User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Anywhereness OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Eek Leaning Wobble in Corners?

This issue is RESOLVED. See here on what I think went down..

Info Preface:
I have a 2001 LC4E with the 18L tank, outfitted with some Kenda dual sport knobbies, and don't have a lot of experience riding enduro/dirt bikes.

The Problem:
When going around corners on asphalt, I often (but not always) get a wobble on the bike that seems to push or pull the bike towards the lean angle. It doesn't feel like steering wheel wobble and seems to happen on tight corners where I lean in quickly.

My first thought is that it's being caused by fuel sloshing around in the tank, because the wobble has that "carrying five gallon bucket of water" feeling to it's oscillation. I can correct it mid turn by fighting against it and smoothing it out.

It seems like it's possible to get the bike leaned over more on tar, but the wobble is enough to affect handling and doesn't inspire the confidence to start pushing the bike further.

Afterthought Side Question:
I'm leaning through corners principally by leaning the bike, bending my knees and getting down low on the bike and trying to keep my torso more perpendicular to the ground, rather than a sport bike lean where my spine shares nearly the same angle as the bike. Does this sound like correct technique to get the most out of cornering?

Cheers!

www.anywhereness.org

Anywhereness screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 09:59 AM
Anywhereness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Although fuel slosh could be an issue, I find myself getting wobble when I'm on roads I'm less familiar with and I'm making more corrections to my line without noticing. It's more like a broad weave than a tight wobble, but once I get honed in on that particular turn, it seems to go away.

As for correct lean, I'm still unsure. I've used both and seem to have more control when I start laying my torso down, but I do better "on top" of the bike at lower speeds.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Try cranking up the pre-load on the rear and see if it helps.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 01:55 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
How are you holding yourself onto the motorcycle when you make the steering input and from that point on? Are you simply holding onto the handlebars with your lower body relaxed and doing nothing, or are you "locked in" with your lower body and making it part of the chassis instead of something that's shifting around on top of it? Which one do you think the motorcycle would prefer you do?

Knobby tires do give you a very vague feel when cornering especially when you lean it over further where the tread tends to get taller, smaller, and more flexible (depending on the exact tire of course). Pushing the bike under you is ok for dirt but if you're on pavement the best way is to keep yourself inline with the bike or hanging off the inside slightly. That will reduce lean angle a little bit and keep the contact patch on the stronger part of the tire for pavement. If it were a road tire it really wouldn't matter, if you had rubber left there is no reason not to use it.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Steering input, Sounds more like steering input, you are using both hands to steer the bike and giving different imput with each hand, push with the inside hand then make a little correction with the outside (You are creating what we call a feedback loop). Try to only steer with the insdie hand when making turns and see if that helps.

outlaws justice screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 01:32 PM
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
I have felt what you describe when my tires are low. I've noticed it to be more pronounced at lower speeds and it feels like loose surface dirt, dispite being a clean area. My tires were down 7-10 pounds and they felt squishy in turns.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
OakLeaf
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Throttle control

I've experienced wobble in corners when not being smooth with the throttle. You can't corner as hard with knobbies, and you are probably sensing that. Slow down a little more in the set up for the corner, before you actually start the arc. You can then get on the throttle earlier, pretty much the second you actually start the arc. Keep a very consistent throttle, or SLOWLY roll on the gas through the turn. The wobble, for me, has come when accidentally rolling off the throttle.

Steering input, as said above is also a very likely culprit. Smooth throttle and smooth steering are almost the same issue.

Cheers,

-Carl
OakLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Check your air pressure.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 527
Which Kendas are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch of Entropy View Post
Info Preface:
I have a 2001 LC4E with the 18L tank, outfitted with some Kenda dual sport knobbies, and don't have a lot of experience riding enduro/dirt bikes.

The Problem:
When going around corners on asphalt, I often (but not always) get a wobble on the bike that seems to push or pull the bike towards the lean angle. It doesn't feel like steering wheel wobble and seems to happen on tight corners where I lean in quickly.

My first thought is that it's being caused by fuel sloshing around in the tank, because the wobble has that "carrying five gallon bucket of water" feeling to it's oscillation. I can correct it mid turn by fighting against it and smoothing it out.

It seems like it's possible to get the bike leaned over more on tar, but the wobble is enough to affect handling and doesn't inspire the confidence to start pushing the bike further.

Afterthought Side Question:
I'm leaning through corners principally by leaning the bike, bending my knees and getting down low on the bike and trying to keep my torso more perpendicular to the ground, rather than a sport bike lean where my spine shares nearly the same angle as the bike. Does this sound like correct technique to get the most out of cornering?

Cheers!
What Kenda DS knobbies are you running? I switched from the Kenda K270 in the rear to a Shinko 244 because the very outboard set of knobs on the Kenda are very small and "squirmy". The bike goes from "fine...fine...fine...OH S&%^!" as you continue to lean over and get to those squirrely, wiggly knobs on the outside. The Shinko has much larger/better supported knobs on the outer edge.

Kenda K270
Shinko 244
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
What Kenda DS knobbies are you running? I switched from the Kenda K270 in the rear to a Shinko 244 because the very outboard set of knobs on the Kenda are very small and "squirmy". The bike goes from "fine...fine...fine...OH S&%^!" as you continue to lean over and get to those squirrely, wiggly knobs on the outside. The Shinko has much larger/better supported knobs on the outer edge.

Kenda K270/Shinko 244
I concure. The Shinko is much more predictable in the tight stuff.

The Shinko actually lets you know it is going to wash out the front and gives you the option of gathering it back up. The Kenda just puts you on your face.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Steering imput, Sounds more like steering imput, you are using both hands to steer the bike and giving different imput with each hand, push with the inside hand then make a little correction with the outside (You are creating what we call a feedback loop). Try to only steer with the insdie hand when making turns and see if that helps.
WTF is "IMPUT"?

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Any chance your swing arm bearings are loose?
I restore old bikes, when the swing arm bearings get too worn and loose the bikes wobble like you have described.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
It sounds to me like the OP isn't purposefully countersteering. He's trying to lean the bike, rather than pushing on the inside bar to lean it. Smooth steering inputs at the bars can smooth things out if tire pressure, tread, and other factors are ruled out.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Meromorph
Expat Brit in TN.

Oddometer: 139
Check:

1. swing arm bearings

2. headstock bearings

3. tire pressure (front and rear)

4. front wheel kinked.

5. steering technique. (you can only steer by countersteering. Whatever else you think you're doing, is only achieving indirect countersteering. The simple direct and reliable way to countersteer is to press forward on the left grip to turn left, press forward on the right grip to turn right.)

Your 'leaning' technique is incorrect, stay in line with your bike unless you know, and understand, the times when you can do better by leaning one way or the other. Staying in line is always right.
Meromorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
WTF is "IMPUT"?
hahaha
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote