ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Mike at Tank Vest OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike at Tank Vest's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Inwood, WV
Oddometer: 222
First aid kit supplies

Went on a ride on Sunday where a rider went down. Had to utilize my first aid kit to tend to some of the injuries. Given the nature of our hobby here, and I haven't seen this information posted before, I thought I'd share my insights on what should be included in a first aid kit/first responder kit for bikers. We're limited on room compared to a cager so I did some thinking on this as having supplies there on hand when a spill does happen may make a difference.

1. non latex rubber gloves
2. sterile gauze pads 2x2, 4x4 and 6x6.
3. medical tape
4. vet wrap (see below)
5. compression wrap
6. compression bandage
7. splint
8. alcohol wipes
9. Neosporin
10. scissors/shears
11. quick clot
12. band aids
13. tweezers
14. instant ice pack
15. Tylenol/aspirin/alieve/advil
16. Iodine tabs
17. Moleskin
18. saline solution
19. Benadryl
20. Glucose/candy



My first aid kit was lacking and I wished I'd had some of the stuff I listed above. Thankfully, the injuries of the rider were non-life threatening. The rider went down and received abrasions on his knees and lower legs. He took a hit on his helmet and his side. I put vet wrap on the list as it would serve very well to maintain pressure and bandages on areas such as knees where joints make standard medical tape worthless. Vet wrap is a very flexible material that holds bandages well and is impervious to water.

The rider also cracked two ribs though he didn't feel it or show any signs of it at the scene.

Given how potentially dangerous our hobby is, we should all carry a first aid kit on our motorcycles. The above is my list of what is in mine now. Any suggestions for things I've missed or should consider would be appreciated.

What really got me was that out of all of us only a couple of us had first aid kits.
__________________
Impossible is a word for the weak. I like to think the word impossible is just another way of saying, "Interesting Challenge".

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
AlanCT
The Byronic Man
 
AlanCT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Northeastern CT
Oddometer: 3,320
Some of that Quik Clot stuff might be a good idea, as well as those clear membrane sheets used for large abrasions, whatever those are called.
__________________
"You wouldn't be riding a motorcycle if you weren't an optimist."
- Matthew Crawford
2005 Ural Tourist, 2000 Kawasaki W650
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
blake716
nine toes
 
blake716's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Oddometer: 10,303
You know, this is a great topic...and strangely enough, something I completely overlooked.

Odd. Especially since I have a tendency to crash....hard.

Great post. I know what I'm adding before my next ride.
__________________
_________________________
blake716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Greeley, CO
Oddometer: 494
Small thread with a bit of this in it.
My Post
__________________
Tracy E / Photos4Aidan.com / dacrazyrn.dpcprints.com / Can you SPOT me?
“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]
 
SnowMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: I LIVE IN A GIANT BUCKET
Oddometer: 17,926
Other half of the coin is knowing how to use what you have.

Take a first aid class. They're cheap.

When I took it, the instructor gave us access to download the manuals. Wilderness First Responder was among those listed... while I didn't take the class, the information in the other manuals had a lot more to do with the situations I'd be in than the basic first aid class did. Kinda need one for the other though.

Also had bloodborne pathogens, babysitter's guide, first aid cheat-sheet, pediatric first aid, and CPR/AED.
__________________
Spewer of the poignant non sequitur
SnowMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
John E
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at Tank Vest View Post
Went on a ride on Sunday where a rider went down. Had to utilize my first aid kit to tend to some of the injuries. Given the nature of our hobby here, and I haven't seen this information posted before, I thought I'd share my insights on what should be included in a first aid kit/first responder kit for bikers. We're limited on room compared to a cager so I did some thinking on this as having supplies there on hand when a spill does happen may make a difference.

1. non latex rubber gloves
2. sterile gauze pads 2x2, 4x4 and 6x6.
3. medical tape
4. vet wrap (see below)
5. compression wrap
6. compression bandage
7. splint
8. alcohol wipes
9. Neosporin
10. scissors/shears
11. quick clot
12. band aids
13. tweezers
14. instant ice pack
15. Tylenol/aspirin/alieve/advil
16. Iodine tabs
17. Moleskin
18. saline solution
19. Benadryl
20. Glucose/candy



My first aid kit was lacking and I wished I'd had some of the stuff I listed above. Thankfully, the injuries of the rider were non-life threatening. The rider went down and received abrasions on his knees and lower legs. He took a hit on his helmet and his side. I put vet wrap on the list as it would serve very well to maintain pressure and bandages on areas such as knees where joints make standard medical tape worthless. Vet wrap is a very flexible material that holds bandages well and is impervious to water.

The rider also cracked two ribs though he didn't feel it or show any signs of it at the scene.

Given how potentially dangerous our hobby is, we should all carry a first aid kit on our motorcycles. The above is my list of what is in mine now. Any suggestions for things I've missed or should consider would be appreciated.

What really got me was that out of all of us only a couple of us had first aid kits.

Good on you for stepping up to help out a fellow rider. Just a couple of things about your suggestions that I'd change.

Get rid of the 2x2's and the 6x6's. Use 4x4's and a couple of abdominal bandages, they'll absorb more fluid and the 4x4's can always be folded or cut down. Individually wrapped, sterile 4x4's can be found at any drugstore, they're cheap and pack flat, get as many plies/thickness as possible for maximum absorption.

Antiseptic wipes are far better than alcohol wipes for cleaning any sort of broken skin, alcohol will burn and it is cytotoxic, kills the good cells as well as the bad ones. BZK (benzalkonium chloride) wipes are bigger, work better and don't sting. They're also cheap if you buy a box of 100. I do keep a couple of alcohol wipes in my tool kit in case I ever need to apply Loctite or epoxy to something, they work well for cleaning plastic and metal.

More gloves is better. Like at least 6 pairs. Nitrile is probably best as they're hypoallergenic, good for you, good for the patient.

I'd skip the vet wrap, In my experience it's not all it's cracked up to be. Once it's been stretched out it loses it's elasticity very quickly and falls off. I'd use a couple of 6" elastic bandages and tape. The elastic bandages can also be used with your splint, to hold a cold pack in place, to immobilize a dislocated or broken extremity even if you don't have a splint.

For a compression bandage, pick up an "Izzy", an Israeli combat bandage. They're great, they can be self applied as well as used on others. Come in a sterile package, available in 4"and 6" widths. One should suffice for the average kit.

For a splint, pick up a SAM or one of the many no-name copies. Aluminum bonded with some thin foam padding they can be cut, folded, modded into just about anything. I've used them to make finger splints, just cut off a slice and make sure the edges aren't sharp. They come rolled up, very handy.

If the recommended use for the Benadryl is for treatment of insect stings, get a small bottle of the children's liquid. It's much faster acting. They also make Benadryl in a gel form, great for topical applications but not for internal usage. If you or anyone you're traveling with is known to be susceptible to anaphylaxis from insect stings, make sure you or they are carrying an up to date Epi pen. Same thing for known diabetics and asthma sufferers, don't be like a lot of my patients and tell me that you left your Epi pen, inhaler, and insulin at home. Something to remember about Benadryl, it will make you drowsy, not recommended if you or the patient is going to be continuing to ride.

Saline can be found in small 20-30 ml individually sterilized squeeze bottles, very handy for flushing out wounds and debris from the eyes as well.

I'd also think about getting some sort of tourniquet, a CAT or something equivalent and make sure it's not a Chinese ripoff design. The protocols for treating arterial bleeding in extremities is pressure bandages followed by use of a tourniquet in many areas now. If you should come across or be involved in an incident in which a person has suffered from a traumatic injury to an extremity, you'll never stop the bleeding by trying to find a pressure point, particularly if they're wearing a riding suit. A properly applied tourniquet will save a limb as well as life in an extreme injury situation. In addition to actually stopping the bleeding, a tourniquet allows a single caregiver to deal with multiple patients once it's been applied correctly.

I'd also toss a small headlamp in with the first aid kit, it sucks to not be able to see what you're doing and you can't do much with one hand holding a flashlight.

I'd also consider separating the true "first aid" stuff from the "booboo" stuff. If you come across an accident, you need to be able to access that tourniquet or Izzy right now, the pain relievers and bandaids can go into a separate bag or box to be used as needed. I keep a couple of bandaid, some Advil, Tums and a small bottle of eye drops in a little zippered case inside my tankbag for easy, non-emergent use. The real stuff is in a separate trauma bag. All I'm really concerned with in an emergent situation is trying to ensure the patient is breathing and trying to stop traumatic blood loss. The road rash etc. can be fixed later when you've got everyone off to the side of the road or trail. Same thing with medications.

For reference, I am a licensed, working EMT in the state of California but I'm not a doctor, in particular I'm not your doctor so take everything I've written with a grain of salt and don't rely on it to save yours or anyone else's life without further training.
__________________
" ...that was the river, this is the sea..."

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Mike at Tank Vest OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike at Tank Vest's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Inwood, WV
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Good on you for stepping up to help out a fellow rider. Just a couple of things about your suggestions that I'd change.

Get rid of the 2x2's and the 6x6's. Use 4x4's and a couple of abdominal bandages, they'll absorb more fluid and the 4x4's can always be folded or cut down. Individually wrapped, sterile 4x4's can be found at any drugstore, they're cheap and pack flat, get as many plies/thickness as possible for maximum absorption.

Antiseptic wipes are far better than alcohol wipes for cleaning any sort of broken skin, alcohol will burn and it is cytotoxic, kills the good cells as well as the bad ones. BZK (benzalkonium chloride) wipes are bigger, work better and don't sting. They're also cheap if you buy a box of 100. I do keep a couple of alcohol wipes in my tool kit in case I ever need to apply Loctite or epoxy to something, they work well for cleaning plastic and metal.

More gloves is better. Like at least 6 pairs. Nitrile is probably best as they're hypoallergenic, good for you, good for the patient.

I'd skip the vet wrap, In my experience it's not all it's cracked up to be. Once it's been stretched out it loses it's elasticity very quickly and falls off. I'd use a couple of 6" elastic bandages and tape. The elastic bandages can also be used with your splint, to hold a cold pack in place, to immobilize a dislocated or broken extremity even if you don't have a splint.

For a compression bandage, pick up an "Izzy", an Israeli combat bandage. They're great, they can be self applied as well as used on others. Come in a sterile package, available in 4"and 6" widths. One should suffice for the average kit.

For a splint, pick up a SAM or one of the many no-name copies. Aluminum bonded with some thin foam padding they can be cut, folded, modded into just about anything. I've used them to make finger splints, just cut off a slice and make sure the edges aren't sharp. They come rolled up, very handy.

If the recommended use for the Benadryl is for treatment of insect stings, get a small bottle of the children's liquid. It's much faster acting. They also make Benadryl in a gel form, great for topical applications but not for internal usage. If you or anyone you're traveling with is known to be susceptible to anaphylaxis from insect stings, make sure you or they are carrying an up to date Epi pen. Same thing for known diabetics and asthma sufferers, don't be like a lot of my patients and tell me that you left your Epi pen, inhaler, and insulin at home. Something to remember about Benadryl, it will make you drowsy, not recommended if you or the patient is going to be continuing to ride.

Saline can be found in small 20-30 ml individually sterilized squeeze bottles, very handy for flushing out wounds and debris from the eyes as well.

I'd also think about getting some sort of tourniquet, a CAT or something equivalent and make sure it's not a Chinese ripoff design. The protocols for treating arterial bleeding in extremities is pressure bandages followed by use of a tourniquet in many areas now. If you should come across or be involved in an incident in which a person has suffered from a traumatic injury to an extremity, you'll never stop the bleeding by trying to find a pressure point, particularly if they're wearing a riding suit. A properly applied tourniquet will save a limb as well as life in an extreme injury situation. In addition to actually stopping the bleeding, a tourniquet allows a single caregiver to deal with multiple patients once it's been applied correctly.

I'd also toss a small headlamp in with the first aid kit, it sucks to not be able to see what you're doing and you can't do much with one hand holding a flashlight.

I'd also consider separating the true "first aid" stuff from the "booboo" stuff. If you come across an accident, you need to be able to access that tourniquet or Izzy right now, the pain relievers and bandaids can go into a separate bag or box to be used as needed. I keep a couple of bandaid, some Advil, Tums and a small bottle of eye drops in a little zippered case inside my tankbag for easy, non-emergent use. The real stuff is in a separate trauma bag. All I'm really concerned with in an emergent situation is trying to ensure the patient is breathing and trying to stop traumatic blood loss. The road rash etc. can be fixed later when you've got everyone off to the side of the road or trail. Same thing with medications.

For reference, I am a licensed, working EMT in the state of California but I'm not a doctor, in particular I'm not your doctor so take everything I've written with a grain of salt and don't rely on it to save yours or anyone else's life without further training.

Awesome post!!!! Thanks!
__________________
Impossible is a word for the weak. I like to think the word impossible is just another way of saying, "Interesting Challenge".

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NCK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Taxation Without Representation (DC)
Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at Tank Vest View Post
My first aid kit was lacking and I wished I'd had some of the stuff I listed above.
Thank you! I'm going to model my kit after this.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 150
I've bookmarked this thread; excellent info in several of the above posts.

Newbie question: are any of you aware of a commercially available kit (i.e. something I can buy online with a few clicks, or at REI, ...) that comes close to the above? It'd be great for me to buy a starter kit and then make a few additions as necessary.

Thanks very much,


Kevin
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
John E
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 754
Yes...

check out the line of kits put together by Adventure Medical Kits. They make em from pocket sized all the way up to expedition size including some neat stuff like a sealed suture and hypodermic needle kit to be used by medical personnel in questionable areas. They all come with some form of first aid manual written by the founder who happens to be an MD that specializes in remote, ie, wilderness medicine.

They sell them at REI and if I'm not mistaken the annual anniversary sale is going on right now.

Supplement the kit you buy with some extra crash specific stuff and off you go.

REI also sells individual first aid kit components, not the cheapest place to get them but you won't have to buy entire boxes of stuff like the BZK's I mentioned earlier.

There's also a ton of stuff available on Amazon.com.

And of course, your local drugstore and even the 99 Cents only store or it's equivalent. I buy a few things there regularly.
__________________
" ...that was the river, this is the sea..."

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Snowkarver
Adventurer
 
Snowkarver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 89
This is great info, thanks for the insight Mike and John.
__________________
2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark
Snowkarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Mike at Tank Vest OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike at Tank Vest's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Inwood, WV
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
I've bookmarked this thread; excellent info in several of the above posts.

Newbie question: are any of you aware of a commercially available kit (i.e. something I can buy online with a few clicks, or at REI, ...) that comes close to the above? It'd be great for me to buy a starter kit and then make a few additions as necessary.

Thanks very much,


Kevin
I'm seriously thinking of taking the information from this thread and designing a first aid kit system for motorcycle riders and offering it as an accessory to the tank vest.
__________________
Impossible is a word for the weak. I like to think the word impossible is just another way of saying, "Interesting Challenge".

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb
 
GSWayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Oddometer: 2,926
Wfr

there have been several good 1st aid threads, I can't find the best one but here are a couple of them: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643132
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276349

I also recommend taking the Wilderness First Responder course if you are serious about 1st aid. It is particularly of interest for riding in remote places. It is oriented to 1st aid when definitive care is several hours away. In some ways it is better than EMT training because they assume you have lots of equipment and drugs and you will soon be in a hospital. EMT training does include much more medical information though. WFR training is all about improvisation and figuring out how bad the emergency is and if the patient can walk out or if you should be sending someone for a helicopter.
__________________
It isn't the conditions its the decisions

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?
 
jbhawley's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Kenly NC
Oddometer: 414
Great post. I had read on another thread a very detailed First Aid kit that a rider used. I too upgraded my kit several years ago. I am a volunteer fireman in a rural area of eastern NC and we take CPR/first aid refresher courses at least bi-yearly which are taught by EMS folks. Plus some things I took away from my military training...

A kotex pad makes a great bandage. Its sterile. Comes in its own package and is cheap. And will soak up a ton of blood...way more than a 4x4 or 6x6 pad. Check your wife's bathroom cabinet. You can compress it with just about any type of wrap or string or belt, etc and if its a major injury/bleeder just keep putting more pads on top. I learned this from an old Corpsman (Navy Medic) that worked with the Marines.

An old pillow case torn in half (so you have two rectangles) (or use an old sheet ripped to size) makes a nice modified triangular bandage for slings or above mentioned wrap or tourniquet.

FWIW...most over the counter kits are not equipped for the rigors of our needs, especially if you do any serious off-roading. Most of these kits are designed for "boo-boos" that one may get around the home.

I acquired a nice small coudura type red zip up bag a few years ago and made my own kit. Some things are redundant, as you would have on nearly any mass produced kit, such as band-aids, wipes, aspirin, etc, etc...But I have found that its the one-off items that you cannot or will not find in a mass kit that you will ultimately need in the field. Ya know a clean piece of material-dressing (pillow case, sheet, kotex pad), a wrap, some tape (electrical, duct, medical, athletic, anything in a pinch), will go along way for most emergencies that you would normally encounter. If its serious enough such as a compound fracture, sucking chest wound, broken back, etc...then most first aid courses will only advise you to call 911.

Remember...
Keep the person breathing
Stop the bleeding
Most everything else is window dressing.
__________________
---John
Lemmings non sumus

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer
 
1LIFE2LIVE's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
check out the line of kits put together by Adventure Medical Kits. They make em from pocket sized all the way up to expedition size including some neat stuff like a sealed suture and hypodermic needle kit to be used by medical personnel in questionable areas. They all come with some form of first aid manual written by the founder who happens to be an MD that specializes in remote, ie, wilderness medicine.

They sell them at REI and if I'm not mistaken the annual anniversary sale is going on right now.

Supplement the kit you buy with some extra crash specific stuff and off you go.

REI also sells individual first aid kit components, not the cheapest place to get them but you won't have to buy entire boxes of stuff like the BZK's I mentioned earlier.

There's also a ton of stuff available on Amazon.com.

And of course, your local drugstore and even the 99 Cents only store or it's equivalent. I buy a few things there regularly.
+1 on Adventure Medical Kits picked up mine from here: www.sierratradingpost.com

Great prices on all sorts of stuff
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014