ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #46
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
I am recently particularly interested in this topic. Can you guys give some up close shots of how you attached your brackets? I'm interested in mounting a mountain bike on the bike with the front wheel removed if possible. Thanks.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #47
Sethuel
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Rockhopper on the KLR

Got the rack at Walmart ($39) and just strapped it to the top case. Made a wheel rack and was good to go

Sethuel screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 02:36 PM Reason: pic
Sethuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #48
drahbany
n00b

Oddometer: 4
This is my 08 Wee with home-mounted Thule rack. Took this shot on my return home from racing the Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge, CO.

The rack is removable via quick-release Thule "feet" mounted to my Pelican case side bags. This setup is very solid. It easily accommodates 29ers and is stable even in burly cross winds. The extra weight in the rear end lends itself to deceleration wobble in the front end, but I've never felt it was unmanageable. Longest trip I've taken with this setup was about 275 miles.
drahbany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #49
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,389

Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #50
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post

You are obviously a person of exceptional taste. From my perspective, that's about as nice a 3 bike setup as a guy can have.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #51
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
thingz won't work that way, ah' I seem like an old man no one want to understand working process....
? Are you confused about why someone would want to carry a bicycle on a moto? I do it because I don't own a car - the GS is all I've got, so its got to be versatile. If I want to go mountain biking somewhere besides the state park down the street, I've got to pack up and travel about 20 miles - not so easy on a 45lb DH rig.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #52
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by drahbany View Post
This is my 08 Wee with home-mounted Thule rack. Took this shot on my return home from racing the Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge, CO.

The rack is removable via quick-release Thule "feet" mounted to my Pelican case side bags. This setup is very solid. It easily accommodates 29ers and is stable even in burly cross winds. The extra weight in the rear end lends itself to deceleration wobble in the front end, but I've never felt it was unmanageable. Longest trip I've taken with this setup was about 275 miles.
Nice! What frame is that?
go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #53
drahbany
n00b

It's a Redline Monocog Flight 29er. Snapped the frame a month after the race at Heil Ranch near Lyons, CO.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #54
drahbany
n00b

Details of my rig...

@leeinmemphis here are some details of my setup. I designed the rig to meet the particlars of my needs and motorcycle setup, so it may not be the best choice for everyone.

Things I really like about the Rahbany Rack:
  • Very stable three point mounting system.
  • Minimal modifications needed on the bike, namely: small hole cut into the rubber carrier pad.
  • Can be installed/uninstalled on the Vstrom in under two minutes.
  • Clean setup with minimally obvious ghetto parts.
  • Much less expensive than commercial versions.

Caveats:
  • Setup assumes side-loading side cases.
  • Fairly Vstrom specific though I bet it would work with many ADV bikes.
  • Handling characteristics of the motorcycle change with these kinds of rigs, so be prepared!

The bike without the rack looks pretty standard. I never remove the side cases. They have saved my bike in three separate wrecks and have proven to be worthy fixtures on the bike.

The Thule mounts are bolted to the tops of the Pelican cases with rubber gaskets in place to preserve waterproof characteristics.

Detail of the Thule mount.

The rack itself is all standard gear: Rocky Mounts Pitchfork mounted to a Thule crossbar (shortened to suit) and Thule mounts.

The only modification to the bike itself was to cut a hole in the rubber pad seen here exposing a hole in just the perfect spot on the bike carrier.

The Pitchfork's standard thumbscrew fastener works perfectly with the added hockey puck (hole drilled through center of puck) used as a spacer / dampener.

Rubber ski straps securely fasten the front tire to the bike.

The Rahbany Rack accommodates 29er with ease and leaves enough room for my gear and me up front.

You can see this rig puts more weight off the back end of the bike than is probably ideal, but I much prefer this setup as it leaves the cockpit unobstructed. I have taken this rig on 300+ mile journeys in rather stiff Colorado side winds and have never been sketched out by the handling. It does require some attention, especially negotiationing the canyon twisties, but overall I'm very stoked with this setup.

Cheers,

Dave Rahbany
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #55
FZ1 Matt
Better last than crashed

Oddometer: 212

The KLR is the redneck pickup truck of motorcycles. That's why I fashioned my bike rack out of old warped 2x4s I found in the garage!

