User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
DaveinDav OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
engine rattle/oil light problem?

Just as I finished a short ride the other night, I cranked my 950 to head into the garage. For a couple of seconds the oil light flickered and engine had a terffic loud rattling noise like it wasn't getting oil. It lasted for those first couple of seconds of the engine firing--this has happened once another time since--for just a second or two and then the bike sounds normal. Oil levels fine with no leaks. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
DaveinDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
RideMoore
New Adventuer

Oddometer: 5
Pissed

big dog has 5000 miles on his and found out the cam bearings are toast!!!

He had same problem.
RideMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Yes mine lost oil pressure---rattled--now much damage

As "RideMoore" said-----at 5 miles my motor lost power, and squealed like a pig and the oil light was on. It died when I pulled in the clutch and didn't want to restart. It finally started and I road the one mile back to my house with the oil light on and the motor was rattling. When I got to my house the light went off---the motor was as quiet as a mouse and it ran 5,000 flawless miles. But when I went to adjust the valves I think I found what the sqealing noise was---one cam and bearings were very seriously scored. The dealer is doing his best with it and I may get a new motor---who knows what the rod bearings look like. It will at the very least need a new head, cam and cam bearing cap. I have a great dealer---I know they will fix it right. Just a lot of down time--good thing I have my old trusty, never let me down, dependable KLR to get me by.

I think KTM has had some assembley problems.

I've owned 56 motorcycles--this is the very first one to see the inside of a shop----I do all my own work---except replace a motor under warranty
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Make sure you’re checking the oil level at the right engine temp. In my opinion, there is a significant change in the reading between ‘ideal check temp’ and ‘running for awhile temp’. Manual says check at 4 bars after letting it idle for at least a minute. I take this as ‘start with a cold motor’, ‘just let it idle’ and check a minute or so after it hits 4 bars. I know others disagree.

I experienced (non oil level related) warning light flicker on my 03 Silver. The dealer put in w40 during the first service. Changed to a w50 and it went away. (Thanks Wayne)

Brian

JediBri screwed with this post 05-12-2005 at 09:02 PM
JediBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBri
Make sure you’re checking the oil level at the right engine temp. In my opinion, there is a significant change in the reading between ‘ideal check temp’ and ‘running for awhile temp’. Manual says check at 4 bars after letting it idle for at least a minute. I take this as ‘start with a cold motor’, ‘just let it idle’ and check a minute or so after it hits 4 bars. I know others disagree.

I experienced oil light flicker on my 03 Silver. The dealer put in w40 during the first service. Changed to a w50 and it went away. (Thanks Wayne)

Brian
Humm. I can't say that this is the case with KTM engines, but "generally" if you need to increase the viscosity of the engine oil to get proper oil pressure, there is a problem with too much clearance in the engine bearings or some "other" problem with the lube system. NASCAR racing engines use very thin oil 0 - 000 wt and have plenty of oil pressure. I wonder if some of these low oil psi problems folks out there are experiencing might not be caused by a split in the oil pump feed line as related in an early tech bulletin.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Humm. I can't say that this is the case with KTM engines, but "generally" if you need to increase the viscosity of the engine oil to get proper oil pressure, there is a problem with too much clearance in the engine bearings or some "other" problem with the lube system. NASCAR racing engines use very thin oil 0 - 000 wt and have plenty of oil pressure. I wonder if some of these low oil psi problems folks out there are experiencing might not be caused by a split in the oil pump feed line as related in an early tech bulletin.
-cp
KTM recommends a 10w50 oil. My dealer (at the time) put in a 10w40 at the first service. Once I went back to the recommended w50 it was good.