Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #76
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Shame you are unable to try an Ossa.............the difference really isnt worth $3-4k.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #77
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
we also dont have suspension tuners and engine tuners. If you want any of that type of stuff done, you do it yourself. There are two people i know of with revalved suspention and they did it them self.

The shipping would cost me just as much as the service to get things like dick carb taper bore done.

It sucks but i love the place.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #78
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Doing it yourself very often works out better than paying a so called professional a lot of money for a hack job, so is well worth a try for anyone who is confident of their workmanship.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #79
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

for my up and coming suspension rebuild i am upgrading to skf seals, 170mm oil hole mod and a set of springs(0.46 or0.48).

New spring for the back as well.

During the engone rebuild i will be cleaning up casting imperfections, reducing crankcase volume, checking my squash and pv max hight. Oo and macthing the ports to the case.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #80
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Twin Shocker has some good points but I say do it anyways. I'm planning on building a serious 2 stroke adv. bike and eventually I want to direct inject it just to get good mileage. I've been doing some research and it seems possible if not easy. I need to learn a lot more about 2 stroke tuning before I can be reasonably sure it is within my abilities. It will be a lot of work but it would be worth it. Even if others don't think so.
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #81
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The main reasons to avoid a home built EFI for a 2T bike to be used seriously, are firstly cost, and secondly the level of complication which will drastically reduce reliability. If high cost ($3-5K inc development) and less reliability, are not a big problem then I wish you the best of luck, but if I had that money to spend on improving a bike I certainly wouldnt be looking at EFI (the only EFI bike I have ridden works well, but the system certainly doesnt mean its $3-5k better than a carb bike).
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #82
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The efi system may be home asembled but the parts are not home built. The ecu is made to work with all the sensors i mentiond. There are no reliability issues with morden efi, not even water will be an issue.

2trally the bigest two problems with 2t dfi is that to power the pump you are going to need a big stator, my system will suck aproximitly 70Watt and the second problem would be weight, but i guss on an adv bike a few extra kilos would do no harm.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #83
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

it would cost just as much to inject a 4t as it would a 2t. The parts used are the same, the testing method's are the same and dyno time would be the same.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #84
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I think you will find the time it takes to development an indirect home built EFI system for a 2T motor, will be considerably longer than anything related to 4T.

Reasons for this is due to the difficulty of accurately measuring the negative/positive pressures in a 2T crankcase, which are linked directly to atmospheric conditions and temperature, and is the main reason nearly all commercial 2T EFI systems are direct injection, even though this is much more complicated and costs more than port injection.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #85
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to use a method called alpha-N blending where load is determined by a tps not a map sensor.

4t without vtt that use very large valve overlap would display the same weak map reading at idle(like a 2t), but fuel injection is still used on them quite efectivly. There is a way to stabilize the map reading at idle.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #86
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Wish you the best of luck, but get the feeling that the final results are likely to a lot less effective than what you are looking for?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #87
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I found something that can do all i want fuel wise and its simple, but not cheap at the moment. The price will halve next year when they start diecasting.

Here's a link to a discussion and customer reviews about the carb.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13471

Link to there website.

https://secure.powerapt.com/index.php

Here is the carb. Mmmm me likey.

But i am still going to do the 3D ignition.

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #88
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
The main reasons to avoid a home built EFI for a 2T bike to be used seriously, are firstly cost, and secondly the level of complication which will drastically reduce reliability. If high cost ($3-5K inc development) and less reliability, are not a big problem then I wish you the best of luck, but if I had that money to spend on improving a bike I certainly wouldnt be looking at EFI (the only EFI bike I have ridden works well, but the system certainly doesnt mean its $3-5k better than a carb bike).
You have an real experience with EFI? What exactly will reduce reliability?

I can be done for under $1000. And done well. Instead of using the kit this may be cheaper and easier to use. It will even autotune E85 with a sensor. If you look around the 'net there is tons of good info on homebuilt EFI.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #89
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

I can be done for under $1000. And done well. Instead of using the kit this may be cheaper and easier to use. It will even autotune E85 with a sensor. If you look around the 'net there is tons of good info on homebuilt EFI.
That is what I have been saying, efi is not as complicated as most people think.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #90
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

I revered him to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY , but he wont beleve anything until he rides the bike.