Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #76
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice pics!
I hiked up to Boulder City a few years ago, and it looks like Dax made it close to an ugly stream crossing at the top of the climb.
The hike, like the ride is not much fun but the views once you get there are fantastic. I am always amazed at where the miners went and what they had to endure, just to work their tail off .
I kept thinking to myself... "man this road must have been nasty for horses and wagons... they must have tore up a lot of outfits..." they were tough men for sure...
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #77
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Eastern and Central Idaho...

Wow this thread is nearly dead!... and it's my fault!... we've been out riding and life has been to hectic to get the ride reports posted up... but I've got some time this morning and we're gonna get this thing caught up!

My dad had his 80th Bday over at Henry's Lake on July 28th... this provided a great opportunity to go over to Eastern Idaho to celebrate with him and at the same time visit the IAMC sites over on that side of Idaho...

Friend Trent was able to get some time off at the last minute and was able to come along... this was good!... because some of the sites are very remote, with no services or help for many miles if something went wrong... so it was good to have a friend along for safety and company!...

we headed East on Friday July 27th..., our plan was to take 20/26 across the state... it's much more scenic than the interstate, and it's closer to some challenge sites we wanted to visit...

first site is and old mining town above Carey Idaho called Muldoon. there are still some partially intact charcoal kilns there, the kilns are on private property, but the Rancher is ok with folks visiting them... I was impressed with how pretty this valley is... an oasis on the edge of the Idaho desert... lots' of springs and snow melt water make the valley's nice and green... the Ketchum/Sun Valley area is about 30 miles North West of this valley...

the kilns were pretty big... there is one that still has much of the structure intact... so we took a tour... there were about 20 of these here at one time, but most are now rubble

The Muldoon area is in a valley about 15 miles North of Carey Idaho, take the Little Wood Res. road out of Carey... well worth the trip if you get over that way.

Next, we were headed to Mackay Idaho and the White Knob mining district... this was another big mining area a hundred years ago...

some interesting play of light on the mountains heading into Mckay...

as you head up the canyon from Mackay towards the mines, you see the old tramway used to haul ore from the mines down to the town to be processed... many of the old towers are still standing... the cable is gone, but many of the old buckets are laying on the ground also... a pretty impressive operation, and there is still mining going on in this area today... the whole operation reminded me of ski chair lifts and operated in much the same way

looking East, down at the town of Mackay

one of the old mine sites at Mackay Hill or White Knob mining district... there are lots of informational displays, and interesting things to see in the area... worth a visit!!

it was starting to get late, so from here we booked it East over to Rexburg, where we threw our sleeping bags out on Trents Parents floor... nice sites today, party tomorrow and more sites on Sunday!!... more later!!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #78
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Eastern and Central Idaho...

Sunday July 29th...

Trent and I left from Rexburg about 7am this morning... we've got a big day ahead with 5 challenge sites to visit. We are headed North to an old mining town called Gilmore and then on to Salmon Idaho where we will do a 200 mile loop today... we needed an early start.

Gilmore was an active mining district about a hundred years ago, and was active up until about 1920 or so... there are still a few buildings that are standing, but most are gone... now summer homes are replacing the old buildings

interpretive center describing the history of Gilmore

most of the Gilmore town site is still privately held and they are selling building lots, sooo... if you want your own little piece of Idaho... you can buy a building site for about $3200!

Next, we are headed to another old mining town, this one is North of Salmon, along the Main Salmon River Road... about 10 miles down river from the intersection of North Fork, there is a Forest Service Guard station and Fire Fighter base called Indian Creek... the Forest Service has estabished a memorial there to Wild land Fire fighters that is worth a visit... these guys live dangerous lives and once in a while give their lives for their service...

behind the Indian Creek Guard station there is a road that goes up the canyon to the old mining site of Ulysess... it's about 5 or 6 miles up the road... there isn't much left of Ulysess and the new owners have built a home and barn right on top of the old town site... this is about all there is left of the old Ulysess...

after Ulysess, it's back down to the Salmon River Road and down river past
Shoup to the Panther Creek Road. We stopped at some Indian Petroglyphs that are right along the road... if you look real close you can see some of them on the left side of the picture...

We are headed to the old mining area of Yellowjacket... it is surrounded by the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness and it's one of those places I've always wanted to visit... this old shack marks the turn off from Panther Creek road on to the Yellowjacket road... who says graffiti only happens in urban areas??

there used to be a 4 story hotel here and lot's of other structures from the boom days, but as with most old Ghost towns, things are deteriorating quickly... the old hotel just ain't what she used to be...

the day we were there, they were tearing down part of this old ore processing mill, better hurry to Yellowjacket if you want to see the old buildings... they may not be there much longer!!

at Yellowjacket, we're about 50 miles from the nearest paved road... if Yellowjacket isn't far enough off the beaten track, from here, we are really going deep into the Frank... another 17 miles into the wilderness to what I believe may be the most remote occupied fire lookout in Idaho... it is the Middle Fork Peak LO... it overlooks the Middle fork of the Salmon River, just about due East of the Flying B ranch... it is a crazy rough road getting there, but interestingly... the farther down this road you go, the better it gets!! it's actually one of the better LO roads I've been on... but it is very remote, so go prepared...

Middle Fork Peak LO is hard to get to, but worth it...

the LO is being manned by this nice couple from Missouri, they are the first "couple" I've ever seen tending a LO... it's their second year here.

the views from here are fantastic... looking North at the Big Horn Crags and the road coming in to the LO...

looking West, down on the Middle Fork Salmon river... the Flying B ranch is right behind the hill down on the river... you can fly in, spend the night and get a great dinner...

looking South, up the Middle fork Salmon river

the lookout... hard to get too, but worth it

from here, we backtrack... 30 miles, all the way out to Panther Creek rd and then back down that road 10 miles North to our turn off... we are headed for the old mining area of Leesburg... it was very active about 90 years ago and is still being mined today... the old town site has several buildings that are still partially standing. Leesburg sits in a beautiful mountain valley... a very pretty place. this view is out the window of the interpretive center...

did I mention that this is a pretty place!!??

it was starting to get late and we had lot's of miles to go... we had originally planned on going down to Challis Hot Springs tonight, but we were not going to get there on time to swim, so we decided to go into Salmon... fortunately, the roads into Salmon were good and we made good time getting out of the hills

the Big Hole mountains East of Salmon... we are heading in to get some dinner... and although we are prepared to camp, we are tired, hot and need a shower, so we grab a motel...

tomorrow is a BIG DAY with another very remote road into the Frank Church... so we need to get some rest... more on that later!..

silverspurs screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 01:56 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #79
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Congrats on hitting all 48!

So that is what Ulysses looks like.

I'll get there as soon as my bike is repaired.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #80
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Sleeping Deer, and Twin Peaks LO

Monday July 30th

today we are headed to an area I've wanted to visit for years, but have never made the time to do it... the Sleeping Deer Mtn road... I've seen this road from various other areas as I've backpacked and hunted in the FCRofNR wilderness "the Frank"... and have always been interested about it... the road goes North out of Challis and goes up to Twin Peaks divide... these mountains are two of the tallest peaks in the Salmon river mnts...

heading up the road from Challis with the Twin Peaks in the distance

Trent coming up the Challis Creek/Twin Peaks road to the summit...

it is one rough bugger of a road and his rear tire looked like this when we started out on this 75 mile round trip ride on these nasty roads...

with Trents tire looking like that, we decided we would go directly to Sleeping Deer first, and visit Twin Peaks LO and Fly Point LO on the way back... because we knew those roads are even worse and we wanted to save that tire in case he got a flat, and needed a rescue, we'd be closer to civilization...

so off we go on the Sleeping Deer road... there have been massive fires in this area in the past years, much of it is burned out.

Sleeping Deer... still a long way off...

finally after 30 miles of rough road, we are getting close, these lakes sit in a basin just below the end of the road

Trent at Sleeping Deer... we made it!!

now let's see if we can get out of here on that bald tire!... a look back at Twin Peaks from Sleeping Deer

Half way back, we stop at Fly Point LO, it burned down in a fire, probably in 2002, nasty rocks getting up here, and nails everywhere when you arrive!!

whats left of Fly Creek Point LO

time to check that bald tire after the rocky climb up here... we may be screwed!! we have twenty more nasty miles out of here!

the road off of Fly Creek Point is nasty!! this is the tamer lower section, up above, it is football size rocks with no dirt to ride on!

this is White Mountain, it's the mountain just West of the south Twin Peak and it's the tallest peak in the Salmon river Mountains at 10444'... it gets it's name from... well, it's kinda obvious

finally we get out to Twin Peaks summit... it's time to got up to the LO... a very rough and rocky road... we decide we don't want to test Trents tire going up this... and leave his bike below... we take turns riding my bike to the summit... it's a steep, rough road... gotta pay attention!

near the top, the road actually gets a bit better! but lots and lots of switchbacks

Challis... way down there...

Borah Peak, the tallest in Idaho at 12600+, about 45 miles South...

beautiful lake basin on the South slope of White Mountain, just West of the South Twin Peak LO...

White Mountain... with its namesake ridge of white rock

Twin Peaks LO... it's way up there!

no one home in the LO today, but while I'm walking on the observation deck, I look
West toward Pinyon Peak and Cape Horn and see this!... can't be good

What a beautiful place the Twin Peaks/Sleeping Deer area is!! but we've got to try to get out of here now on that crappy tire!... so off we go... just about out to Challis...

