User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
240sx4u OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
What are you guys using for mirrors?

Unbelievably my bike is ready to ride. I don't have any mirrors right now. I had a couple crappy bar end mirrors but they didn't fit very well and interfered with the mile long clutch lever.

What are you guys using? I'd like to use bar end mirrors and some recommendations would be appreciated. The hole in the controls for the left mirror is stripped out and I'd rather not go down that road!

Thank you.

Evan
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 779
Hey Evan. Unfortumately I don't know the brand name of these--bought them used, but here's how one looks. Sorry for the bad pic:

The main reason I love them is they're real low, which is real important when lane-splitting to and from work every day. But since California's still the only state where splitting is legal, this point is all but moot for you in WI. They're adjustable also--fore and art and up and down.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 779
And a view from the front:

Good luck!

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:05 AM   #4
240sx4u OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Those look like Napoleon mirrors. I really like the way they look. The knockoff set I have is like those. I was having a hell of a time mounting them so the clutch lever didn't interfere with the mount. It seems like the clutch lever is so long that it actually sticks out past the handgrip when it's pulled in.

I've been considering shortening the lever a little bit, which would solve many of my problems.

You're correct that we can't lane split here, but thankfully most riding I do is going to be in wide open spaces or on my commute to work. Traffic here isn't bad at all.

Thank you for the images.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
JGT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I have the Halcyon bar end mirrors on my /5:
http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-m...e-mirrors.html

They are high quality and work great.
JGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
TDL028
man of leisure

Oddometer: 385
meh.. who needs mirrors

mine came with these mirrors.. which immediately came off. i think these were stocks with new stainless stem/mount. problem was they always moved around. image by TDL028, on Flickr

ive also used those small round chinese bar end mirrors a few times. they work well if adjusted correctly. usually the black "anodizing" turns purple if left in the sun for a while. looking for a better pic of them

image by TDL028, on Flickr
Instagram: too_many_projects
Gasoline_Heaven

TDL028 screwed with this post 04-09-2015 at 06:10 AM
TDL028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 713
I just mounted these up, but not as bar end mirrors. I took them apart and removed the portion that inserts into the bar end and mounted them hanging down just inside the controls/levers. I run pretty wide GS bars so there was plenty of room. I still need to fine tune their positioning, but they actually work better than the "lollipop"/standard style mirrors they replaced. The convex shape really gives you a lot of sight behind you. It just takes a few miles to get your brain around the slightly distorted view. I think they look pretty cool too the way I've got them mounted, you almost don't even notice them. Been meaning to snap a pic, but keep forgetting to do so. I'll add one when I get to it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and the price is hard to beat.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,527
doubletake mirrors are probably not what you were looking for, but they work great!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
The convex shape really gives you a lot of sight behind you. It just takes a few miles to get your brain around the slightly distorted view
Can't say enough about convex mirrors. I have no blind spot--I can see the left headlight of a car behind me in my right mirror and vise-versa. I feel a little nervous riding without convex mirrors now. Riding with no mirrors? Screw that!

fwiw, I have cheap, wide, rectangular mirrors run to ram mounts on my knuckle guards. I can swing them in when I go offroad. Not likely a solution for a road bike though.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 496
Albert. My favorite of any bike I have ever been on—looks, construction, and function. For my body size, I can see perfectly, and the vibration range of the long stalks is not bad at all.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptD View Post
Albert. My favorite of any bike I have ever been on—looks, construction, and function. For my body size, I can see perfectly, and the vibration range of the long stalks is not bad at all.

They're very odd to my eye. And I like them because of it.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
SculptD
Smells like tech

And I got these from Bob's. Can't remember the brand name (edit: Ken Sean). I love the look, but the construction is lacking (hey, they are only $25, so that's what I expected). The mount is rubber, and I couldn't get them to stay put, so I fabricated a metal mount. Then maybe the vibration was too much for one of them and it just snapped off. Did I mention that they were cheap? I still like the look and they function pretty well for me.

SculptD screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 09:15 AM
SculptD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:

That's nice! Those Alberts are mounted reversed from the usual position (left-right sides swapped). Do they work well like that?

Looks like that tank has been modded a bit - filled in the knee pad recess. Any info/more pics?
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
SculptD
Smells like tech

Yeah, I did a double take on that question of whether they were mounted right in that photo. As I recall that was a pre-ride shot, but I don't remember changing them. Here is a more current shot with a more pared down version of the bike. I didn't do the tank, and it's still a paint job from before my time (photo makes the red look lousy, it's nicer than that).

Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Yeah, I did a double take on that question of whether they were mounted right in that photo. As I recall that was a pre-ride shot, but I don't remember changing them. Here is a more current shot with a more pared down version of the bike. I didn't do the tank, and it's still a paint job from before my time (photo makes the red look lousy, it's nicer than that).

Very beautiful! I like that tank, it gives it a very clean look.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote