ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #256
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Version 3 of this ride now available for download.

Did some more mapping/scouting recently. Made some changes to the GPS file but no changes to the gas card/mileage.

The changes take out some road sections and replace them with trail sections. Biggest chance was between Phillips and Sailor Lake.





Download most recent GPX (Version 3) at the bottom of this page.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #257
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Im planning to go through northern Wisconsin coming back on my Alaska trip next year; I was born in Racine, lived in Union Grove for 10 years of my childhood, but never made it farther north than the Dells.

Think this trail is passable by a DR650?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #258
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Im planning to go through northern Wisconsin coming back on my Alaska trip next year; I was born in Racine, lived in Union Grove for 10 years of my childhood, but never made it farther north than the Dells.

Think this trail is passable by a DR650?
Yes. It won't be fun on a heavily loaded bike.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #259
mhking
Adventurer
 
mhking's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Havelock NC
Oddometer: 46
Gps

Hey everyone new to this form and not acutaly in WI yet but when i get out of the Marines i plan on doin this trip. Well my question is what kinda of GPS should i use? any imput would be appreciated.
__________________
09 XR650L
mhking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #260
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
Hey everyone new to this form and not acutaly in WI yet but when i get out of the Marines i plan on doin this trip. Well my question is what kinda of GPS should i use? any imput would be appreciated.
One that takes tracks.

There are a coule of good threads stickied in the GPS segment of this forum that will answer your questions about which unit you might want.

Looking forward to you getting a chance to enjoy this ride!
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #261
mhking
Adventurer
 
mhking's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Havelock NC
Oddometer: 46
Thanks much cannon for the link helps alot.

Also i cant wait for this ride and is awsome you took the time to map it for everyone.
__________________
09 XR650L
mhking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #262
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer
 
Schmittenhymer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kagawong, Ontario
Oddometer: 645
Looks like a great ride Bryan, I'm definitely interested.

Love the rocky hill climb!
__________________
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
2006 KTM 525EXC
2007 Suzuki SV650S (wife's)
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #263
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Lots of people are making plans for this ride this season.

I have heard from two of the places where we motel it. They point out that during the tourist season they have a two night minimum for rooms. This is common and understandable since they potentially lose one night's lodging by only booking one weekend night. There should be no problem with single night lodging during the week. Well . . . except in Bayfield which is booked most of the summer. There is a city campground in Bayfield as an alternative.

Might be handy to plan to camp weekend nights.

Looks like the two groups riding in May booked lodging without a problem.

Anxious for the snow to melt and the forest roads to open up so we can give this another lap.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #264
award900
Gnarly Adventurer
 
award900's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Twin Cities, Mn
Oddometer: 247
Cannonshot, thanks for all your work.
award900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #265
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by award900 View Post
Cannonshot, thanks for all your work.
You are quite welcome. Hope you get to enjoy this ride.

I was just up in the area of this ride yesterday and today. It was snowing a bit while I was there and the woods are still full of snow. For anyone thinking about riding this early in May, there may be a delay before some of the trails are open due to wet conditions. I think we had a ten day delay in the past when it was very wet (from the normal 1 May date). Just so no one is surprised on an early trip . . .
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #266
JaiDee
Petrolhead
 
JaiDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Fateville, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
You are quite welcome. Hope you get to enjoy this ride.

I was just up in the area of this ride yesterday and today. It was snowing a bit while I was there and the woods are still full of snow. For anyone thinking about riding this early in May, there may be a delay before some of the trails are open due to wet conditions. I think we had a ten day delay in the past when it was very wet (from the normal 1 May date). Just so no one is surprised on an early trip . . .
Four of us from NW Arkansas returned home yesterday after spending last week riding the trail. It was generally in very good condition with reasonable mud holes (most seemed to have relatively little water in them), mostly compacted (due to lots of rain?) sand and hungry mosquitoes.

We planned to ride the trail in 6 segments over 7 days, averaging a little less than 200 miles per day, then spending an extra day in Bayfield for a mid-ride R&R before looping back towards Mountain.

Our first day (Mountain to just beyond Tipler...155+ miles) was rainy and made seeing anything on the trail very challenging. We were surprised how slow our progress was and ended up rerouting and having to slab many more miles than we wanted in the late afternoon to make it to our motel (Santa's Backwoods Motel) before it got dark. It was a great day for our "leader" to pick up ticks though.

Unfortunately, a very large and powerful storm made us change our plans on the last day. We cancelled our ride from Antigo back to Mountain, loaded up the truck and headed south for home. 9 hours later, we finally emerged from the driving rain and got in front of the storm system and watched the outside temperature rise from 68 to 91 degrees.

The NWAT is a great ride with plenty of variety in the riding. A full report of our adventures is posted in the ride reports as "Hog Wild on the NWAT."

Many thanks to Cannonshot and any others who may have helped put the route together. Great fun!

-JD
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #267
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,454
WOW! Great stuff Bryan!

Two of us snuck behind the Cheddar Curtain this past weekend and ran everything west of Eagle River and the a couple of other tracks of yours out of there.



Very much enjoyed the ATV trails near cable- as much fun as the mountain biking there.

Of course, this trip was a test of man and machine. Men did mostly OK after a cold beer or two at night. Machines occasionally needed more help.



As per usual, many local residents knew exactly who we were and what we were up to. Just reminds us of all the work you put into these things. Definitely appreciated!
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #268
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
WOW! Great stuff Bryan!

Two of us snuck behind the Cheddar Curtain this past weekend and ran everything west of Eagle River and the a couple of other tracks of yours out of there.



Very much enjoyed the ATV trails near cable- as much fun as the mountain biking there.

Of course, this trip was a test of man and machine. Men did mostly OK after a cold beer or two at night. Machines occasionally needed more help.



As per usual, many local residents knew exactly who we were and what we were up to. Just reminds us of all the work you put into these things. Definitely appreciated!
Great to see you getting to enjoy this stuff James! That adventure trail is one of my most favorites right now.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #269
theBikeman
Dual Sport Rider
 
theBikeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Palatine, IL
Oddometer: 79
Monty that did the initial group run with CannonShot last year took 8 of us from Chicagoland Dual-Sport Riders (CDSR) on the NWAT in late June.

Here's a link to my ride report and videos for each day:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21949595

Cannonshot, I cannot thank you enough for all the work you did to make this track a reality. It was really incredible.

Monty, thanks for leading our group and doing all the logistics.

RocketMan thanks for the raw video to edit, after I pulled the bonehead move of the century and had my lens rotated to portrait mode for the entire trip.

To all my fellow riders. You are the best. Thanks for trusting I would not ruin the trip after dislocating my shoulder and smashing my foot twelve days before the trip. It was a pleasure and a honor to share this epic adventure with you all.
-Bikeman

theBikeman screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 08:11 AM
theBikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #270
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
Monty that did the initial group run with CannonShot last year took 8 of us from Chicagoland Dual-Sport Riders (CDSR) on the NWAT in late June.

Here's a link to my ride report and videos for each day:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21949595

Cannonshot, I cannot thank you enough for all the work you did to make this track a reality. It was really incredible.

Monty, thanks for leading our group and doing all the logistics.

RocketMan thanks for the raw video to edit, after I pulled the bonehead move of the century and had my lens rotated to portrait mode for the entire trip.

To all my fellow riders. You are the best. Thanks for trusting I would not ruin the trip after dislocating my shoulder and smashing my foot twelve days before the trip. It was a pleasure and a honor to share this epic adventure with you all.
-Bikeman
Looks like you guys had some challenges! Makes for a memorable experience. Glad you go a chance to enjoy this ride. This one of my favorites.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014