Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
4corners14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Let me know if we're biting off more than we can chew......

3 - KTM 990 Adventures leave Seattle on July 12th and we have to be back by July 31st. Below is our tentative schedule. We'll be picking up another rider who's flying into Anchorage and renting a KLR for a week to do the runs to Deadhorse and Inuvik with us. I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not the mileages listed are reasonably doable, or if I've overestimated the possibilities. It would be great to be able to go at a more relaxed pace, but to get to both Prudhoe and Inuvik, it requires some fairly big days. 3 out of four of us are accustomed to 600+ days, one of the 990 riders is just getting back to the street, but he rides a 520 KTM dualsport. Each color indicates a days riding. Your thoughts?

4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,598
The only thing missing from that schedule is a good time.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
No Dawson City YT ? It's one of the funnier destinations.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
4corners14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Dawson City...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
No Dawson City YT ? It's one of the funnier destinations.

We'll be going through it.....no plans to stay there.....yet
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I've no doubt you can do that but IMHO you'll get back home and wish you'd have dropped one of your destinations (I would axe the Inuvik leg) and allowed some time to experience a little more of the surroundings and culture (or lack there of in some cases). A day here or there, like in Dawson City, to stretch your legs and check stuff out is just a good time.

Whatever you chose have a blast!!
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
3 - KTM 990 Adventures leave Seattle on July 12th and we have to be back by July 31st. Below is our tentative schedule. We'll be picking up another rider who's flying into Anchorage and renting a KLR for a week to do the runs to Deadhorse and Inuvik with us. I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not the mileages listed are reasonably doable, or if I've overestimated the possibilities. It would be great to be able to go at a more relaxed pace, but to get to both Prudhoe and Inuvik, it requires some fairly big days. 3 out of four of us are accustomed to 600+ days, one of the 990 riders is just getting back to the street, but he rides a 520 KTM dualsport. Each color indicates a days riding. Your thoughts?
If the weather cooperates in the least on the two northernmost legs, it looks to be a rather relaxed pace overall. There are places you could do more miles than you have scheduled, allowing you to spend more time in some of the "funner" spots, such as Dawson City.

Recommendation: Don't make reservations unless absolutely necessary. That way you can adjust daily mileages according to how the riding is going.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
That is a gentle, sedate touring itinerary. No Problem.
The only recommendations I have are to spend fewer days in and around Anchorage, and to just use coldfoot as a fuel stop, and not a destination.
Fairbanks to Deadhorse is only 11 hours, plus or minus lunch.
You can generally escape Anchorage in under 20 minutes, unless it's rush hour.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,598
Guess you could tell from my earlier comment that I'm in the minority in that I think your pace does not allow for enjoying what you're doing and where you are.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I made the trip from NY to Deadhorse last July. It is tough to balance the sightseeing and fun stuff with hitting some destinations in a limited amount of time.
In July you have plenty of daylight. My concern about stopping for the night was mostly the availability of fuel. That and there is not much point in beating yourself up only to be tired the next day.
A few of the stops on your route are the same as my return trip from AK to meet with my wife and friends for our vacation in B.C.. The mileages are definitely do-able if weather cooperates.

I am glad that I did the trip. High mileage and short time (12k + miles / 21 road days) were not the best scenario, but the second best vacation that I ever had.

Only problem with the high mileage, short time schedule is that I can't stop thinking and plotting how I can get a month off to do the trip again. And hit both Deadhorse and Inuvik this time!
dirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 661
I am with you Kevin. He will remember best the gas stops.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
I'd stay in Whitehorse instead of Haines Junction. Whitehorse is just that much more fun.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 925
Those 500+ days will not be much fun IMO. Definitely doable but long. Four of us did a 5400 mile trip from SLC to AK in 16 days. Pace wasn't particularly fast but looking back we wished we had put two or three "free" days in the schedule where we didn't have to cover any ground.
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Guess you could tell from my earlier comment that I'm in the minority in that I think your pace does not allow for enjoying what you're doing and where you are.
No I with you Kevin just another haul ass do nothing but ride. One of the reasons I solo on long rides I do my own thing (I don't want to deal with someone else's expectations) no schedule I will get there when I get there or go as far as I want go back. Plus the weather and road conditions will dictate how long and fast you go many have found this out the hard way.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
Those 500+ days will not be much fun IMO. Definitely doable but long. Four of us did a 5400 mile trip from SLC to AK in 16 days. Pace wasn't particularly fast but looking back we wished we had put two or three "free" days in the schedule where we didn't have to cover any ground.
+1

A lot of those high mile days are on the least prepared roads too, many of your low mile days are on smooth sailing stuff, which I guess would allow you more time if you did get behind schedule. I think there are so many fun little excursions one can take up here like the Denali Hwy, Petersville Rd back to the old mines, McCarthy, even Hatcher Pass. Slow down and smell the wild roses.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
It's a matter of goals

Ok another Adventure rider wanting to have his ticket punched by getting to the end of the earth. So ride hard, take the picture and tell the story to the folks back home. Then when you have another vacation come on back to Alaska and take it slow and easy and see what you missed.

So you have set your goals and it's all doable.

Or tell the boss you need an extra week of vacation and enjoy yourself.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote