Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
Freeagain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks Patanga

Het Patanga,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive info/tips.

I have wanted one of these since they were launched (I was 12 then), and love the bike, so I would hate to screw up the beasty!

I am changing the big end shells whilst I am there, even though no excessive movement (seems to be the conventional wisdom on ADV). Any tips on this?

Where are you in Qld? I come up occasionally, and would love to stop by with a refreshment to say thanks.

Very grateful,

Toby
Freeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #32
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagain View Post
Het Patanga,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive info/tips.

I have wanted one of these since they were launched (I was 12 then), and love the bike, so I would hate to screw up the beasty!

I am changing the big end shells whilst I am there, even though no excessive movement (seems to be the conventional wisdom on ADV). Any tips on this?

Where are you in Qld? I come up occasionally, and would love to stop by with a refreshment to say thanks.

Very grateful,

Toby
No worries 'Freeagain'... I wish you success with the build and many happy k's from there. Got your PM so we might catch up when you come to sunny Qld.......... Quick question for you... Got any tips on who's going to win the 'Origin' game tonight?

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:54 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
I think patanga's advise has a big no no in it. Heating up the crank sprocket till if changes colors is softening the sprocket's temper! That sprocket wears enough as they come! Personally, I am very careful not to change the color of even the very tips of the sprocket teeth for the same reason. If I do, I get a new sprocket. It's very easy to do too heating them up with flame!

Installing the master link? Use the old master link to hold the chain together and push it out with the new master link. That is the best way to deal with that issue IMO.

supershaft screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 11:19 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,282
The most finicky part of the timing chain for me was getting the master link in from the rear of the chain. I had not done this before and I think I took at least an hour of attempts before I thought of this. I took a bit of wire - a straightened paper clip - and super glued one end of it with a tiny drop of glue to the back side of the master link. I bent the wire to the right angle and slipped it in place as easy as pie. After the link was secured a twist of the wire and the glue broke free.

I hope it is as easy for you now.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I think patanga's advise has a big no no in it. Heating up the crank sprocket till if changes colors is softening the sprocket's temper! That sprocket wears enough as they come! Personally, I am very careful not to change the color of even the very tips of the sprocket teeth for the same reason. If I do, I get a new sprocket. It's very easy to do too heating them up with flame!

Installing the master link? Use the old master link to hold the chain together and push it out with the new master link. That is the best way to deal with that issue IMO.
You're totally correct there supershaft. What you are looking at in the pictures is an old gear and set up for the purposes of the photo guide. In heating them for removal I'm less concerned as they aren't going to be reused. I'm very careful not to over cook them pre fitment. Can't hurt to say it again though... Don't heat the sprocket or bearing too much....

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:54 PM
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
supershaft
because I can

+1 You can easily mess up roller bearings heating them with flame. One race expands more than the other and it dents the races/flattens the balls. That's what they make bearing heaters for. I wish they weren't so expensive!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
+1 You can easily mess up roller bearings heating them with flame. One race expands more than the other and it dents the races/flattens the balls. That's what they make bearing heaters for. I wish they weren't so expensive!
Right again.. The cost of bearing heaters is crazy money but obviously the ideal. I prefer to use the hot air gun on the roller bearing than a flame. Still not the ideal I know, but less risk of damage with hot air is my theory.

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:55 PM
Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
The cheap way to heat them up evenly is in a can full of old motor oil on a hotplate on low. Get it nice and hot and dunk the bearing in there for a bit. A heat gun makes less of a mess though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #39
supershaft
because I can

Or your handy shop toaster oven. That's the best way IMO. (Minus a bearing heater.)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #40
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,370
Excellent stuff guys. I've entered this thread into the padmei hall of fame on my laptop. Pics tell such a lot more than words
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote