User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Captain Chaos OP
Danger Ranger at Large

Oddometer: 84
moose vs motorcycle

Anyone hear about a MC vs Moose accident near fairview loop? Friend posted that she had just witnessed it about an hour ago.

Miss ya pops, The angels are in for a tough eternity!

Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
USBYGS
Riding the World

Oddometer: 878
Not good...

KTUU LINK

Take no prisoners - Leave no witnesses
USBYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
AKjack
Savvy?

Oddometer: 39
Sadly, I heard that there were no survivors. My heart goes out to the family of the rider. Stay careful out there ladies and gents.
AKjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Just read ADN, it really is sad. He must had hit it hard, plus he was also wearing a helmet.

I know most of the time when a moose cross the roads, they tend to walk slow, so really u got to just pay attention and keep an eye out ahead of you. They're not like deer, whereas they can pop out any moment.

I have had moose cross in front of me but again, I was able to see and detect.

Btw I'm not saying this guy wasnt paying attention. Just my 2cents

RIP
nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
I know most of the time when a moose cross the roads, they tend to walk slow ...
Not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
They're not like deer, whereas they can pop out any moment.
Yes they can ‘pop out’ there very, very quickly. And just when you have your eyes on it & making a move to dodge it here comes the big, half grown calf & maybe another one behind it. Now ya got a whole damn road full of MOOSE that sometimes decides they aren’t sure which way they want to go.
I remember reading about the guy that hit a moose calf near North Pole. He was wearing a helmet & thought he was mostly ok until momma moose came back & started stomping him.
I have seen full grown moose go thru the thick woods & brush in front of my house at what looks like 30 mph.
If something off the road, or in the woods, or even your bike or car scares them they can be right in front of you in half a blink of an eye.
They want to run where it is clear & can really cover the ground in a hurry, open space or otherwise.
I ain't exactly new around here by any means. Lots of close calls. I've been very lucky.
So far.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,809
Another rider was killed this past evening down by Mchugh Creek after hitting a guard rail.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,542
Sorry to hear. My condolences to their friends and families.

Here's my moose/motorbike story:

It happened on a dark Fall night a number of years ago up in the foothills behind Anchorage while riding my ol '82 BMW R100S. A warm Chinook wind had blown into town and I decided to go for a late night ride. I went down the Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm then came back taking the long way home by going up into the hills.

It was after midnight and no traffic so I was clipping along at a pretty good rate northbound on Abbott Rd. As I crested a rise a moose came running out from behind some bushes crossing right in front of me from right to left. I knew we were going to hit so as I was applying both brakes I turned my head slightly to the left preparing for impact.

My body laid up against her chest from helmet on down. The glancing blow knocked me and the bike into the oncoming lane before I came to a stop. And I DIDN'T crash! Amazing. And the moose didn't seem to be injured either. Good thing there wasn't any oncoming traffic and I'm glad the protruding cylinder jug of the opposed twin didn't catch her leg. I'm also glad I'd just gotten a jacket with dual density armor as my shoulder remained sore for days afterward. My right foot was also very sore from getting slammed against the engine.

And how far did the bike impact into the moose? Far enough to leave some moose hair stuck right smack in the center of my now cracked quarter fairing! My right mirror was also torn off the handle bars as was my horn off the right frame cradle. But thankfully no injuries to me or her. I now jokingly say that I was "counting coop" with a moose. I then rode home VERY thankful it wasn't any worse and totally amazed that I hadn't crashed!

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Skyd1v
ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Oddometer: 383
No moose/motorcycle combinations yet (knocks on head) but I did have a moose strike while driving my truck down Minnesota 3 winters back. Cow came running across that stretch between Raspberry and Dimond and by the time I could get my foot on the brake I had already clipped her.

Got lucky, only cost me a new headlight bezel and some new underwear, but yeah, those things can pop out of nowhere easily.

My condolences to the families of both riders who went down yesterday.