One last Challenge site to complete all 48 sites for this year!! Bayhorse... it's a mining area about 15miles South West of Challis... it was locked up when we got there... but we got our picture!! 48 fantastic places visited... everyone unique...

on the way home we go through Stanley and then Cape Horn... we get a better look at the carnage ocurring along the Seafoam/Beaver Creek road... we rode the Beaver Creek road just a week ago going to Pinyon Peak and Langer Monument... no one one will be going to those places for while now!!

Langer Mountain... all lit up!

from here, our ride home was uneventful but hot... a good 4 day road trip with 11 challenge sites visited and the challenge itself completed for this year... I can't believe its over!! now I'm going to have to get some neglected yard and ranch work done that I've been putting off all summer... it's been great doing the challenge... and I appreciate IAMC for putting the challenge together and picking 48 wonderful places to visit... thanks! oh, and by the way... Trent made it home on that tire!... I still can't believe it...

silverspurs screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 10:34 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #81
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
So that is what Ulysses looks like.

I'll get there as soon as my bike is repaired.
hows that going?? is it going to be days?? or weeks??
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #82
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
hows that going?? is it going to be days?? or weeks??
Its going well, I guess. Insurance gave the go ahead on repairs last last week so Big Twin should get started this upcoming week. I'll have to ask for an ETA.

Once my bike is finished I'll be posting a "Dax's Road to Recovery" ride up 8th street and either over to Bogus or just come down Rocky Canyon. I'll be sure to let you know about it.

By the way, I took my family up to Roosevelt Lake and we camped in the campsite by the trailhead. It was a zoo!!! On Saturday no less than a dozen vehicles came thru and/or stopped. I was hoping for some peace and quiet but alas this must have been "Let's go to Roosevelt Lake" weekend.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #83
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us. I have enjoyed following your adventure.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #84
badmemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the great reports Rick and congrats on finishing. What I love about idaho is there's always more to see. I'm considering a go at the challenge next yr, probably not at your pace though :cool:
badmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #85
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us. I have enjoyed following your adventure.
thanks!... It was a blast doing it... about 4800 riding miles, to visit all the sites and at least 1/2 that on dirt , some of the best places in Idaho this year... many places I've wanted to get too for many years... great fun
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #86
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
Its going well, I guess. Insurance gave the go ahead on repairs last last week so Big Twin should get started this upcoming week. I'll have to ask for an ETA.

Once my bike is finished I'll be posting a "Dax's Road to Recovery" ride up 8th street and either over to Bogus or just come down Rocky Canyon. I'll be sure to let you know about it.

By the way, I took my family up to Roosevelt Lake and we camped in the campsite by the trailhead. It was a zoo!!! On Saturday no less than a dozen vehicles came thru and/or stopped. I was hoping for some peace and quiet but alas this must have been "Let's go to Roosevelt Lake" weekend.
were all those folks going down the trail to the lake?? I was hoping to pack in there some time for some peace and quiet, but now I'm wondering if it gets really busy since it's only a mile off the road...
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #87
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
absolutely fantastic ! Thanks guys, I have really enjoyed your report. If we could vote for best RR's of all time I would be picking this one.
Iím in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And itís difficult to analyze love when youíre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #88
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
were all those folks going down the trail to the lake?? I was hoping to pack in there some time for some peace and quiet, but now I'm wondering if it gets really busy since it's only a mile off the road...
Thankfully no.

3 trucks pulling horse trailers stopped to water their horses but they were heading up past Thunder Mtn Mine to supply some folks doing trail clearing down to the Middle Fork (yes, about 30 miles of Wilderness track clearing WITHOUT chainsaws). 1 motorcyclist, not with motoidaho (yet), walked down to the lake and back. 1 ATV rider did the same. A couple from Minidoka brought snorkel gear to dive the lake. Fish and Game came by.

I know there was more but I don't remember. I think part of the traffic was due to the YP Harmonica Festival but some can't be excused that way.

I have to admit I was a bit aggravated having driven 6 hours to then be pestered constantly by people.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #89
silverspurs OP
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
absolutely fantastic ! Thanks guys, I have really enjoyed your report. If we could vote for best RR's of all time I would be picking this one.
thanks for the kind words!... I was a bit hesitant to do this report... I'm not a gifted writer or photographer like some others who do ride reports... and I envy their talent... I'm mostly just an observer... but after reading and enjoying so many fine reports from others, I felt I owed some payback and decided to give it a try.... I found that keeping a report going can become a bit of a taskmaster!... but it has also been fun.

again; thanks for the support!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #90
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
thanks for the kind words!... I was a bit hesitant to do this report... I'm not a gifted writer or photographer like some others who do ride reports... and I envy their talent... I'm mostly just an observer... but after reading and enjoying so many fine reports from others, I felt I owed some payback and decided to give it a try.... I found that keeping a report going can become a bit of a taskmaster!... but it has also been fun.

again; thanks for the support!
ah, to the contrary, I really enjoy your writing, its as if you are right there talking to me, very discriptive. Also, I think that your photos are outstanding, keep up the good work !
Iím in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And itís difficult to analyze love when youíre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote