User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
AKBMW OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Tool Kit

Where can I get an up graded tool kit for the 12gs around town? Might just raid my tools from home. Getting ready for AZ trip leaving Tuesday. Also, where can I find a tire patch kit?

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
tools

get the stop and go plug gun kit it the best there is Barb mite have them at Alaska leather and I think the motorcycle shop has them but cost more. you can get them out of Dennis kirk like I just did in three days. as for tools I would biuld my own kit. this is the pocket gunner way smaller then the standerd kit.

Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,539
Ace has a killer kit. Got anything to repair the rider or the bike.

Check to see if he leaves his bike unattended.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Wanderlust
Just another spoke.....

Oddometer: 134
AKBMW, I'd do a quick search of this site on the stop-n-go tire plugs before buying the kit. I think you'll find most people (not all) don't have anything nice to say about them. If you still want it, you can have my kit, I refuse to use it anymore. The plugs are soft and tend to get cut in half by the cords after a while and you'll find yourself plugging the same hole again. Went through 6 comming down from the arctic circle campgrounds on Dawson Hwy in a single day, same hole. Boot patch in the tire in Fairbanks and I was back to the races.... I've had the same problem on hard roads too, not just the gravel pushing the plug on through (that was my original suspicion of what was going on). I've had much better luck with rope plugs or, better yet, patches.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Question

Funny I have had no such trouble with mine nor have my friends with theres and wouldn't travel with out it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust
AKBMW, I'd do a quick search of this site on the stop-n-go tire plugs before buying the kit. I think you'll find most people (not all) don't have anything nice to say about them. If you still want it, you can have my kit, I refuse to use it anymore. The plugs are soft and tend to get cut in half by the cords after a while and you'll find yourself plugging the same hole again. Went through 6 comming down from the arctic circle campgrounds on Dawson Hwy in a single day, same hole. Boot patch in the tire in Fairbanks and I was back to the races.... I've had the same problem on hard roads too, not just the gravel pushing the plug on through (that was my original suspicion of what was going on). I've had much better luck with rope plugs or, better yet, patches.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,539
You ought to take Wanderlust up on his kind offer.

I don't travel w/ one anymore as my current KTM doesn't have tubeless tires ...but that's the one thing about the bike that I wish I could change. Last year I ran a stop-and-go plug in the rear tire on my GS from Anchorage to Dawson City, YT and back (via the Chicken route) and had no problem at all. It's not like I took it easy either. This pic was taken two up fully loaded, and with a gear to go. That's a dirt & gravel mix you see in the background.

I agree that there are better ways, but this is still a good one and it's amazingly quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike
Funny I have had no such trouble with mine nor have my friends with theres and wouldn't travel with out it.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
Wanderlust
Just another spoke.....

Oddometer: 134
Like I said in my original post, not everybody had negative reviews on the stop-n-go kit, but it seemed like even fewer people had bad reviews of rope plugs. Yea, the kit is fairly quick and easy, but so are rope plugs. Then again, I have really bad luck some days.... ok some weeks.... well years, so maybe it was just me.... (and a bunch of other people). I sincerely hope your luck with the stop-n-go kit is better than mine was, because flat tires suck and I don't wish that on anybody that actually rides (trailer queen owners are another story.)
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote