User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
idpkken OP
MinnesotaRider

Oddometer: 22
Two Sets Of Rims and Tires OR Change Tires

Going on a knobby-required adventure in June but mostly ride in town. Was thinking about getting an additional set of wheels but $$ will be somewhat of an issue. Do people change tires back and forth often. I know they don't suggest that for my car snow tires (I have an additional set of wheels).

Curious to see what others think and do. Thanks.
idpkken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
I have two sets of wheels. At first it was cause i thought I needed two to swap back and forth from knobbie to road. Now I just ride knobbies on the road. Having two sets is still nice as I can put on a set of worn knobbies when I know i will just be riding mellower stuff and save the freashy for tough rides.

That said if it is really that hard or $$ to find The rear wheel is where is makes the diffeernce. Front tires (21') are so easy to swap on (like a big mountain bike tire) it is hardly worth it. And the front tire wears so slowly.

Many locals around here jsut swap out their tires/wheels seasonally at the tire shop. Doesn't seem like they every have problems.

Of course I have two sets of wheels though.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
i like having two sets for more reasons than one
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
idpkken OP
MinnesotaRider

Our season (Minnesota) is just so short. I guess I need to just get really good at swapping tires OR wheels. The front is way easy. I've done it. It's the rear that I'm balking at AND it's the key one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I have two sets of wheels. At first it was cause i thought I needed two to swap back and forth from knobbie to road. Now I just ride knobbies on the road. Having two sets is still nice as I can put on a set of worn knobbies when I know i will just be riding mellower stuff and save the freashy for tough rides.

That said if it is really that hard or $$ to find The rear wheel is where is makes the diffeernce. Front tires (21') are so easy to swap on (like a big mountain bike tire) it is hardly worth it. And the front tire wears so slowly.

Many locals around here jsut swap out their tires/wheels seasonally at the tire shop. Doesn't seem like they every have problems.

Of course I have two sets of wheels though.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
Car wheels are easier since the hubs/brakes etc stay with the car. With motorcycle wheels, would you swap over the brake disks, bearings, sprockets every time (double-sided swing arm), or duplicate everything? If you duplicate brake disks, should you also dupe the pads since pads/disks tend to "mate?" I'd personally just swap tires if once or twice a year (I change my own), and think I'd prefer a second (smaller/lighter) bike if needing knobs much more than that.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
I went the two sets of wheel routes
Only once set was a supermoto set.

Then I can have aggressive knobs on the dirt tires and sporty rubber on the street wheels.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,920
I have my own tire changer but still ended up getting two sets of wheels. Like you, our riding season in Vermont is short and I need to make the most of it.

Love the versatility!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
thumper-darryl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wheels vrs swap

If $$ is no object go for the wheels, but to make it worthwhile you will have to purchase everything, including rotors and sprockets. Or. Just learn how to change tires. Once you get good at it you can do a complete swap in about 15 minutes. I will frequently do a last minute tire change when I find out the type of ride for the day.
thumper-darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
idpkken OP
MinnesotaRider

Do you leave the same tubes in when you make the 15 minute swap?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
thumper-darryl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
wheels vrs swap

I use B S UHD tubes, and yes, re-use them. I replace them after a season of use or sooner if they start to shed too much rubber. Same with Bib Moose, as I usually get a full season out of the front and 4-6 months out of a rear.
What really helps when at home is using 4 tire irons for a tube type tire, and 6 for a Bib Moose.
thumper-darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
I've done to 2 sets of wheels with most of my bikes over the years, I also change tyres too - changing wheels is so much better. If you just have a late model bike then 2 sets of wheels might be expensive, but I've always had older bikes, so getting spare wheels is easy and cheap....I often would buy a bike for spares, and there is another set of wheels.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote