Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #91
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I'll try to keep this short and to the point, they don't.............
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #92
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I think I have a unique point of view on this question. It's opinion backed up by experience. I've worked in the motorcycle industry for most of my adult life. I was a tech at a Harley Davidson and Honda dealership, and I was a service manager as a BMW (plus several othe brands) dealership. BMW's are absolutely less reliable than several Japanese makes. Not trying to make anyone mad, it's just how it is. When it comes to break downs, recalls, and various issues, BMW just has more of them than say Honda. Now, they also have a different ride and feel that some people feel is better than the Japanese makes. I happen to agree. I love the GS, I plan to buy one just as soon as possible. I'm aware that I'm not buying a Honda. I know about the higher cost of ownership, but I'm willing to live with that to get the bike I want. Same reason I bought a Duc 1098 instead of a CBR 1000. I was willing to pay the higher cost of admission to get the bike I wanted. And it's all quite similar to Harley. The Harley, much like the Duc and the Beemer, costs more to own. Higher service costs and a greater chance of a breakdown. But, there is nothing like it. The Japanese companies have build some really great twin cylinder cruisers, but none of the, rider of *feel* like a Harley. I'm not talking about the status of being on one, but the feel of riding it. A Honda Shadow will never be a Fatboy. And a KLR, while being a great bike, will never be a GS.

I hope I'm getting my point across correctly. I don't mean to imply that a BMW is a lesser bike. Only that it can't be claimed to be superior to any other brand as far as reliability is concerned. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of damn good reasons to own one. But if the most miles for the smallest service investment possible is the goal, GS is the wrong bike. So is Duc, Harley, Triumph, Vespa, or KTM. I guess my point is, the reason there are so many bikes is there are so many riders. No one bike is perfect for everyone. The RT is a gold standard of Sport Toruing, but it fits me terribly and I find it uncomfortable. But looks how many guys are putting huge miles on them happily. The LT is a terrific touring bike, but I prefer the Goldwing. And like the Harley Street Glider better than either of them, even though I can give you a long list of reasons the Wing is technically better than the Harley.

To sum up, ride a GS. If its right for you, it is. If its not, you don't need a bunch of people on a forum telling you to buy one or not. Pick the bike that works for you without getting hung up on a love for machines from a certain country.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #93
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
You guys really, really, really don't get it. ................................ I wanted a BMW R100gs for my trip. Unfortunately I couldn't justify the extremely high price they now demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
Tagesk, no. I bought an R1200gs, a Triumph Tiger, A pegaso, Pegaso cube, Pegaso 660, BMW F800gs, KLR650 and a Honda Dominator to try them out for this trip. .
these two peices of information just dont tally with me,i bet the money you lost on all those bikes would have bought a r 100 gs AND farkled it for the trip????
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #94
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
these two peices of information just dont tally with me,i bet the money you lost on all those bikes would have bought a r 100 gs AND farkled it for the trip????
See, that's where I got tripped up too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
To sum up, ride a GS. If its right for you, it is. If its not, you don't need a bunch of people on a forum telling you to buy one or not. Pick the bike that works for you without getting hung up on a love for machines from a certain country.
Well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #95
angelo_balto
his Royal Dudeness

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
In my humble opinion, people usually go on forums to complain or get help with their bike when they have a problem. ANY bike on ANY forum will appear worse than it actually is. Some go on to get farkle advice or to actually praise their bikes, but the majority will cause you to worry. I bought my first BMW before forums really existed. Had they been around, I might have had plenty of worries. But instead I just bought it and enjoyed it for 16 completely (and I mean completely) trouble free years. I remember asking the dealer at the time what kind of maintenance the bike required, and he actually said 'none, just change the oil and ride it'. So, ignorantly, I rode it. I never once changed the FD oil (he says sheepishly) and it never presented a problem. Get what you think you will enjoy most, stir up the most passion in you.

I used to ride a Tiger 1050 before my GS. When I was searching at the websites, all I heard was about problem with the pistons and lookots of other issues.
Instead, owing the bike for 4 years & doing numerous trips I have to say that they were ALL trouble free!!
So, it's mostly rumors...

http://mostwantedwarehouse.com
angelo_balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #96
Ducmonza
boob

Oddometer: 63
Don't buy a Yamaha.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #97
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
The GS comes with a pretty good warranty. Buy the extended warranty and its even better. If you breakdown just make more friends wherever you are at.
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #98
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
If you want depenable get a Ural. It's quite dependable .....................

Seriously though, I've had a half dozen UJM and 2 BMW's. BMW's required more attention but I've found them to be mostly reliable. Their quirks are well known and yes parts are expensive. I think they frequently made systems more complex because they could but what the heck, I knew what I was getting into when I decided to buy one, then two.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #99
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 196
Breaking BMWs

They break because they're not Yamahas. I have a Yamaha street bike I've put 140000 miles on and it's never had the valve covers off. I had an RD 350 I put 50000 miles on and it had 180 psi on original pistons and rings when I sold it. I put 35000 miles on an XT350 and before I gave it to a friend I checked the valves and they showed no wear. Not even 0.001". When BMW makes a bike that will do any of these things I'll buy one.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #100
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Talking Unreliable

DO NOT TRUST YOUR GS!!!!
On several times I've had to put petrol in the tank and even oil in the engine, this must be a sign of bad quality if there ever was any.
It's actually so bad that I had to buy a second one to verify this and it keeps going through vast quantities of petrolas well.
The few things that can be said in it's favour are:comfortable, torquey engine, nice bike and sofar totally dependable.
Ah yes it does very well what all bikes must do regardless of make and origen:
IT PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACEWHEN I RIDE IT
PS I had to wash it once as well, POS.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #101
mandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
they do?
mine has only gone thru a slave cylinder,broken fuel line quick disconnect, tps, spark plug caps, a fouled injector, a fuel pump that stopped working when everybody was gawking at it...the last time i rode it, i could smell burnt oil and found sign of oil leak at the left side that must have been dropping on the cat...thus the burning oil smell, from where its coming no idea...and oh yes the parts are expensive....@ 31k kilometers...its ugly...but sure is fun to ride
mandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #102
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,798
So, is reliability your only measure of a good bike? Too bad if it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbob.com View Post
They break because they're not Yamahas. I have a Yamaha street bike I've put 140000 miles on and it's never had the valve covers off. I had an RD 350 I put 50000 miles on and it had 180 psi on original pistons and rings when I sold it. I put 35000 miles on an XT350 and before I gave it to a friend I checked the valves and they showed no wear. Not even 0.001". When BMW makes a bike that will do any of these things I'll buy one.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #103
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 911
Quote:

You can ride any motorbike without opening the valve cover/s if you are cheap. Or maybe it was a yamaha 2 stroke..
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #104
navpreet318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Eh?

Quote:

50000 Miles on a RD350? Hahahaha...I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Those bikes used to blow piston rings just by blipping the engine. Hahahahaha. We have RD350's here. Tons of them. and people who have put in thousand's of dollars into them. Just to make them last long. How long do they last? 20000 KMS. which is about 12000 or so miles.

Since thier inception they have been money pits. Heck even the RZ350's or the TZR's last longer than that air cooled piece of shit people brag about. Yes it was a very fast bike in its time but that time is over now.

Coming to the topic, the bikes don't break if you're not cheap. The thrills that you can get on a BMW, the ownership experience cannot be experienced with any Jap bike. And this is coming from a superbike owner. and that too a legendary superbike...the ZX-12R.
Now i'm happy with my R1200GS. It is the best investment I have made on a bike till now and will continue to buy these kind of bikes forever. 5 years down the line the Water cooled GS would be perfect and that would be a time to buy it.

Oh by the way about the Jap reliability. I bought my 12R in 2005 when all recalls were done and this was a perfect bike at the end of its lifecycle. What happened before it? well one small example: Oil goes up the electric lines of the stator and the area of the bike just behind the rider catches fire. Thats the kind of reliability Jap bikes had. Atleast the driveshaft won't burn your rear end like Jap bikes.
Numerous examples like Front forks sliding through the triple T and killing the rider. Valves and sparkplugs rocketing out of the engine block.

Oh yes piston flying out of the cylinder side and embedding itself into a car standing at a traffic light.

Point is what is advertised and what is not. You know about the BMW drive shafts. You don't know about the Jap bikes even killing people because of production faults.

Where is the Jap reliability now when Toyota is launching the biggest recalls in history in almost all of the supposedly safest cars on the planet. Most of the recalls potentially life threatening.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #105
rcd389
GSARIDER

Oddometer: 10
Funny!

This thread is hilarious! If anything it kept me busy during a slow night at work. I think I am going to drain all the gas and oil out of my 11 GSA and just sit it in the corner of my living room. I will just look at it and never have to worrry about it breaking down...

My Girl Friend will be heart broken because we have a 4000 mile trip planned in 2 weeks. Oh well, it has to be done.

rcd389 screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 03:03 AM
rcd389 is offline   Reply With Quote