ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
Freeagain OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney - A long way from the dirt
Oddometer: 32
Thanks Patanga

Het Patanga,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive info/tips.

I have wanted one of these since they were launched (I was 12 then), and love the bike, so I would hate to screw up the beasty!

I am changing the big end shells whilst I am there, even though no excessive movement (seems to be the conventional wisdom on ADV). Any tips on this?

Where are you in Qld? I come up occasionally, and would love to stop by with a refreshment to say thanks.

Very grateful,

Toby
Freeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #32
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder
 
patanga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Australia Qld
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagain View Post
Het Patanga,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive info/tips.

I have wanted one of these since they were launched (I was 12 then), and love the bike, so I would hate to screw up the beasty!

I am changing the big end shells whilst I am there, even though no excessive movement (seems to be the conventional wisdom on ADV). Any tips on this?

Where are you in Qld? I come up occasionally, and would love to stop by with a refreshment to say thanks.

Very grateful,

Toby
No worries 'Freeagain'... I wish you success with the build and many happy k's from there. Got your PM so we might catch up when you come to sunny Qld.......... Quick question for you... Got any tips on who's going to win the 'Origin' game tonight?

____________________
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory" (Joe Garcia)

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:54 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,199
I think patanga's advise has a big no no in it. Heating up the crank sprocket till if changes colors is softening the sprocket's temper! That sprocket wears enough as they come! Personally, I am very careful not to change the color of even the very tips of the sprocket teeth for the same reason. If I do, I get a new sprocket. It's very easy to do too heating them up with flame!

Installing the master link? Use the old master link to hold the chain together and push it out with the new master link. That is the best way to deal with that issue IMO.

supershaft screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 11:19 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,282
The most finicky part of the timing chain for me was getting the master link in from the rear of the chain. I had not done this before and I think I took at least an hour of attempts before I thought of this. I took a bit of wire - a straightened paper clip - and super glued one end of it with a tiny drop of glue to the back side of the master link. I bent the wire to the right angle and slipped it in place as easy as pie. After the link was secured a twist of the wire and the glue broke free.

I hope it is as easy for you now.
__________________
Honda ST1300
Honda NC700X
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder
 
patanga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Australia Qld
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I think patanga's advise has a big no no in it. Heating up the crank sprocket till if changes colors is softening the sprocket's temper! That sprocket wears enough as they come! Personally, I am very careful not to change the color of even the very tips of the sprocket teeth for the same reason. If I do, I get a new sprocket. It's very easy to do too heating them up with flame!

Installing the master link? Use the old master link to hold the chain together and push it out with the new master link. That is the best way to deal with that issue IMO.
You're totally correct there supershaft. What you are looking at in the pictures is an old gear and set up for the purposes of the photo guide. In heating them for removal I'm less concerned as they aren't going to be reused. I'm very careful not to over cook them pre fitment. Can't hurt to say it again though... Don't heat the sprocket or bearing too much....

____________________
____________________
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory" (Joe Garcia)

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:54 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,199
+1 You can easily mess up roller bearings heating them with flame. One race expands more than the other and it dents the races/flattens the balls. That's what they make bearing heaters for. I wish they weren't so expensive!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder
 
patanga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Australia Qld
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
+1 You can easily mess up roller bearings heating them with flame. One race expands more than the other and it dents the races/flattens the balls. That's what they make bearing heaters for. I wish they weren't so expensive!
Right again.. The cost of bearing heaters is crazy money but obviously the ideal. I prefer to use the hot air gun on the roller bearing than a flame. Still not the ideal I know, but less risk of damage with hot air is my theory.

____________________
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory" (Joe Garcia)

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:55 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,324
The cheap way to heat them up evenly is in a can full of old motor oil on a hotplate on low. Get it nice and hot and dunk the bearing in there for a bit. A heat gun makes less of a mess though.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #39
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,199
Or your handy shop toaster oven. That's the best way IMO. (Minus a bearing heater.)
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #40
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,370
Excellent stuff guys. I've entered this thread into the padmei hall of fame on my laptop. Pics tell such a lot more than words
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014