ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
PDsgt OP
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Question The planning stage...This is where I need some advice please

Hey all, A true Yank here. Born and raised in the land of long and cold winters. Upstate NY. The only reason I stay here is because I love to pay high taxes and those 7 month long winters. As I am writing this, there is 7 inches of snow in my driveway and its 14 degrees here..

Anyway, the only good part of winter here is that since the weather sucks there is plenty of time to sit inside and read hours and hours of ADVrider. The pics of bikes and stories helps to pass the time.

So here is the part where I ask for help. Since I have this desire to blow my fucking brains out looking at my bikes in the garage, unable to legitimately ride them. I am starting the plans for a road trip. Going to ride from my home in NY to Key West. I am trying to work it out for October of this year. I want to travel when its not blistering hot in the south. Anything above 60 and it's brutal. JK.

The help I am looking for is that I want to take my time and stop and see some scenery. I am particularly interested in seeing some of the old historic south. I would love to plan some overnights along the way in some old historic towns. Maybe check out some places where the Union soldiers smashed the skulls of the treasonous confederates, and then raped and pillaged the town. Just kidding around. Please don't hate me.

I am not a camping type guy, so in my ideal circumstances, I would like to be able to park the bike at a reasonable hotel/motel and walk to some historic downtown places. Eat and have about 10 rum and cokes before staggering back to the room.

I have never ridden further south than Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

So if some of you confederate inmates are so inclined to help out a Yank, I would much appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Some places to consider stopping....

Charleston, SC
Beufort, SC
Aiken, SC
Augusta, Ga
Savannah, Ga
St. Augustine, Fla

Can still expect temps very much above 60 the further south you go, especially in October. I was in central Florida las week and it was 78 and humid a couple of days, but dropped down overnight and after a couple of days. Was a high of about 52 in Orlando this past Thursday. I'm used to hot and humid, so it felt good to me...
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Come to Alabama! Plenty of Civil War sites to visit, a pretty nice State Archives in Montgomery, Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham (Vintage weekend is in October), the Mobile-Tensaw Delta, great food........good luck and have fun!!

Oh, and it will be about 60 degrees here, so I'm riding after lunch.....

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote