Oddometer: 3,568
Great subframe & seat
http://caferacerdreams.blogspot.com....hallenge%C2%A8

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #18
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Whats the ratio number on your speedo? I might have a spare.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
Padmei OP
enamoured

I'm not sure. How do i find it? This is what it was looking like. The cable kinda fell out from the back. They're just so big- that's the problem. Why can't there be little aftermarket speedos fopr cheap like bicycle ones.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Its the W number underneath the km/h. Yours looks like W793, but its hard to tell from that pic. Refers to your rear-end ratio.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,412
My R65 instruments look different to the larger bikes, the speedo had the trip meter reset on the face.....yours don't appear to.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,445
I like the red line on the R65 better than on my Mono - makes it look like 8,000rpm is fair game....mine has it as a no go area. Anyone got a spare R65 tacho ?
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Padmei OP
enamoured

Had a go at straightening the forks this morning under the local shop press. Not much good. I will send them to the pros to get assessed & costed. it's a bugger really as I have been stupidly looking at cafe threads & classic racing etc & getting all horny over it.
I will however put a wait on it & see as if i end up buying a new set of forks then find the wheels don't fit right or brakes aren't the same etc etc etc I'll end up with a good rolling chassis with a potentially dodgy motor, box & running gear.

Banged out the speedo casing a bit & refitted the speedo - turning it around with my hand the needle moves so it may actually work.

Beemer89 can you please call me - the money bounced back - unless you've decided to sponsor my campaign & if that's the case I want a completely built up engine with all the bullshit you bloody tightwad
Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

What about forks from a Jap bike....? Motobins list the stantions but they are expensive and appear unique to the little 'uns.
I had some r75/5 forks straightened years ago and he said as long as they don't have 'ripples' and are only bent they can do them. Also is the bend within the slide area or higher?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
What about forks from a Jap bike....? Motobins list the stantions but they are expensive and appear unique to the little 'uns.
I had some r75/5 forks straightened years ago and he said as long as they don't have 'ripples' and are only bent they can do them. Also is the bend within the slide area or higher?

It's been a reality check for me. I'm often pretty impatient & race ahead of myself which isn't a bad thing. However I don't want to spend any money unnecesarily on it &, as you originally posted, it could turn out to be a huge waste of money getting it all running then the engine blowing up.

I have borrowed a wheel balancing type setup to check for runout & making sure the wheels aren't rooted.
Then i may take the heads off & see if they're ok.

On my drive this morning I came across a guy taking all the parts off his R100s in order to load it onto a trailer. he was driving down the road & heard a nasty noise from the gearbox. To make matters worse he was flying out of nelson overseas this avo. Anyway I borrowed a ramp & tiedowns from my mate & we got it onto the trailer for him.
That was my random act of kindness for the day.
If I was a bit quicker I should have offered him $500 to take it off his hands for him
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 948
What about those USD forks that you were fitting to Schmidt??
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #27
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
What about those USD forks that you were fitting to Schmidt??
Sold those a while ago.
Well today I went to SCA & bought one of these for $70

I have to say i'm really impressed with its' sturdiness. I was getting a sore back leaning over all the time on my other bench & this one is height adjustable. Solid as a rock, can take 150kgs, can fold up & be wheeled out of the way. I like it.

I took the tyres of berliner & when my DRZ sidestand wasn't grunty enough to break the bead, I stood & looked around. Aha! I thought. I wedged the end of a long 4x2 under the front tyre of my car, slid the wheel in place under the 4x2 with a short block of timber between the 4x2 & tyre bead then pushed down on the 4x2 - worked a treat & didn't require me making anything (bit of a shame I spose)

So anyway I put my wheel holder thing on my new bench & spun the front & back to have a look. The back looks pretty good with just a bit of a wiggle but nothing I'd get worried about. The front however has a buckle over approx 1/4 of the wheel extending out to 7mm at its' furtherest.

Being mags I don't think there may be anything I can do but will research that. I'm sure you must be able to straighten them with a big hammer so will look at youtube.
BTW I saw some amazing methods of dent removal out of tanks with things like heat & sudden sprays of compressed air, also glueing the shaft of a hammer to the dent & pulling it back out. i'll be trying that.

In the meantime I may look at a jappa front end but not buy anything till I have a better look at the engine.

Padmei screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 12:42 AM
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #28
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Are you re-using the triples- or are they bent? I could be persuaded to let a Mono front end go, including the wheel if you were so inclined.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
Padmei OP
enamoured

Been putting off getting down to Ruapuna for a track day for too long!

Ah frick it. I'm gonna put Schmidts front end on Berlina & get it running. I ordered a new Pirelli 21inch front that are apparently really good for road stuff & if Berlinas's not gonna perform I'm taking Schmidt down to Ruapuna for a blast instead.
Ideally I'd like to trailer all 3 bikes down & have a go with all of them to see which one is most fun. Actually it may not take me too long to change the front ends over so could do it in the pits
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

I'm finding Ruby the r65 is a great bike to ride, been using it every day for the last two weeks. Some better shocks and a fork rebuild an it would be fun around Taupo.
I thought Bernina would be easy simple and versatile and a wonderful machine...