Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
The only damage left on me is a slightly banged up knee and a partially torn PCL.

Luckily, I bought a DR the week before the wreck! Have not ridden it much due to the leg, dizziness and light-headedness I had from a concussion in the wreck, and I'm needing to thoroughly check the DR before risking much. Lots of questionable "maintenancr" was done to it previously.

Laura gave me my first tour of he Manchester Forest after lunch Saturday, and I loved it! So much better than Francis Marion, and the DR handles great.

Looking forward to your review of the new bike.
Glad to hear it! I've heard that Manchester is really sandy, so haven't gotten a chance to get out there yet. But glad to hear you are healing up well. Don't push it to hard!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok Draechon, here's your update.

About three months ago, I decided I was ready for my next bike. I had put around 8k miles on the KLR, dropped it almost 20 times in the dirt/sand and felt that my riding ability had gotten a good bit better. So I started looking at options and narrowed it down to the F800GS and the KTM 690R. Both very different bikes with similar horsepower. Of course the BMW is more street oriented and the KTM is sex on wheels. However, in the end I found a gentleman that was willing to trade me the KLR for his 6 month old F800GS. Honestly riding two up with my GF played into my decision. She obviously would be immensly more comfortable on the BMW. And as much as I would love to spend 50% of my time in the dirt. The amount I'm on the street and taking road trips is still a lot more than the times I get to play in the dirt, which is where the KTM shines.

So I ended up riding the KLR halfway to Alabama to meet the PO halfway from Texas. We met at a bank in Montgomery AL, ride each others respective steeds. Agreed that we still wanted to do the deal and exchange bikes and a fistful of cash. The ride home was a AWESOME. I think I had gotten over leaving the KLR by a half mile. Took about an hour for me to really start to feel comfortable with the bike. I will say the handling felt completely different. Maybe because of the rake angle of the bike? Not really sure, but setting up turns is totally different than the KLR.

The bike came with a headlight guard, Motech Crash Bars, windscreen, Vario cases, Sargent seat, and a few other goodies I'm sure I'm forgetting. The bike is mint. Not a scratch on it anywhere. At times I think it is way too nice for me. I kind of need to put some dings in it so I stop worrying about it.

Here's a pic when I stopped off in Auburn to get some food on the way home.

Without the cases on it.

At this point, I'm perfectly content to ride it. Only thing I've done is put thicker hand grips on. I haven't thought too much about doing anything too it besides regular maintenance. If I do get the itch, I will probably put a carbon exhaust on for the looks. The only complaint is the throttle is really snatchy from stops (typical of the F800GS) and there are a few mods to improve it. If I start getting crazy with it, I'll put an aftermarket skid plate on it. But other than that I love. Very happy with my purchase! If you are thinking about an F800GS, you won't be dissapointed!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Decided to ride the bike home for Christmas to my mom's in Winston-Salem NC. About a 400 mile round trip. I decided I needed to wear something a little more hi-viz to keep the cagers out of my lane.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

and
ho ho ho, fyyff!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow, holy sh*t driving home was an adventure. May just have to retire the Santa suit over it.

Riding to NC, no problemo. Cute little kids stare and wave. Seniors chuckle and nod.

Riding back to SC, totally different storry.

I've been on the road all of 15 minutes and the dude next to me keeps weaving into my lane trying to take pictures one handed with his cell phone.. He of course keeps speeding up and slowing down every time I try to evade him (while I'm trying to maintain some acceptable level of legal speed limit). I finally just say F it and pull off the interstate.

20 minutes later, white trash chick has been riding behind me in her Disgustang (I can say that, I used to own one) since I got back on the road. I'm doing 5 over the limit. The left lane is closed ahead for construction. I of course see her move over in the left lane to try to floor it past me at the last possible instant. Normally, I would just slow down and not risk life and limb and the new motorcycle and most pass. But this time I'm in a Santa suit, so I give her the long leaning over bird and not a damn inch of my lane. She backs off. I'm going to Santa hell.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, added another toy to the stable last night. Left work on Friday with an empty trailer, and made it to Beckley WV around 1am. Got up hit the road and made it to Granville OH around 2pm. Exchanged money, loaded up the trailer, and made it home last night around 1230am.

I haven't even been able to ride it yet because of the snow up there. Only spun the tires on the Jetta a few times.

98 KDX 200

More details once I get on it this week. Really needs nothing but for me to add oil and gas. Hopefully I don't tear it up!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #23
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,140
Looks like a fun bike!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
Bandy
ARRRRRR...

Oddometer: 148
Now let's see that video of the visit to TNT!:
Bandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandy View Post
Now let's see that video of the visit to TNT!:
This.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

If Bandy will just give me the damn videos he took today, then I can try to knock it out tonight! I'll even put off doing my taxes for it!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Bandy
ARRRRRR...

Oddometer: 148
Data transfer is complete. No more excuses!
Bandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I enjoyed looking at your pictures.best of luck w the kdxer I use to have one really miss selling it,you'll love it alot of snot for a little 200 cc bike.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I enjoyed looking at your pictures.best of luck w the kdxer I use to have one really miss having to sell it,you'll love it alot of snot for a little 200 cc bike.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks! So far it has been a blast. I've only ridden trails once on it so far unfortunately. There is never enough time. I've been riding it on some powerlines near me a little lately. Hopefully the weather will hold up this weekend and I'll get to take it back to the trails again. I'm still working on getting it a little more street legal before Enoree OHV opens up in a couple weeks.

DSJ's Shenanigans