User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,197
Well I had a great time on this trip.

Thanks Cannon for putting everything together. It was a good group to ride with, everybody pretty evenly paced and well prepared made for easier riding. This ride may not be for everybody, but with the right equipment and skills, it sure made for a great ride.

A couple of things I learned along the way: steer clear of Northwoods gas station chicken salad sandwiches and Warblers
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
no_rice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
im definitely going to have to check into this. ive spent many a winter running around that whole area weeks at a time on the snowmobiles. some of my greatest memories growing up.

and within the last month my dad just bought a house on the river up outside of hayward, so id have a base camp to head out of!!! i like this idea!

my main question is if the husky sm610 will get by with some decent dual sport tires or if you really think someone would have to have knobbies. taking into account that i gravel, sand road, and timber ride all my buells and the husky currently with complete street tires...
no_rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

excellent topic and territory!
Hope you enjoy this. Beautiful area and these paths take you through the heart of much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opt8low View Post
Thanks for putting this together Cannon. Gives me one more reason to get out of the chair and do some riding close to home.

I will keep an eye out for the Cannontrek.....

Dana
Thanks for joining in Dana. Much of this could be knocked off a few pieces at a time from where you are at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcho View Post
We are tuned in...
Hi Dave. Some of your friends from the LP might enjoy doing this ride. Some new territory to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Bring it on! This part of the US looks incredible and I bet its an overlooked gem. THX!
Thanks for tuning in. The northwoods are awesome and combined with a couple of the Great Lakes, even better!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I'm N !
Looks like a good time.
Hi Don! Thanks for riding along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Looks awesome!!!

Excellent work as usual from Cannonshot!!!!
Yo Bob! Another version of the UP ride with a Wisconsin background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyOne View Post
It is amazing country up there and very peaceful! Looking forward to another great report with awesome pics. Thanks Cannon for your level of detail.
Thanks Lumpy. Hopefully the detail will encourage some people out on this track for a grat trip of their own!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Well I had a great time on this trip.

Thanks Cannon for putting everything together. It was a good group to ride with, everybody pretty evenly paced and well prepared made for easier riding. This ride may not be for everybody, but with the right equipment and skills, it sure made for a great ride.

A couple of things I learned along the way: steer clear of Northwoods gas station chicken salad sandwiches and Warblers
Thanks for coming along Zed! It was great sharing the ride with you. Anxious to have you share more about your experience as we go along.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_rice View Post
im definitely going to have to check into this. ive spent many a winter running around that whole area weeks at a time on the snowmobiles. some of my greatest memories growing up.

and within the last month my dad just bought a house on the river up outside of hayward, so id have a base camp to head out of!!! i like this idea!

my main question is if the husky sm610 will get by with some decent dual sport tires or if you really think someone would have to have knobbies. taking into account that i gravel, sand road, and timber ride all my buells and the husky currently with complete street tires...
Well, I'm not sure there is a definitive answer about bikes and tires.

The ride involves some deep sand in a lot of places and edging whoops and rounding deep sand corners will probably require an appropriate knobby. I like to use Maxxis desert tires as they are durable and can handle sand and rocks. There is also some mud to deal with and filling up a tire or skittering around on wet grass with something other than an adequate knobby might not be much fun.

I see this as a ride for small-medium dual sport. I have a KLR and I wouldn't ride it on this path. No doubt someone can and will but it would be a heavy bike and the limited suspension will not be good. At the pace we tackled this, suspension was important. There is a significant amount of sand to push and there are also some fallen trees that need to be crossed at odd angles and in odd places along the two tracks. A lighter, well suspended bike will make for the best riding.

For much of the ride someone could probably plod along at a slower speed and manage everything OK with a less than ideal set up, but it is difficult to plod along in deep sand. Once has to sustain sufficient speed to stay on top and still be able to handle the bike.

There is not much on this route that is going to take you out technically, but you will have to go for extended distances on rugged trails. This takes a toll by itself. Trying to ride it on less than a good set up makes it that much more taxing.

Hope this paints a better picture.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
Thanks for pulling this one together, Cannon. I had a great time as well and because I went with the "Mega Omelette" as the gas station, I avoided the food poisoning that befell the good DR Zed.

I second what Cannon is pushing about this being an ideal ride for small / medium dual sports. I would have been a martyr for big adventure bikes on my 950 ADV. The DRZ was a great mount for this ride. Small enough to handle the ATV trails, powerful enough to make it through deep sand and cut-up the gravel forest roads.

I will jump in and explain some of the photos and experiences as the ride report gets built-out. Getting my camera out was a real pain because of dust-clogged zippers on my Moose pack. I only have a few photos and one video to share. I'll post at the appropriate time.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Continuing on to first gas.

Much of this path runs through county, state, and national forests. These are working forests which means you are likely to encounter logging equipment and trucks.

Quite a bit of dust in open areas that dry out quickly. Don't forget to plan for maintaining air filters. I use a filter skin to get a little more life out my filter. The boys can tell you about field expedients for cleaning filters as we get further along in the report.

Monty used Dirt Bagz. I used to use them and found they worked well. This time I used a small backpack which I didn't like. Next time I'll go back to a small waterproof duffel strapped to the back of the seat. Monty will likely share about how the bags worked for this trip.

Sometimes little unexpected hazards sneak up on you as you travel along. This one wasn't too bad as it wasn't too deep of a washout.

I like to ride solo on some of these paths. Sometimes that is not a good idea. A two track like this may not see traffic for weeks or maybe even until hunting season. Best to take appropriate precautions if you opt to ride this alone (or join a CannonTrek if you can't find a riding partner).

Mudholes are part of the program. Most are mild, some are significant, and some surprise you.

By the way, Peet makes these very portable boot dryers you can pack along. They will dry your moto boots overnight. I think they run about $20.

There is a real dilemma about what to do about tire pressure on this trip. There is significant sand on the east and west sides and a lot of rocks (much worse than this) in the middle. Rather than screw around, I kept the pressure up (18/23) and in combination with heavy tubes and slime avoided a lot of pinch flats I probably otherwise earned. No flats for any of us on this trip.

I had to put a by-pass in on this part of the track (yellow line). It takes us around "The Pipeline" which is a 4WD path that doesn't open until June 1st. That, and there is a temporary closure on it right now because the gas pipeline is exposed in one location.

Here are a few pix from when freeflow and I rode my Wisconsin-Michigan Adventure Trail which runs down the Pipeline.

There are some deep gouged out waterholes along this path. Stay out of them or you may disappear.

There is a rugged rock climb on the 4WD path that you can negotiate on a bike. Better have a good bash plate though. There is also a go-around that has some steps on it.

Time for a break at a gas stop.

Breakfast.

We'll have to see how that gas station chicken salad sandwich works out for Zed further down the trail.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 10:36 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Breakfast.

We'll have to see how that gas station chicken salad sandwich works out for Zed further down the trail.

Ooohhh.... Ominous foreshadowing

This can only end badly

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
Thanks for pulling this one together, Cannon. I had a great time as well and because I went with the "Mega Omelette" as the gas station, I avoided the food poisoning that befell the good DR Zed.

I second what Cannon is pushing about this being an ideal ride for small / medium dual sports. I would have been a martyr for big adventure bikes on my 950 ADV. The DRZ was a great mount for this ride. Small enough to handle the ATV trails, powerful enough to make it through deep sand and cut-up the gravel forest roads.

I will jump in and explain some of the photos and experiences as the ride report gets built-out. Getting my camera out was a real pain because of dust-clogged zippers on my Moose pack. I only have a few photos and one video to share. I'll post at the appropriate time.
Just dawned on me that was the first and last gas station breakfast on this trip.

Glad to have had you along Monty!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Collarbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
great

Well looking forward to doing this , although I will have the dr even though its a pig, its the only ds I have for now.
Collarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Rounding out the team was BENRON, another former CannonTrekker, who also rode a WR250.

Thats ME!

The WR250R was a good choice for the trip, But if I only had a 650 class machine in the garage, It wouldn't stop me from taking this route. Hell, I'd even take a 950 on it if that's all I had... But you'd better be comfortable in the sand, put some nice knobby tires on it, bring some buddies to help you pick it up, and budget more time for riding each day to make the mileage.

I had mine set up with some dirt bike tire take offs that worked well enough, but the front was d-u-n DONE after 1000 miles. Skidplate took some pretty good hits from kicked up rocks--Glad I had it. Sturdy hand guards did an admirable job of deflecting overhanging shrubbery. This is the first time I got to use my medium sized nomad rider bag. I'm pretty happy with it- Plenty of room for all the stuff I wanted, But would've been hurting if we were trying to camp. You can see that little bent aluminum strap I made to keep it off the pipe. Not sure if necessary, But it provided peace of mind.

I, Also, had an Extreme omelet bfast sandwich.
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,184
In.
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:

-063-XL.jpg[/IMG]
Oh yeah, there's the sand

Looks like another great ride Cannon..
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
I had mine set up with some dirt bike tire take offs that worked well enough, but the front was d-u-n DONE after 1000 miles. Skidplate took some pretty good hits from kicked up rocks--Glad I had it. Sturdy hand guards did an admirable job of deflecting overhanging shrubbery. This is the first time I got to use my medium sized nomad rider bag. I'm pretty happy with it- Plenty of room for all the stuff I wanted, But would've been hurting if we were trying to camp. You can see that little bent aluminum strap I made to keep it off the pipe. Not sure if necessary, But it provided peace of mind.

If you and DR Zed want to go into excruciatingly painful details on your WR setups for this trip, I'm listening.

A WRR literally just followed me home from work tonight. In the rain and 50F temps. It's like it's predestined for cannontrekking or something.

This ride is definitely on the TODO list for this summer. I'd love to hear what worked for you guys. First couple pitchers in Copper Harbor are on me next time you roll through.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote