User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,419
Berlina

I thought I'd keep Berlinas revamp seperate from Schmidts for ease of future reference. I have copied & pasted some posts from Schmidts thread in case you were feeling a dose of dejavu.

A few weeks ago I was on my usual daily rounds during a workday & I was thinking to myself that there must be some old Beemers lying around somewhere discarded.As luck would have it later that day I was in a mates dark workshop storage room & before walking out into the sun a familiar outline caught my eye. We rolled up the door & I saw a badly bent old beemer.
Not knowing what it was I mentioned I might be interested in it. As things go the price was right so hands were shook & 3 of us forced the bike onto the trailer.
Upon inspection it turned out it was a 1981 R65 twin shocker. I was a bit disappointed as I was aware there were differences & incompatibilites between them & normal R80/100s however there were enough parts looking ok to make it worthwhile.

The rear subframe was pretty munted & hard against the rear wheel Check out the handy stock lunchbox holder on the rear.

The neck of the frame was twisted & the brace buckled.

Gear lever snapped off - not a biggie as it's still prettty easy to hook under like I do with schmidtty

Cool looking tacho - hopefully that still works, I forgot to check on my ride yesterday

Left hand side missing a pipe but the nut is still weirdly there??? i wonder if it actually had a pipe on there.

RHS has had a new thread welded on

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Padmei OP
enamoured

I charged up the battery which was still reasonably charged, checked the valves which were a tad tight on the intake - found another munted thread on the adjuster, put in a bit of GTX & fired it up. Apart from the clutch adjustment being out it seemed to go ok.

This avo I de-greased her, sprayed & scrubbed & began dismantling her. She actaully didn't come up too bad. it looked like the PO was a man after my own heart with improvisation.

I'm getting bloody quick at taking these things apart now. Of course I was once again disconnecting screeds of bloody BMW wiring. For heavens sake it is as painstaking as trying to roll the tape back into a cassette after jamming it in a clarion car stereo - time out of your life you shouldn't have to waste! Anyway I got there in the end.

I had been eyeing the forks up wondering if they were really bent (trying to reassure myself that they weren't) however after taking the LHS one out & putting it to a straight edge the evidence is reasonably damning.

The LHS one is a tad recalcitrant & not willing to be removed that easily. It has marks from mufti grips being used so I may need a bigger hammer. if you eye it up you can see the banana bend in it.

So at this stage I reign my enthusiam in, contemplate the cost of a replacement set of forks (not very likely I'd front up with any money for a set), see about getting them straightened, or just leave them on knowing they are bent & riding accordingly.

I will fast, meditate on it for a few days, consult the oracle, open my ears to my elders, then make a decision based upon all of the above considerations unless I read another post about some other fool throwing money away on a stupid piece of metal & plastic.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Padmei OP
enamoured

Well this week I thought about what I should do with Berlina. I figured it would be fun to have another project & perhaps stop me from slowly destroying Schmidtty with my marvelous creative ides.

I negotiated with Beemer89 for a mono R65 frame with live plates - rego on hold, a twin shock subframe & 2 manky old headers for $250. My wife was returning from Chch on Saturday & Graham dropped them off for her to bring home.

In the meantime I had stripped most of the parts off the old girl & where there once was a bike there was now a pile of parts.

The LHS fork was very tight in the bottom yoke & a wooden wedge had to be driven in to allow it to open up enough for it to be hammered out with the application of crc then heat.

The exhaust spanner I borrowed didn't fit the smaller nuts so I contemplated making a homemade one but upon looking at the condition of the nuts anyway went to it with a cold chisel & hammer on the LHS. I carefully knocked it around & off. the thread was a tad stripped however it did go back on again so i may just clean it up. the RHS one slid off by hand so the PO obviously had had them off previously.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Padmei OP
enamoured

I was apprehensive about taking the yokes off as I hadn't taken a set of a BMW. I could of of course gone inside & looked at the manual but instead just started taking things out.

The top nut wasn't too tight & a twist of the crescent got it off. The bearings felt quite smooth.

I had a looksie at the new frame & subframe. I sat them side by side & studied their differences.

The mono frame is the one on the left or closest to us.
The biggest difference that would affect me is the mounting for the sidestand. The sidestand on the bent frame is excellent & I would like to retain the position. I may cut the mounting off & tranfer it to the new frame.

The rears look very similar apart from the shock mounting on the mono frame. This may come in handy incase I bent Schmidttys' frame.

Here's the subframes.

I will hammer out the old seat pan to make a mould for the new seat- with hump.

I degreased the new frame & gave it a clean. iwas contemplating what to do with the frame as far as painting etc. I talked to mrs Padmei about the bike & she was happy it was going to be a cafe racer as she doesn't like those 'new plastic looking bikes'. She wants me to keep it looking old & I tend to agree with her.
I'm thinking I'll maybe just wirebrush the rusty bits & spray some rust killer black primer on the worst bits.

I forgot about a set of megaphones on trademe & they went for 41 bloody dollars. All auctions should finish between 7-8.30pm i reckon.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
The stand and engine mounts are castings welded on both sides, you can grind the welds off and then re-weld them.
I sanded my frame down and used rustkill epoxy black...took about 2 cans.
Oddly the R65 triple clamp is way stronger than the road bikes one, would polish up nice on a cafe bike.
Maxheadroom up here is fitting a mono swingarm to an earlier frame....I think he found that the swing arm had a 'challenge' .....can't recall....drive shaft oval bit touches frame...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
Padmei OP
enamoured

Cheers
BTW I have accidently outbid you on those mufflers. I didn't know it was you till after I placed my bid. You go for it - there are plenty that come along.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Oddly the R65 triple clamp is way stronger than the road bikes one, would polish up nice on a cafe bike.
Except that In Padmei's photos it looks like the triples are bent too (?)
Quote:
Maxheadroom up here is fitting a mono swingarm to an earlier frame....I think he found that the swing arm had a 'challenge' .....can't recall....drive shaft oval bit touches frame...
The brace above the swingarm is lower on the older frames. This means you can't get the full range of movement in the thicker tube Monolever (And also on the big tube twin arm swingarm for some frames).

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Except that In Padmei's photos it looks like the triples are bent too (?)
No they look good. I put a straight edge across them. I suspect they hit something which flipped the bike a distance in the air & it landed heavily on the rear. i gave them a bit of a cleanup on the wire wheel & they came out OK.

I'm not sure if I should post this but I hada look on the seppo ebay & nearly fell over when I saw what prices they are reaching. In comparison we have it really really good. it's a pity for them that all motorcycles imported into New Zealand aren't allowed to be exported out again.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
You mean this one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item19d12bb3c9

Good example of what I was saying....scope creep.
If he had started with an R90S he would not be taking the the hit and the costs would have been similar..
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Cool another bike rebuild thread, I like looking at the pictures as the bikes are transformed to thier former glory. Would love to attempt one myself someday if the right project presented its self....but in the mean time following this thread will have to do plus its more cost effective
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
former glory
I dunno - have you seen what hes done to his GS?

igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
You mean this one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item19d12bb3c9

Good example of what I was saying....scope creep.
If he had started with an R90S he would not be taking the the hit and the costs would have been similar..
That one is absolutely ridiculous. It's like doing a bare body rebuild of a 1986 Holden Camira. I was just looking at the OTT prices they want for a bike in good nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Cool another bike rebuild thread, I like looking at the pictures as the bikes are transformed to thier former glory. Would love to attempt one myself someday if the right project presented its self....but in the mean time following this thread will have to do plus its more cost effective
Hey Nightfalcon you realise I charge all viewers to fund this project. As you are viewing i'm already hacking into your bank account
I don't think mine will be transferred back to its' former glory. In fact I think you'l look at the finished product & wonder what I actually did to it cos it may not look that much different - just less bent stuff.
As far as projects go you really have to have a particular passion for spending the time & (often) money on them tho you know what that's like with your KTM.
I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on this to get it running & legal - at the end of the day it is really my (soon to be) mobile pile of spare parts.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
I dunno - have you seen what hes done to his GS?

Is that your tank you're hiding behind. Get back to gibbing the ceiling you slack bastard
Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

Hey Nightfalcon you realise I charge all viewers to fund this project. As you are viewing i'm already hacking into your bank account
I don't think mine will be transferred back to its' former glory. In fact I think you'l look at the finished product & wonder what I actually did to it cos it may not look that much different - just less bent stuff.
As far as projects go you really have to have a particular passion for spending the time & (often) money on them tho you know what that's like with your KTM.
I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on this to get it running & legal - at the end of the day it is really my (soon to be) mobile pile of spare parts.
For me, building an adventure bike is like finding that special girl....if you get the right one you don't mind outlaying some cash to get it looking and behaving the way you want. I imagine the same would apply for restoration jobs....probably more so
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #15
Padmei OP
enamoured

Yep except when your mind is a little indecisive like mine - it never seems to stay with one idea for very long.