newfangled computerized bike that starts every time and runs perfect no matter the temperature or altitude. No one really needs more than about 25 hp, and why would you want to stop from 30 mph in less than a quarter mile anyway?

We're not all Ricky racer wannabe's ya know!!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #99
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Simple is where it's at, I'll take a 250cc aircooled pushrod single with a carberetor, points ignition, and drum brakes over some newfangled computerized bike that starts every time and runs perfect no matter the temperature or altitude. No one really needs more than about 25 hp, and why would you want to stop from 30 mph in less than a quarter mile anyway?

We're not all Ricky racer wannabe's ya know!!
I can get you a shiny new one here for under 1500$ is all that with a bit less horsepower and a disc brake in the front. great little pieces of junk from the red china motherland.
I may be waiting for the release of the new water cooled china bikes but may stick with fins...
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #100
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I don't hate air cooled, but I did burn one up.

91 dr650. Weather service said 107 degrees, stuck in muddy riverbed with no wind trying to dig my way down to find a way out. Lots of clutch slipping and full throttle at zero speed.

Instantly began burning a quart every 200 miles. Popped the top and the walls were scored badly. Overbore and wiseco piston kit got it running like a top again.

Overconfidence and gravity hasten your opportunity to make dirt angels
DepthFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #101
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I wonder what ever happened to rivercreep...
He got himself banned almost a year ago, due to idiots who lack reading comprehension skills that put words into his mouth. (toddler on a D.S. thread)

Much to the Chagrin of many (I'm, sure) I'm back and minding my own business these days.

These days I'm perfectly happy to let others live with their misconceptions and ignorance. (it doesn't effect me)

...and for the record, I wish no malice on anyone but, will be entirely happy if/when stupid wipes itself out.

Today, I'm simply happy to be an observer and get all the entertainment value I need, watching everyone else bicker and post dumb ass questions while entertaining dumb ass thoughts. (again, Toddler on a D.S.)

I saw you pose this question while I'm catching up on past posts and felt obligated to answer your question.

B.T.W. Brett, I'm still riding my TU250X and I'm up to over 23,000 actual miles now, despite the speedo cable that keeps breaking/freezing which keeps my mileage down.

...and for the record, this little air cooled wonder (not even an oil cooler) still doesn't burn 1 drop of oil between oil changes, has never overheated AND the valves have stayed in spec (simple screw and lock-nut) since around 15,000 miles...all while flailing the thing to death down the highway @ 70mph on a daily basis. (eat my clean exhaust vapors you KLR oil burners!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #102
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,216
Welcome back creep!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #103
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthFinder View Post
I don't hate air cooled, but I did burn one up.

91 dr650. Weather service said 107 degrees, stuck in muddy riverbed with no wind trying to dig my way down to find a way out. Lots of clutch slipping and full throttle at zero speed.

Instantly began burning a quart every 200 miles. Popped the top and the walls were scored badly. Overbore and wiseco piston kit got it running like a top again.
That abuse would burn up any engine.

I have never had an air cooled engine get too hot, in over a half million miles, many many bikes, all kinds of riding in very hot temperatures. Liquid cooled, lots of problems.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #104
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Everybody knows that an oil cooler is the way to go.
Is that smilie drinking Kool-Ade?

I have owned 3 water cooled bikes. I didn't pick them because they were WC, they were just bikes I wanted. The first and the third ones, (95 Ninja 600c, both) the fairings dump radiator heated air right on your shins, which can make for a scorching ride. The second, an '08 ZX14, didn't blast you with heat. It was pretty quiet with the stock exhaust, but most of the time I had it it had a Brock system on it. All of my other bikes have been air cooled, be they v-twins, parallel twins, or inline fours. And the single I had for a summer.

I really don't mind the engine noise of my cb750, I like hearing all the bits whirling around in there, but my Buell and Road Glide are a bit loud in the exhaust to hear the gears and lifters and such.

I might buy a pair of engine fans for the RG, but I usually don't have to sit in backed up traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
When I was a kid you probably would have gotten beaten up for showing up with a helmet.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #105
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
I had one over heat and seize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
That abuse would burn up any engine.

I have never had an air cooled engine get too hot, in over a half million miles, many many bikes, all kinds of riding in very hot temperatures. Liquid cooled, lots of problems.
It was a little two stroke Yamaha 100 provided for me by a provincial governor here in Thailand, so I could keep an eye on one his pet projects. Finishing early one day, I was caning it on the way home in the hot season early in the afternoon, with the temperature in the high 30's (ºC / approaching 100ºF). Normally I would go home in the cool of the evening.

Scary stuff, with a bus close behind and the back wheel bouncing along the road. I pulled in the clutch, and made it to the shoulder of the road, then let the clutch out as the bike came close to a halt. It freed the piston and the bike started again, but I took a break to let it cool down, then rode on.

The bike was only about three months old, and had done less than 5,000 km. It rattled a bit after that, but still saw me out the year or so till I moved on. Ten years later I went back to visit, and the bike was still in daily use.

I have never owned a water-cooled motorcycle. For high performance machines, sure, liquid cooling handles heat transfer better. For regular getting around, air cooling is just fine.

I don't hate air cooled bikes. I love them for their simplicity.