User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Pabigwoods OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Heidenau K60's on F800GS two up

I just installed a set of K60's on my F800GS. About once a weekend I take my significant other for a ride with me. The sticker under the seat says 36 front / 42 rear when riding two-up, and I have been using that with success on my other tires. The sidewall on the Heidenau's says 36 psi max. Will this be good enough in the rear for the extra weight of two-up or should I inflate per the bike recommendations?

I have searched the threads and found plenty of one-up pressure recommendations , but not for riding with two.

Any help appreciated
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
markregier
friend to soil bacteria

Oddometer: 20
Don't worry about it

I have 13,000 miles on a k60. It's still on my bike, but pretty flat on the riding surface. I mounted it up in Phoenix, rode to Costa Rica and back, and then a few trips from my hope in SLC to Moab a few times. Good on the highway, fine in the dirt. I don't think higher pressure is going to hurt that tire. In fact, sometimes I air mine down to do something softer like sand, and I can't even get the sidewall to flex and bulge like a normal tire might. All this is on my honda xr 650 L, by the way. You can always check the temperature after a bit of riding with your lady on board... if it's really hot, air up. Just my 2 cents.
markregier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
I ran the K60s from 34 to 40 psi with the pillion....down as low as 20 off road. The K60 would work significantly better in loose stuff if it was at 20 psi. One of the only tyres I've used where airing down made a "significant" difference. The shoulders give more grip as the tyre bags out.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,164
I would stick with the Heidenaus stated max pressure.
Its there for a reason re tread, profile, construction, bead shape/profile, etc.
They probably know better than you.
Thats like running 89 octane in your 92 octane bike...
Sure it will do it.

Your beemer will handle higher ratings than the Heidenau specs their tire at IMO.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
motoman59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Stay with the recommended PSI max

The 150 K60 scout is a B rated tire. The side wall is stiffer than a Tourance/Anakee/Trailwing type tire. Read the MAX TIRE PRESSURE label on the side of the tire. I have spoken to Heidenau about this and they have warned about possible tire damage due to over inflation. I run mine at 34 rear/30 front for two up and 30rear/28front for solo street riding. Dirt roads/forest roads, I run about 5 to 7 pounds less than solo pressures with good effect. Experiment with them. Some guy on here said how good they were but then realized that he had a flat tire in the rear on a 1200. Don't recommend that. If I was running in sand or mud I would go to 20/17, may be lower. Good luck, don't blow it.
motoman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Pabigwoods OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info motoman. That was just what I was looking for. I am going to give your two-up combination a try. I have to dial in the pressures, but one thing is for sure. The on road / off road performance is awesome. A little vibration, but I think it is worth the trade off. Looking forward to seeing if I get the wear others have reported. Plus, they look cool on the bike.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

ref: READ THE MAX TYRE PRESSURE.

I'll bet you have an ATGATT sticker on your SUV.

34 to 40 psi in the rear, 2 up, 11,000kms and 7mm tread depth left. 20 psi off road.

over inflation be damned.

Never had any trouble with the K60s, but they aren't aggressive enough for me as an all round tyre.

You do as you please, but please don't start lecturing on who you talked to about what. We are relating actual experience.

If you ask the safety Nazis we shouldn't be riding bikes at all. Riding the GS off road is automatically using it outside it's design brief anyway, if you want to get technical.

Will they explode if run at 40psi...in my experience I highly doubt it would ever be a problem over the life time of the tyre. See how that works.....done it....know it....happy with it.

But by all means, you stick with crossing the road only on green walk signals.

To the guy that asked....

They will run at 36psi (max rated) for the life of the tyre without an issue. They are a well made all round performer. Just be aware they seem to start sweating an oily looking residue around the 10,000km mark for reasons I couldn't ascertain. It makes them slippery. I think it's a function of heat.

I eagerly await a response so we can then debate it based on cold and hot tyre pressures. 36 psi cold when run fully loaded becomes what hot when you have an ambient of 35 degrees C?

Hmmmm? Care to guess?

Snowy screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 12:14 AM
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I'm pretty sure mine say max load is 'x' kgs/lbs at 36psi. Not 36psi is the maximum pressure
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah.

Essentially max rated load at X pressure is the norm for marking tyres. The reason being that the difference between cold and hot pressures even for tyres run at the correct pressure for a given load, can be around 4~6psi.

So if you inflate your tyres to 36psi cold and you check them during your trip...for example you air down for the dirt then air back up for a long asphalt section...you should be aware that the tyres that had 36psi cold would probably have had close to 40 when hot. So if you drop them to 20 for a sandy stretch, and then pump them back up to 36, they will actually be UNDER inflated because they are now HOT.

Just something to keep in mind when the safety Nazis start screeching.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
vikingolly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yes

Remember it depends on the tyre temperature.

"There are NO coincidences." (102 year old lady in a church in Scotland)

BMW R1200 GSA 2007 and 2014 GSW (USA), HD Ultra CVO 2013, in Australia
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Yep. Boyles gas law.

Tyres are meant to be checked cold, but changing pressures when hot can skew the results.

I always check what the pressure is BEFORE I drop them to do any off road work...if I drop them at all...and then I reinflate to that pressure when I'm finished.

That means that sometimes, leaving home with 36psi cold translates to putting 40~42 psi into them when hot, after they'd been dropped for off road work.

It can also depend on where you are getting your air from. My little air pump gets quite hot. So it's hot air going into the tyres, versus a service station (Gas station for our Allies) where the air has come from a much cooler compressor tank.

Accurate pressures, and having the right pressures for the conditions and load, are the single biggest contributor to tyre longevity. You may think it's far too scientific and too much fucking around, but if you run 3 dual sports bikes like me, and do about 40~45000kms a year in total, it adds up to a lot of money in tyres. I have over $3000 in old tyres sitting in front of my garage, and that's not all of them from the 2008 until now. I only keep the ones that could be reused in an emergency.

I get excellent tyre life by doing one simple thing. Ignoring everything I've ever read on forums about tyre pressures. Experiment, see the results, make decisions based on actual experience.

Ignore what I do, and start thinking for yourselves. When you have real world results to base your decisions on, then you can make an informed choice.

I quite often overinflate my trail bike tyres because it makes it skittish and hard to find traction. This makes me work harder and think more about line and terrain and how to maximise what there is in traction. Throw a set of full knobbies on at the right pressures and it feels like your invincible on snowy frozen back country trails.

This does have some "man meets ground" moments though. But you learn exponentially from mistakes that hurt, versus mistakes that don't.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Pabigwoods OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Feedback

Now have over a thousand miles on the new Heidi's. Many have been two-up. I have been running between 34-36psi front and rear. Seems to be doing fine. Handles good, doesn't seem to be an excessive heat build-up, and they seem to be wearing like iron. The center on the rear looks like it has hardly even worn.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #13
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabigwoods View Post
Now have over a thousand miles on the new Heidi's. Many have been two-up. I have been running between 34-36psi front and rear. Seems to be doing fine. Handles good, doesn't seem to be an excessive heat build-up, and they seem to be wearing like iron. The center on the rear looks like it has hardly even worn.
With mostly 2-up riding, the K60s I had went 11000kms, they were 13mm deep when new measured at the closest point to centre on the rear. They are now sitting in my used tyre pile with about 6~7mm tread depth left on them. I used a knobbie knife and cut through the centre bar on the back so they had the Chevron pattern of the older type Heidis.

They went off. Like an oily blue sheen on them one morning when I looked at them. Never seen a tyre do it on a non race bike. Slippery as buggery all of a sudden in the rain.

Still worked ok off road with the more open tread pattern. I have a pic somewhere.

I think this 1st shot was about the 9000km mark.

The 2nd shot was after I cut the middle out to make the Chevron pattern of old. Worked well. About 11000kms. Dodgy pic, something wrong with my mobile phone at the time.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
"I used a knobbie knife and cut through the centre bar on the back so they had the Chevron pattern of the older type Heidis."

Can't imagine your insurer likes this idea!

I know this is a little off topic, but isn't there another make of tire with a similar pattern to the older / former style of Heidenau K60 before the Scout was introduced (the style being discussed here)? It's been discussed before, but I can't remember the name!
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurodude View Post
Can't imagine your insurer likes this idea!
Can't imagine why I'd care. If I crash it off road the insurer will disavow any and all knowledge of me any way. Off road is what I bought it for.

Horses for courses. If someone doesn't like an idea...don't do it.

Modifying the tread on a tyre is completely immaterial anyway. I can wear it until it's almost bald and that's ok. But you're saying that making it actually work is a heinous crime?

Unless the tyre actually contributed to an accident, and face it for every expert they find that says it did I can find 2 that say it didn't, I can't see how they can crack the shits about anything. Over here I can be riding drunk, and if I get hit by some idiot that's broken the law they have to pay me out still. Unless they can prove that being drunk contributed to the outcome. I'd still get charged for DUI, but I'd get the insurance.

Opening up the tread pattern will not reduce the ability of the tyre to grip. In any way shape or form. To even suggest it is stupid beyond description.

Would I do it to a new tyre? No. The squirm in the tread blocks would cause it to wear far faster. But once it's worn down to half way there's no harm in it. Legally here I can ride it with only 2mm tread depth. That's far more stupid. Unforgivably stupid. If you bin a bike with tyres that worn you deserve to get whatever shit you get. Your own fault.