Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Ragin Cajun OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eh? 1980 Yamaha MX 80 Wiring

Hello riders and wrenchers!
I've been trolling the forums for a couple years, and finally decided to join the club.
I picked up a lil Yamaha MX 80 in real bad shape to play with as a long term project. I'm not a newby to riding and wrenching, but I am to restoration, or vintage rebuilds.. Especially the electrical side of the house.
I'm looking for any help or a diagram to get this thing wired correctly. It has a funky fog light and a an old LH switch spliced into the harness. I don't want that stuff. The stator is from a GT 80, which is fine. I've been looking for a service/repair manual, but no luck yet.
Anyone familiar with these little 80s? BTW, I am thinking of ditching the throttle housing and switch, and using an after market housing with a stand alone kill switch. Either way, I need help.

Danny
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
AC Swank
Banned

Oddometer: 9,641
The reason the PO used a GT80 magneto assembly is probably to use the lighting coils. I don't think the 80MX has lighting coils. Anyways, just follow the leads (wires) back to the magneto coils and you will see.

As for the throttle assembly, yes, use what you want. The kill switch on the throttle assemble housing just connects to the ignition coil circuit and when pressed or switched, grounds out the coil, killing any spark. Again, just follow the wire (black/white) and you will see where it connects into the wiring.

If you can, please post a picture of the coils after you remove the magneto, and make sure to use the proper puller. One more thing, the threads for the puller are left hand.
AC Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
It's what I learned to ride on. I thought it was a rocket.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote