"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #77
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Bryan,

Looks like another great route, looking forward to riding it.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #78
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,259
Bayfield

Bayfield is on Lake Superior and is a gateway to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.

Nice balcony on which to relax at the motel.

Looking across to Madeline Island.

Time to clean a couple of air filters. The guys will share how they managed that without any solvent or filter oil along.

Fishing town.

Not often Lake Superior is this calm.

I think that commenting that we came in on a trail that was "out of this world" may have evoked a response from the border patrol.

Ferry for people that live out on Madeline Island. In winter there is an ice road.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 07:52 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #79
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I always thought that we work hard enough when we are trail riding that I am justified in skipping my daily run (very rare) when out on a Cannonadventure. Now that I know that I will also reach Valhalla (very important to me) on this route, I totally want to ride this thing.
I hope you do better than I did on that Valhalla thing Klay. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
How did i miss this???

I love love love CS RR's !!

Cheers Brian!!!

Shane
Hi Shane! So . . . in New Zealand would we be heading for the south woods instead of the north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Bryan,

Looks like another great route, looking forward to riding it.
You'll really enjoy this one Tom. Lots of fun riding.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #80
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Time to clean a couple of air filters. The guys will share how they managed that without any solvent or filter oil along.

]
Well, you simply remove the filter, rinse off into the hotel trash can.
If you are lucky enough you may get to use the dish soap, unless someone is hogging it all.
Then pour on some non-detergent 10 w whatever, squeeze out the extra into said trash can, and reinstall
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #81
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Well, you simply remove the filter, rinse off into the hotel trash can.
If you are lucky enough you may get to use the dish soap, unless someone is hogging it all.
Then pour on some non-detergent 10 w whatever, squeeze out the extra into said trash can, and reinstall

It was thoughtful of you guys to use a trash bag liner in the trash can while you were doing this.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #82
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:

.......Valhalla Mountain. Ben was able to skillfully claw his way to the top by jumping off the bike and climbing along beside it......
I was just about to say it does not look too bad until I read the part about Ben. If he had to hop off, then I would have absolutely no chance on my XT. I notice that pictures never do nasty, sandy, curvy hill climbs justice. Perhaps there is a traction & altitude overlay that can make them appear as bad as they really are.......or just tell us how it went for Ben
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #83
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
12-Steps to Cleaning Air Filters Away from Home

Quote:

It was thoughtful of you guys to use a trash bag liner in the trash can while you were doing this.
It was and I wasn't hogging all the soap! Benron just needed to come into the bathroom and asked for it. Just cause I got the door closed whilst massaging Ultra Dawn into a foam air filter doesn't mean I can't be interrupted.

Anyway, here are the steps to a clean air filter on the road:

1. Purchase gasoline.
2. Purchase beers.
3. Listen to guy at gasoline/beer store convince you that 30W non-detergent oil is totally what you need for your air filter even though it cannot be used in anything but a Model T Ford.
4. Allow Benron to purchase API "SA" rated non-detergent 30W Model T Ford motor oil for $4 a quart.
5. Read label on 30W non-detergent bootleg Model T Ford oil and make mental note: "Do not use in automobiles made after 1930."
6. Purchase "Ultra Dawn" dish detergent.
7. Head to motel and start drinking beers.
8a. If you are Monty - Disappear into bathroom for 20 minutes and privately, gently massage Ultra Dawn and warm water into air filter whilst using trash-bag lined motel garbage can to hold soapy water.
8b. If you are Benron - Whip out air filter on back porch of motel for all to see and hastily stroke in warm water inside your own trash-bag lined motel garbage can.
9. Marvel at the cleanliness of clean air filters.
10. Coat with bootleg non-detergent 30W Model T Ford motor oil the gas station guru convinced you to buy.
11. Re-install air filter and achieve massive performance boost with which you "Could have surely gotten up Valhalla Hill without jumping off and pushing if only my air filter was clean."
12. Pack Ultra Dawn and bootleg oil into Dirt Bagz.

After you get home, wonder why Ultra Dawn and bootleg Model T oil leaked all over Dirt Bagz. (But as Ben promised, they smell so lovely)

Monty_Burns screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 04:44 PM
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #84
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Air Filter Pics

I have a spare filter for my DRZ. I did not think to take it off of the frame and crush it into a sandwich bag and bring it with me. Hence the cleaning episode listed above. But here you can see the difference between a clean filter, coated with special-purpose filter oil and the dirty filter coated with motor oil and run for the final two days of the NWAT.

The take-away is that everything you need to clean and charge a foam air filter is available at the typical gas station and motel room bathroom. The bootleg oil, any engine oil really, works fine in the field for recharging a filter.

Here's is a little information on the engine oil and why I keep saying we had "bootleg" engine oil from the gas station. It isn't really boot leg, just not meant for modern vehicles:

Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #85
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

As much as I appreciate the resourcefulness of these gentlemen, to include Monty's self cleaning oil spill in his Dirt Bagz, I prefer to go with a filter skin. As things clog up, simply pull off the skin and the filter is good to go again. Skins can be cleaned and reused. Someone with the foresight I wish I would have had might have packed a couple of pre-oiled skins along in a zip-lock so that as he took a dirty one off, he could replace it with the clean one thus avoiding filter cleaning during the course of the trip altogether.

I am reliably informed from some Canadian Trekker friends that ladies ankle stockings work well as a filter skin and that they are readily available and inexpensive (and some come with a box of crackers). They didn't clue me in on what the best shade to use is though.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 04:54 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #86
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
I was just about to say it does not look too bad until I read the part about Ben. If he had to hop off, then I would have absolutely no chance on my XT. I notice that pictures never do nasty, sandy, curvy hill climbs justice. Perhaps there is a traction & altitude overlay that can make them appear as bad as they really are.......or just tell us how it went for Ben
Just so no one gets scared off, Valhalla isn't that bad and it won't hurt you, it is just that you will probably run out of traction in the soft sand as the hill gets steeper as you climb. By the time you stick it or tip it you will be barely moving anway. I'd go for it, paddle like hell, and see what happens. It will be a lot of fun! I'll make another run at it next time, but probably just to try to get far enough up to photograph everyone else.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #87
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Busting out of Bayfield.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #88
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
As much as I appreciate the resourcefulness of these gentlemen, to include Monty's self cleaning oil spill in his Dirt Bagz, I prefer to go with a filter skin. As things clog up, simply pull off the skin and the filter is good to go again. Skins can be cleaned and reused. Someone with the foresight I wish I would have had might have packed a couple of pre-oiled skins along in a zip-lock so that as he took a dirty one off, he could replace it with the clean one thus avoiding filter cleaning during the course of the trip altogether.

I am reliably informed from some Canadian Trekker friends that ladies ankle stockings work well as a filter skin and that they are readily available and inexpensive (and some come with a box of crackers). They didn't clue me in on what the best shade to use is though.

Hmmmmm... sounds like an Old Wives Tale to me!
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.2wheelcentral.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #89
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,746
Quote:

that's good news. I have a couple pair of stockings that don't fit me anymore and I hate to throw em away

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #90
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

This leg from Bayfield south has a lot of miles of ATV trail and seasonal forest roads on it.

Life's little adjustments.

Looks like forest fire fighting equipment.

Frankly, pushing sand gets old after a while.

There aren't many of these fire towers left anymore, although there are lots of locations still plotted on the maps. These have largely been replaced with air patrols. These towers are made to flex, so if you are in the cab on top on a windy day, it can be interesting.

Back in the day, there were several cab designs for the rooms on the top of the towers.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 10:56 AM