Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I wonder why you feel that you are likely to succeed when manufacturers such as Bimota failed with port injection? Direct injection is certainly feasible though, and I would imagine a similar design to that used on various scooters could be used.

There are various reasons why port injection is not likely to work, but the main one is that without very sophisticated and costly electronics, its not going to be possible to improve on a properly jetted common or garden carb set up.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
The reason bimota failed was development, they wanted to use semy direct injection like skeedoo but they had 6 month's or so development. I cant use there injection method, because at idle (800 rpm) i calculated that the injector only has 0.83ms to inject the required fuel and that is not enough time for a low pressure system (3.5bar) to inject the fuel.

The advantages of port fuel injection is as follows

better atomisation at any throttle opening
larger throttle body without sacrificing low down torque
Adjustability
barometric compensation

Disadvantage

more weight
cost

The reason manufactures do not develop 2t efi is simple, what are the modern 2strokes known for:
1-simplicity
2-lightweight
3-low price compared to equivalent 4stroke

Those are the selling points.

For a pure mx bike i would not develop this. on a mx track the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.little altitude change, wide open throttle most of the time and short races compared to enduros.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I would be very interested to hear more about any successful 2T port EFI systems, especially anything related to how the degree of precision provided by a simple carb, can be improved on.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Everything i have read on efi port 2t (posted examples) is that there is an increase in power. smoothness, lowdown torque, throttle response (ignition) and general rideability.

When i started doing research on the topic(about 4 years ago) i wanted to do semy direct injection, but the power requirements and weight were to high(high pressure fuel pump).

When i have all the required parts i will start testing and when it is done, advrider is the first place i will show what i have accomplished.
Parts just for the efi system (sensors eco fuel pump battery regulator etc) and dyno time will cost me about 1850 USD.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I was wondering if anyone has actually managed to get 2T port EFI working and if so where to find info on this? Also any pics or further details on the motor you intend to modify, and is it for road or race use?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #36
e rock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Try some of the guys at

http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

All I could find was this: http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catal...ch43hd8tudu85#

Chances of this type of thing actually working are close to zero, and anyone getting involved with this type of snake oil seller is wasting their money!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #38
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They have been doing banshee efi for a while now, i think it its flat track and drag racing, but also for just playing around. Then there is the fuel injected cr500.

All of them are custom built systems. there are no kit's except for the banshee. Its extremely expensive so most guys use micro or megasquirt ecu witch works well.

Its a fully programmable universal ecu.

I think the kit is only supposed to be used on scooters or something in that line(i came across it a while back during my research).
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #39
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my engine i want to convert is a 2006 ktm 250sx engine

Things i am planing is just an engine rebuild and cleaning the production defects in the ports, smoothing the intake to the crankcase and at he same time reducing crankcase volume. Than put everything together and make shore everything is in speck (squish, pv max height).

At the moment the engine is standerd in every way except my stator and pipe(full procircuit system, expansion chamber platinum 2).
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #40
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I would suggest steering well clear of anything to do with MBE Motorsport................their products seem to largely consist of Chinese rubbish of the type sold on Ebay!

Maybe an idea to look closely at the areas you feel are lacking or need to be improved on your bike, and investigate how to go about alterations using tried and tested parts and methods?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #41
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am not planing to use there kit, frankly speaking it is utterly useless to me. My hole project is going to be custom built.

More along the lines of the fuel injected cr500 in new zealand.

I want to fuel inject my 2t for the sake of fuel injecting it and improving it. I have tried talking myself out of it, but i failed.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #42
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If you are looking for something in the way of a 2T injection system that works, take a close look at the Orbital Engine ones, that I think are being used on some scooter applications.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #43
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have, but the weight increase and power consumption of such a system is to much for my stator and after market stator can only provide 120Watt power max (current stator 110Watt). I have looked at all methods including athena's method. but the only one i can feasibly use is throttle body injection.

And i know throttle body injection works and has the benefits i am looking for, from the people that have done it.

Orbital system you are referring to injects fuel and a blast of air. That requires me to include a small compressor and i am not striving for better fuel economy, i want more low down torque, more top end, smooth engine, adjustability and no more jets to change without increasing weight to much. The only method that fits the bill is throttle body injection.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #44
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also Dfi requires the engine to be built around the system to work effectively, throttle body injection not. i am just replacing the carb with a similar system that just adjusts its self.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #45
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I think you are likely to find out the hard (and costly) way that if port EFI for 2T motors actually worked, that manufacturers would have used these systems in the past, and kits which had been properly developed and tested would certainly be on the market today!

If you do seriously want to fit EFI to something, then buy a 4T with carb fitted, and put a system on that. BS posted on chat forums about post EFI actually working is just that................BS!