Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #31
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I'm finding Ruby the r65 is a great bike to ride, been using it every day for the last two weeks. Some better shocks and a fork rebuild an it would be fun around Taupo.
I thought Bernina would be easy simple and versatile and a wonderful machine...

Oh yes very droll....
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
Padmei OP
enamoured

I watched the video of me starting her again this morning & I feel compelled for better or worse to get her running again.

Introducing Berlina

BMW R65 from Crayfish66 on Vimeo.

I have wrapped up the fork legs & wheel & am on my way to courier them up to the professionals to have a looksie & get an estimate. I like the 'patina' of the the tank so will scrape off the flakey paint & get rid of some of the bumps.

If anyone has a single munted muffler similar to the existing one they want to contribute to the project or sell for next to nothing i would be appreciative. I can buy a proper set later when she's running but want something in the meantime to appease the neighbours. I luckily have a set of downpipes which will get some treatment form the welder.

I know it's been done over & over agin in diff threads but do you reckon I should resurrect the balance pipe that has been piched & welded on the headers or just cut & patch. I like the look of them without the balance pipe.

Edit: BTW Nutso re naming Berlina - there is a local lovely ummm... buxom girl in her late teens called Marlene & it would have caused quite a few raised eyebrows if I had named it after her.

Padmei screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 01:28 PM
Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
BTW Nutso re naming Berlina - there is a local lovely ummm... buxom girl in her late teens called Marlene & it would have caused quite a few raised eyebrows if I had named it after her.
Its just the Holden Berlina word association doesn't really help with credability...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #34
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Its just the Holden Berlina word association doesn't really help with credability...
word associations....

berlina = low rent/budget/poorly made etc etc

marlene = old class

imagine this airbrushed on the tank

tell the locals not to be such smutty small minded indiviuals

however to allow us to make our own judgements could you please post a photo of your local marlene?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #35
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
word associations....

marlene = old class
Harsh.

Actually.

I've reconsidered

Seeing as it's Padmei.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 01:06 AM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #36
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
How about Spandau....thats where the factory is, and Rudolf Hess used to live down the road...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #37
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
How about Spandau....thats where the factory is, and Rudolf Hess used to live down the road...
What about Spandau Ballet - (not the gay band) - the twitching dance of the recently hanged at Spandau prison - could be quite fitting given the likely handling of the shagged suspension and bent forks/frame
Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #38
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #39
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Ah dammit, you just beat me...
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #40
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
?

Oddly enough the bikes that reflect this are the ones i'm drawn to. I lose interest in builds after the flash paintjob goes on & everything looks blingy & new. I guess I'm a tired comfy pair of slippers type of guy. That shouldn't surprise anyone tho

Berlina brings to mind dark, svelte, mysterious, brooding

The new workbench was outstanding today.

Strapped the engine up to it & began dismantling.

I hadn't gone further than this on an airhead before. Bloody hell there are bugger all moving parts in there.

Oh what a heady experience I'm actually going to take a barrel off - why? Well why not I ask?

Damn forgot about the piston falling bit - tip for 2nd side put something soft underneath.

I really should have read the manual first before doing this. i got the circlips out ok however the gudgeon pin didn't want to come out all the way. Even with heat it wasn't moving very easily. I got it this far by tapping very gently from one side. Any great ideas gents?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #41
Padmei OP
enamoured

Diode board has a broken corner which has left a diode unattached - nothing a bit of solder & epoxy won't fix.

For reference

Heads look ok but haven't given them the leak test yet

Doesn't look to me to be any valve recession tho I haven't seen another head to compare it too
The RHS one was very very dark which surprised me - I thought the lefty would be moreso with it sitting on the sidestand.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #42
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
I really should have read the manual first before doing this. i got the circlips out ok however the gudgeon pin didn't want to come out all the way. Even with heat it wasn't moving very easily. I got it this far by tapping very gently from one side. Any great ideas gents?
Yeah...a bamboo wrist pin puller....
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #43
Padmei OP
enamoured

The clutch looked like it had seen a bit of slipping action.

Measuring up & 4.45 in the middle & 4.10 at the edges. Limits are 4.5 I believe & as it is hitting the rivets I will price up a new clutch plate.

A good day. It was very satisfying stripping it down so easily.

Findings:
I can now see where the o rings go under the barrels & my mind is clearer on the procedure for replacement pushrod tubes & seals for Schmidt.
Helicoil on one of the engine studs.
Lots of oil & gunk inside clutch housing so query if rear engine seal is leaking.
I can't see any cross hatching on the barrel so query if it has been honed out by PO.
I will attempt to measure the piston (14mm up from bottom of skirt) & take barrel in to get measured as i believe it needs to be measured half way down the barrel.
From 1981 the clutch plates are the same on the 65 as the rest of the bikes (as far as i can tell from my research) so if needed won't be a problem.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #44
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 817
Good work

To remove the gudgeon pin tap very gently on one side. To be more precise use a dolly (stepped pin) that will fit snugy inside the gudgeon but the od of the pin step needs to be less that the od of the gudgeon. You don't want to bruise the piston boss or the gudgeon bush. Try not to bend the conrod, you would be surprised how easy they bend. The pin is probarbly stuck on the part outside the circlip.

Measuring piston. You will not be able to accurately measure the piston with verniers.Pistons should be measured at 20 degrees c Pistons don't wear much on the skirt anyway. Most of the bore wear will be under the lip of the bore, but with my experience with BMW cylinders they don't wear very much at all.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Good work

To remove the gudgeon pin tap very gently on one side. To be more precise use a dolly (stepped pin) that will fit snugy inside the gudgeon but the od of the pin step needs to be less that the od of the gudgeon. You don't want to bruise the piston boss or the gudgeon bush. Try not to bend the conrod, you would be surprised how easy they bend. The pin is probarbly stuck on the part outside the circlip.

Measuring piston. You will not be able to accurately measure the piston with verniers.Pistons should be measured at 20 degrees c Pistons don't wear much on the skirt anyway. Most of the bore wear will be under the lip of the bore, but with my experience with BMW cylinders they don't wear very much at all.
Thanks Woodman. I have been using a piece of plastic conduit but will grab someone to hold the piston steady.
Do you still have your measuring devices & if so would you mind if i brought it round for you to measure (I can look at your lounge lites at the same time) I prob won't bother taking the pistons off as there doesn't seem to be any reason to unless they're stuffed & i also thought they'd come out easier than this.