This was my first and only prototype. It snapped when I jumped down a ditch with the bike on the back.

And here's a friend dirt tracking an Xr1200 while wearing a bicycle on his back.

Edit... He's wearing 2 bicycle frames on his back. A friend and I split up all the wheels, affixing them to our motorcycles while he took frames.

There are infinitely easier and better ways to get mountain bikes to the bike trails, we were not heading in that direction.
FZ1 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #56
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I decided to try a different approach

I didn't want the bike hanging way off they back

and I wanted something simple that was fast to take on and off and didn't affect the passenger area

this is what i've come up with so far:

wera ex #308
LordMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #57
visovm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
My setup

I finally got around to designing my bike on bike setup.
I took some tips and ideas from many others in this thread, and I am satisfied with my design after a 20 mile shake down run with back roads twistes, some rough pavement and a speed test of 60mph.

The rack seemed stable, with a little bit of flex in the system, which is expected. I think it would be a little more balanced once I have my riding gear and hydration fluids in the opposite side case.

The only other option that I might try for longer rides to the trail head is making a foam block to mount the bottom bracket right to the Yakima rail...which should move some of the weight closer to the center of the bike by eliminating the rear tire. I will also have to devise a solution for mounting the rear tire on the passenger seat (maybe along with the front tire to take more weight off the rack)

See below for my process and end results:

needed longer bolts for the front clamp to make it around the passenger peg

test with the bike on to check clearances, i will need to rotate the handlebars

fabrication of bracket to hold rear of Yakima rack and front wheel

testing the clearances and location of holes for the yakima rack. i realized i will have to use the top case the anchor the bike and keep it from swinging around

all loaded up and ready to mount the front wheel

testing with the other bike just to be sure it works

all loaded up and ready for the test.

The test went well and none of the bolts or straps came loose. I think i will have to get used to the movement of the bicycle whenever the moto hits a bump. It seems to be stable at speed and in turns, I have not had any cross wind experience, but im sure it will be ok.

visovm screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 06:41 AM
visovm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #58
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 386
A Super V on a Wee Awesome!
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #59
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Best mount system i've seen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visovm View Post
I finally got around to designing my bike on bike setup.
I took some tips and ideas from many others in this thread, and I am satisfied with my design after a 20 mile shake down run with back roads twistes, some rough pavement and a speed test of 60mph.

The rack seemed stable, with a little bit of flex in the system, which is expected. I think it would be a little more balanced once I have my riding gear and hydration fluids in the opposite side case.

The only other option that I might try for longer rides to the trail head is making a foam block to mount the bottom bracket right to the Yakima rail...which should move some of the weight closer to the center of the bike by eliminating the rear tire. I will also have to devise a solution for mounting the rear tire on the passenger seat (maybe along with the front tire to take more weight off the rack)

See below for my process and end results:

needed longer bolts for the front clamp to make it around the passenger peg

test with the bike on to check clearances, i will need to rotate the handlebars

fabrication of bracket to hold rear of Yakima rack and front wheel

testing the clearances and location of holes for the yakima rack. i realized i will have to use the top case the anchor the bike and keep it from swinging around

all loaded up and ready to mount the front wheel

testing with the other bike just to be sure it works

all loaded up and ready for the test.

The test went well and none of the bolts or straps came loose. I think i will have to get used to the movement of the bicycle whenever the moto hits a bump. It seems to be stable at speed and in turns, I have not had any cross wind experience, but im sure it will be ok.

wera ex #308
LordMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #60
visovm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thumb Mission success

Thanks for the comments!!

The Cannondale Super V-500 was my first real MTN bike and I loved it. Than I got the Giant Reign and realized how outdated that suspension is! Which reminds me, the Wee has some outdated suspension as well.

Anyway here are a few more pictures of the rack setup:

close up of the mount to the Givi rack

Front and rear mounting technique

Rack painted, bolts trimmed, ready for a 100 mile shake down run

Road out to Motorcycle Pedia museum in Newburgh, NY and back home.

The rack preformed great. Nothing came loose, it had minimal flex and movement in the system. And the best part was all the looks from other motorists.

I say it worked out well for what I want it to do.