User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #61
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,988
Dead Horse Run and on to Drummond.

The Dead Horse is a USFS motorized trail that runs through some rugged forest country. There are a bunch of elk running around the area as well. Even though it has been pretty dry, the DHR always holds water on the trail. It wasn't as bad a usual though. Never "trust" a mud hole on the DHR. There are often deep ruts from ATVs and rocks under the water that could swamp you or tip you over in the water.

Something like this is often much deeper than it is now.

Example off youtube.

Example from one of my previous forays on the DHR. Clicky

I should mention that there are a lot of trees and limbs down along these paths that need to be crossed.

At least the trail wasn't as dusty in this area.

As is sometimes the case, when you least expect it you will crest a hill and then go into an off camber corner that has this trail stabilizing material in it. With the loose material on top, it is very poor traction for a bike.

Radiator guard coming loose. Stopped for a field expedient repair. The rocks on these trails can really pound and shake a bike (and rider).

Photographic evidence that I actually was on my own ride.

Two way traffic (short segment blocked, had to reroute).

There is bar food available in Drummond across from the post office. Not really many options out in the sticks.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 08:04 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #62
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,827
Beautiful!

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #63
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
Hitting the Bayfield side of the loop from the rally site would be a blast.

<---- Cannon - I had to repurpose one of the photos you took as my new avatar picture. Thanks! Great photo work.
You leadin?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #64
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
....every time I open my my big mouth.

You going to be there the whole week?
yep. Friday noonish til the next sunday hangoverish
Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #65
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
yep. Friday noonish til the next sunday hangoverish
Let's pick this up over on the CADVR5 thread. The ride report must be continued.

Onward!
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Gentlemen, we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Separate issue for the rally thread. And yes, I will be hosting some modified NWAT rides out of the rally site. I'll post about it in the rally thread and post about a CannonTrek in the CannonRides thread.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #67
SPLITRIPPIN
split it rip it

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Outstanding Stoke!

Cannon, Thanks for posting this...as a NooB...it's super motivational to have access to this info. Look forward to seeing more of my neighboring states from this perspective. If the only the Midwest had some proper mountains.
SPLITRIPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #68
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Beautiful!
You'd like this one John. Maybe another CannonTrek . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITRIPPIN View Post
Cannon, Thanks for posting this...as a NooB...it's super motivational to have access to this info. Look forward to seeing more of my neighboring states from this perspective. If the only the Midwest had some proper mountains.
Thanks for appreciating it! Now come over and ride it! I think you will be well entertained.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #69
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I should have added in ride preparation that it is a good idea to take some preventive measures as far as dealing with ticks.

A new Lyme Disease risk map just came out. It shows that Wisconsin is high risk. Lyme's is a bacterial infection transmitted by certain ticks. 1 in 5 of those ticks collected during a recent study were infected. Lyme's is on the rise in Wisconsin having gone from just a few cases to nearly 3,500 per year.

A good idea when riding dual sport routes that take you into the woods or grassy areas is to treat your ridng clothes and boots with a tick spray. This spray is meant to be used on clothing and not skin. Spray it on, let it dry, and it lasts for weeks. It kills the ticks that you pick up on your clothes. It works very well. I went from picking up as many was 25 ticks over several days riding to none. Some others I know that use it have had the same excellent results.

You can find it a sporting goods stores or order it from places like Cabelas.

We didn't pick up any ticks on this ride.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #70
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Heading toward Bayfield.

First leg.

We pop out onto a road and take in downtown Delta.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #71
no_rice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
im going to have to order some of that tick spray. ive been shying away from the woods some so far this year simply because of the staggering number of ticks after our mild winter. to many people i know are getting lyme's disease...
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #72
svflyer
two wheeler

Oddometer: 113
Looks like a good time. I wish I wouldn't have had so much work and an untested DRZ400 in the garage. Hopefully they'll be another opportunity to get in on one of these in fall.
svflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #73
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On to Bayfield.

It gets a little sandy on the trails up this way.

Zed in watercolors.

Heh-heh. Wait until we get to the whoops - you'd think you were in the lower peninsula.

Valhalla Mountain. Ben was able to skillfully claw his way to the top by jumping off the bike and climbing along beside it. Nice work! I think he dug it in and had to pull the wheel free along the way but he made it all the way to the top. I made it this far before bogging down and tipping downhill.

I made it this far on the second attempt before digging it in. Ben offered to help get me up top but I opted to go back down and take the by-pass. Speaking of which, Monty and Zed missed the turn to this fun climb and took the by-pass by accident. You guys missed some fun. Anyway, this was close to the end of the day and screwing around on this hill finished me off as I was pretty spent (and pretty dehydrated).

The story here is that the climb is soft sand and with the turns there isn't much of a chance to get some speed to make a run at it. As it gets steeper near the top you start to get more wheel spin until you get to the point where the bike digs instead of climbs. I recommend you give it a shot for fun (and laughs) as there isn't much that will hurt you on the climb. Keep your cameras handy.

This being spent at the end of the day reminded me of a study of motorcycle trail riders that was done in Canada. Some people critical of motorized recreation like to suggest that there is little exercise value in it. Maybe some think this because they really don't know much about it. The study in Canada made standard technical measurements (things like heart rate and gas spirometry) to evaluate walk - jog - run - ride levels. The study revealed that there was no significant difference in numbers for a novice versus an experienced rider (except for clutch hand grip and pull force) so I guess we all work hard when riding. The study indicated that we run at about 60% max capacity when trail riding. Jogging is slightly LESS strenuous than off-road motorcycle riding. Off-road riding also involves significant upper body strength and leg strength with handling the bike and terrain.

I thought about this study while I was riding the trail and started paying attention to what I was doing exercise wise. I noted my breathing rate and also noted how often we really tense and relax just absorbing shocks on the trail. Also consider how often you load and unload your legs as you ride. For many it is like doing knee bends over and over. And of course, there is wrestling the bike along a rugged trail. No wonder that by the end of a day with eight hours of moving time, most of which is off-road, we are pretty spent.

Today's numbers. Not as many miles, slower moving average, but still about seven hours moving time.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:57 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #74
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_rice View Post
im going to have to order some of that tick spray. ive been shying away from the woods some so far this year simply because of the staggering number of ticks after our mild winter. to many people i know are getting lyme's disease...
I pulled a female deer tick off my chest a couple of months ago after hunting. No infection as she hadn't fed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svflyer View Post
Looks like a good time. I wish I wouldn't have had so much work and an untested DRZ400 in the garage. Hopefully they'll be another opportunity to get in on one of these in fall.
Let me know if you want help or some tips prepping your DRZ. We can chat more about opportunities then.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #75
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,890
I always thought that we work hard enough when we are trail riding that I am justified in skipping my daily run (very rare) when out on a Cannonadventure. Now that I know that I will also reach Valhalla (very important to me) on this route, I totally want to ride this thing.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote