Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #31
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
I was at Inskip Station Jean Baptiste Charbonneau's grave site 3 weeks ago. For those that do not know, Charbonneau was the infant born during the Lewis and Clark Expedition and traveled the entire route (8,000 miles) before he was 2 yrs old. He was in San Diego and rode a stagecoach from SDiego over Truckee, Donners Pass to Inskip Station where he fell into a river near Inskip, got sick and died of pheumonia at Inskip Station. Inskip Station is a 1860 era stagecoach station, thus the name.

You covered some great roads that we missed.

Charbonneau and other pioneers memorial...

your right, he was and amazing man... didn't really have room in the original post to put more about him in there, but here is more of his memorial...

and grave site with lots of tokens many of them native american decorating the grave
it is worth the trip to see...

part of what I like about the challenge is that it gets my lazy butt out to see these amazing sites that I wouldn't make the time for if someone didn't give me a little push...

silverspurs screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 03:28 PM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Jean Baptiste Charbonneau

Portrait of Jean Baptiste Charbonneau. Spoke 6 languages, could recite several Shakespeare plays from memory, trapper, scout and explorer. (Half French Canadian and half Shoshoni). Adopted son of Wm Clark.

and a bump for a good R.Report.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 11:43 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #33
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 638
Very nice RR, thank you. Bummer no gas in Jarbidge, good thing KLR's get such good mileage, I think I would have been screwed on my 990. I wonder if they will have gas when I go there in two weeks???? Thanks for the report and great pictures.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #34
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Hells Canyon Loop... Partial Fail...

6-2-12

took a ride to Hells Canyon to pick up some challenge sites. I hoped to get Cornucopia Or, Homestead Or, Helena Id and Sheep Rock Point Id.

If you've never ridden in Hells Canyon, late Spring is a great time to do it, the hills are green, temperatures moderate and there is still snow in the high country to add a bit of contrast.

I wanted to ride the Hells Canyon via the Snake River Road out of Huntington OR, It follows Brownlee Res. on the Oregon side for about 20 miles before leaving the canyon and going out to Richland OR., but first things first!... gotta have breakfast... stopped in Ontario... wasn't a lot of choice, and Denny's was handy...

Riding North on the Snake River Road, along Brownlee Res.

last week, we rode on the Idaho side of Brownlee to the Ghost town of Mineral on Dennett Creek... we took pictures of the Mountain Man/Rocking M Ranch then... this is the same ranch across the Res.

driving North on Brownlee Res...

climbing out of the canyon to go over to Richland OR...

coming off the pass into Richland OR, with the Wallowa Mtns in the back ground

at Halfway OR, starting up the road to Cornucopia

Cornucopia OR, a Mining Ghost town, still a few buildings here

no problem here... the tree will hold it up!...

Halfway OR... a pretty place!

From Halfway OR, I headed to Oxbow on the Snake river in Hells Canyon... needed fuel, both me and the bike, so stopped at Scotty's and got both

Next stop was Homestead OR, I got my challenge picture at the old School...

My plan now was to back track to Oxbow, cross the river to Idaho and take the Kleinschmidt Grade up to Cuprum...

the grade was built back in the 1800's to haul ore... it has been greatly improved since then

the Hess Road across the canyon on the Oregon side... it is a twin to the Kleinschmidt grade and climbs out to the Hells Canyon scenic byway... it is a great ride, not to be missed...

view looking North in Hells Canyon from Kleinshmidt grade

after you top out on the Idaho side, you will come to this old 3 story sheep barn at the intersection of the Cuprum/Bear roads... pretty impressive old Barn

Cuprum,

At Cuprum, I stopped and talked to a couple of locals about FS road 106 that goes to Helena and Sheep Rock Point. they told me they had tried the road on ATV's a few days ago and there were still large/deep snow drifts covering the road about 1/2 way to Sheep Rock Point...
they believed the road wouldn't be passable for a MC for another month... dang!!
Oh well, we'll get those sites another time... so I headed home via Bear... interesting contrast between Cuprum and Bear, Cuprum is a mining town, every thing packed into close quarters, then just over the hill, Bear is all about ranching and wide open spaces...

Cuddy Mtn still has some snow...

looking West from Bear Valley toward the Wallowa's over in Oregon... still plenty of snow up high...

by the time I got near Weiser, it was 6pm... and I was getting Hungry!! so I stopped at a new place on Hi-way 95 near Mann Creek... (about 12 miles North of Weiser) it was pretty good!

after a nice dinner, I super slabbed it back home... got home 13 hours after I left... a long day, with some disappointments, but hey... not knowing if every thing will go your way is what puts the "adventure" in "adventure riding"!!... I'll be back in a month or so and give those snowed-in sites another try...

I've got a Salmon River float trip coming up and will be preparing for that... so no more rides for a few weeks... actually, that is good, because most of the remaining challenge sites are snowed in... I've visited nearly all the sites that are accessible... so I'll give it a rest for a few weeks and let some of this snow melt... so no more ride reports for a little while...

see you then...

silverspurs screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 11:19 PM
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #35
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

has anyone been up to Siver City in the past week? is there still snow there?? thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
Special Ed_65
A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
has anyone been up to Siver City in the past week? is there still snow there?? thanks!
A little snow on War Eagle, you can't on top yet.

http://www.motoidaho.com/
Special Ed_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #37
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed_65 View Post
A little snow on War Eagle, you can't on top yet.

thanks Ed!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
Special Ed_65
A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer: 169
today

I ran up there today doing a pre-ride for the "KLR650 25th Anniversary Rally" and it's all clear.

http://www.motoidaho.com/
Special Ed_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #39
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed_65 View Post
I ran up there today doing a pre-ride for the "KLR650 25th Anniversary Rally" and it's all clear.

great!!... I may go up there Saturday Morning... thanks for the info...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
It's fun seeing all the places I want to get to this year. Hope to see you @ War Eagle, heading out for a few sites in that area Saturday/Sunday. I'll be curious to hear about the float, I'm doing the main Salmon mid July.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
It's fun seeing all the places I want to get to this year. Hope to see you @ War Eagle, heading out for a few sites in that area Saturday/Sunday. I'll be curious to hear about the float, I'm doing the main Salmon mid July.
We may see you out there, right now, I'm leaning toward Saturday morning, but things may change...

I'm hoping the water will come down some for our Salmon trip, I don't like being on that river at flows over 30,000cfs... and with this weird spring we've had, it could be a lot higher than that... July would be MUCH better!! should be great for you...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Awesome reporting guys! I love that area. I went through on my road burner Mem Weekend, camped at woodhead park, then at Wallowa. Gonna come back with dual sports soon.. Thanks for some nice pics and info.. JIm
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #43
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
Awesome reporting guys! I love that area. I went through on my road burner Mem Weekend, camped at woodhead park, then at Wallowa. Gonna come back with dual sports soon.. Thanks for some nice pics and info.. JIm

when you do... I recommend Halfway and Cornucopia as side trips... very nice up that way
Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #44
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Great RR! A few of us Oregonians thinking about an Idaho trip in September!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Ride to War Eagle and Ruby City

6-14-12

Day ride to War Eagle and Ruby City, two more 2012 Challenge sites and both near the old mining town of Silver City Idaho in the Owyhee Mountains along the Idaho / Oregon border.

signs at the Silver City Road...

The Owyhee Mountains... War Eagle is about in the middle of this pic and is a popular site for Radio towers

There is an old Grave Yard on the road up to War Eagle with some interesting head stones

the last bit of road up to the top of War Eagle, it gets a little steep and rocky... this road on on the South side of the mountain. There is a better road to the top on the West side that is easier for a large bike...

View from the top of War Eagle

looking from War Eagle to the North West toward Silver City...

Ruby City used to be right here... but was moved a mile South to start Silver City, perhaps they didn't like the toilet smell??

This is Silver City, if you ever get to the Boise Area, Silver City is a must see...

a two story out house!!

The road into and out of Silver City...

On the way home, I decided to go out through Eastern Oregon by way of Delamar and Cow Creek... the old Delamar oar processing mill at the old Delmar town site...

Cow Creek road with the current Delamar Mine in the background

Wonder why they call this "Cow Creek Road"??

Nice little water crossing on Cow Creek Road, about axle deep this time of year, earlier in the year it can be swift and seat level deep...

after this, it was tarmac on US 95 and 55 to home... fun day ride... thanks for coming along!!

silverspurs screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 12:00 AM