Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
GodOmelet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Ok good news, the cycle gear across town has the belray in 5,10, and 15 weight. So thats under control. Need to find a measuring device and make a tool to loosen then fork caps next. (recovered my seat this weekend, so not wasting time!)
I just did my fork oil on my 77 R100/7 last weekend and used the recommended 7.5wt BMW stuff.
The old fluid was hesitant to come out until I employed Duane's method of tapping on the fork brace w a rubber mallet until the lowers drop (obviously after taking off the lower caps and nuts/washers and loosening the filler caps). Put something below to catch/support the forks when they drop. The fluid comes out in a big gush. Then I used a little jack to carefully raise the fork lowers back up and thread the rods with the locknuts. My local mom
and pop pharmacy had a 60ml syringe for a couple of bucks that worked a trick on refilling. She's riding much smoother now.
GodOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #32
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Update:

Finally did my fork oil yesterday. Glad I had both the haynes manual and the clymers. It was not said in the haynes manual that once the bottom nut is off that you have to push up on the shaft. One side wouldnt drain and it was only upon reading the clymers that it made more sense. Also, I was suprised that there was not an inner "cap" and the outer cap was the actual seal. It appears that someone used a pipe wrench to take them off once before!

Anyway, the left side was water fouled (discolored). Both sides were pretty nasty though. No big chunks or anything in the fluid. Filled and plunged as the instructions say. Today made my ride to work and seems like the sticktion I was getting is completely gone. With that the dampening effect that the front forks are supposed to do seems to be working much better.

My plan is to run it a week and do another fluid change and replace the gaskets on the caps.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote