User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,052
KLR's, KTM's @ some other bikes on the puppy dog in may

Ive been reading trip reports on the puppy dog route, and Bayley Hazen for quite some time now..and its been 3 years in a row I planned on doing the trip but had to cancel due to family/job and other life commitments.

For those that don't know the Puppy Dog route it is a trail of dirt roads strung together starting in Greenfield MA ending some 350ish miles later near the Canadian border. Almost all of those miles are in Vermont. The Vermont BMW owners club put together the route, and not only do they offer it up as a GPS file for others to save, but they plan a weekend trip for those that want a "guided" tour of the ride.

The Bayley Hazen route is a old Military highway commissioned by George Washington during the Revolutionary war, only to be completed by colonel Moses Hazen in 1779. General Washington halted the roads construction before it entered Canada because of fear the British would use it to attack the small towns of which it went thru. The route connects with the puppy dog way up in Lowell Vermont so it just made sense to put that on the list of roads to ride.
I had a few friends that enjoyed this type of riding and would always say they were in when I picked dates for this ride in the past. However it just never seemed to happen. Over the winter my accountant and riding buddy Wild Bill...

who has sweet little KTM...made plans to do the ride in late May. I told him I would be in but knowing its usually my busiest season for work, and I also coach my youngest daughter's softball team I figured it would take a miracle to get the time to do the ride.

Things started out great this spring, Ive been very busy but also way ahead of schedule, and as luck would have we had no games or practices scheduled for the 4 days that was planned for this trip. I couldn't believe it but this year it was going to happen!

Monday morning Will Bill met with 5 other riders in Hancock NH at a great little restaurant called Fiddleheads. The trip was officially starting at 10 am and heading north thru some back roads of NH. The plan was to camp in Ryegate VT right at the southern start of the Bayley Hazen route. However I had some last work that needed to be done so I wouldn't be leaving until 1 pm on Monday. I would meet up with another good friend and riding buddy Wild Bill Brown (thats him holding the bread)..

at 4pm in Ascutney VT and we would meet up with everyone at the campground.

I finished work a little early and was all set and ready to go by noon, which meant I could take the long way and snag a few tags if possible. Mrs OSJ took the first photo of the trip...its time to
"just ride"

Mrs OSj is the best...not only does she love to ride with me, she also gives me trips like this. She stays home and takes care of the kids while I'm away and never complains. I'm very lucky to have her in my life. Thanks honey!!!
My plan was to head up to Fiddleheads and follow some of Wild Bill's route thru NH, it has some dirt mixed in with some twisty paved roads. However my first official stop was in Lunenburg MA for the MA tag on the NER message board.

which also will ad to my list of town halls in MA, I'm slowly working on a photo from every town/city hall in the state. Once I have them all they will be posted up. I quickly replaced the tag with a location not too far away...

I have two daughter that ride...I'm sure they would love one of these in the front yard!
Not too soon later I found myself in NH and getting hungry. I knew Fiddleheads would be a great place to grab lunch. I pulled up into the parking lot around 1pm. The only other person there was a girl on a Harley. Who was about the rudest person Ive ever met. She was sitting on on the front porch having a cup of coffee and clearly didn't want me to even ask her a question. Shortly after I sat down with my she left, and almost fell over in the gravel parking lot. I thought to myself if she falls I don't know if I would help her pick up the bike. It too bad because she had one wicked nice softail!

I did have one of the best chicken salad sammies Ive ever had...boy was that good!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

After a great lunch I found myself on the first dirt road of the trip.

A few more like this lead me up to Lake Sunapee. Along the way I stopped for a few more photo's one of them was to snag the theme tag (painted cow)

I found myself starting to run a little late. I had set up a spot to meet Bill Brown at 4pm, and my gps was telling me I would get there around 4:20. I had to make up some time, so I stopped the planned route (more dirt roads) and told the gps to get me to Vermont the fastest way

Just as I pulled up to the meeting spot so did Bill. We greeted each other, gassed up than headed north. No stops along the way, we stayed on Rt5 the whole way up. I think it took us just a little over 1 hour to make it to Tickle Naked Road and our campground for the night..

Wild Bill and the others were already set up in the group camping spot. It didn't take long for Bill and I to setup our tents. If you ever go camping with Bill Brown, take some hints..this guy knows how to camp in comfort, his tent is huge with big soft air mattress and a small chair. I on the other side of the coin was sleeping on the ground, but I did bring my favorite 2 leg camping chair ( no pics of it so you gotta check out the link)

Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Now Ive done a lot of moto-camping in my younger days, and Im not ashamed to say Ive been trained very well by Mrs OSJ into the comforts of a nice hotel after a long day on the road. So its been a long time since Ive slept on the ground, a good 20+ years long...

I will say we had a great night sitting around the campfire telling stories of past rides and other adventures. I really enjoy this part of camping...and the meals were not that bad either....some of the guys rode down to the P&H Diner for supper, while Bob, Wild Bill and I stayed back at camp and cooked our own meals.

Here is Wild Bill after he drank a whole bottle of grape juice, does this guy ever smile?

I didn't take any more photo's I was saving my battery on the phone for a light in case I needed to escape to the bath house in the middle of the night. Which I never really needed. I did wake up at 3:30 and thought I heard a large animal breathing heavy outside my tent...it was just my neighbor Bill Brown snoring away enjoying the nice air mattress. Good thing i saved my photo battery because I played angry birds until 5am.

Its about then I got up and fired up the jetboil and made myself a nice big cup of coffee. Again no photo's for some reason, other than these ones...

Now back to cooking for a moment. My kids bought me a Jetboil for fathers day, and I brought along some of that freeze dried meals in a bag for this trip. Plus some starbuck Via

Which is their instant coffee. I was very surprised to find out that stuff is pretty good. Even with some of that non dairy creamer added to it. And the jetboil will boil water in what seems like less than a minute. And boy does it stay hot for a long time.

For dinner the night before I had one of these...

Shepard pie to be exact, and yes I would say it tasted good. Just a little hard eating out of a bag. I wish I had brought a small bowl or plate make it a little better. Wild Bill brought one of those self cooking MRE's and Bob had a couple packs of Ramen Noodles.

Was it better than P&H, maybe not...okay I'm not gonna fool any of you..it was no where near as good as the P&H would have been....but hey I wanted to have the full camping experience on the first night.
I'm glad I did!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Oddometer: 185
Thumb Too many Kows and Beemers

OSJ,

More please!

I can't believe we did the PDR after all these years. What a blast.

3 BMW
3 Kawasaki
1 KTM
1 Suzuki

Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

had lawn work to do yesterday...should get back on it tonite...hopefully finish report by the weekend :)
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Wild Bill's plan for the day was to meet at the P&H for Breakfast at 8am with a KSU by 9. Two of the crew were not camping but staying at a local motel. This worked out good and we got rolling right around 9ish.
But first lets introduce the crew....

Wild Bill on the KTM (our ring leader)

Wild Bill Brown on the BMW GS

John (Bob) Brown on the old BMW GS

Chet on a brand new BMW GS

CJ on a KLX 250

Fred on the ManStrom (DL1000)

Bob on a new KLR 650

Me, AKA OSJ on the old KLR 650
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

All lined up at PH Diner, ready to tackle the Bayley Hazen!

The official road starts right around the corner from breakfast so it was 5 minutes into the ride and we found ourselves on the route. Which started out on pavement but quickly turned to dirt. Not very challenging or twisty up this way, but the scenery was just fantastic. It would take me a full week to do the route we did in 3 days because of stopping for photo's. It was tough riding by all these great shots, but sticking with the group was the plan for now..

Bill would stop the group at certain points to take photo's or to make sure we were all together.

I was pleasantly surprise to see that the GPS was on route and never lost satellite reception on this first day. After one twisty down hill section (my first pucker moment of the trip happened here) Bill Brown pulled up next to me and gave me the best advise of the trip! "your riding the bike like a sport bike, don't lean off into the corner, but lean off just slightly out side, try to lean the bike under you and sit straight up" oh and I also kept thinking about what Wild Bill was telling me earlier..."when in trouble..give it gas!" & "relax your grip on the bike, let the front end move around a bit" Boy was this different than the way I was use to riding.

I was really trying to concentrate on what I was doing, and really trying to take in the sites of the area. It was exhausting! At one point we saw signs telling us the road was close but we went up the hill anyways...about 3 miles later we came to this sign...

I think someone said...I bet a bridge is out...someone else yelled...great our first water crossing

Bill Brown and I waited here...turns out it was too steep for wild bill and the KTM to tackle!

Later on we came across this moument...modeled by John "Bob" Brown...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,115
I did most of the Hazen road one day a few years ago. I pulled out just before the last unimproved dirt climb near the Canadian border just west of Jay's Peak ski hill. I'd like to try it again but include the entire PDR.

Looking forward to seeing your pics of that last climb I missed outside of Montgomery.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,339
Woo Hoo!!

It feels great to see this through one of the other riders' eyes.

Keep it coming, Jim!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Now John (I called him Bob for some reason the first day, and he never corrected me!) is one of those old school riders. He can rip it up with the fast boys if he wants, but he also likes to poke his way thru areas soaking up the local history and enjoying the views. He is retired from the phone company and lives on the cape, but you might just as easily catch him at a small diner in Vermont, or a country kitchen in Down East Maine. I guess he also loves to fly fish so you might just see that old BMW parked next to some stream in NH or CT.

If you happen upon him make sure you stop and say hi. He is one very nice guy! However you can post on line anything you want about him because he is not..how do you say it...tech savvy? He kept asking me if I would put my photo's on that Face thing when I got home. I would say..."nope, because I was posting it while you were asking me that" he would shake his head in disbelief. I'm supposed to send a link to his daughter so she can view this ride report..maybe we can get him signed up on ADV someday??

On day two he was right in front of me and had to keep pulling over to wait for me to snap a photo. I told him I had the route and knew exactly where I was going and he didn't need to stop and wait for me. He told me that was the way he loved to do these types of rides and ofter would come back to get in my photo..

At one point John said we would do well together on a ride...I would have to agree, he is a cool dude!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
Great write up, I stayed and worked in Greenfield, Mass in the 70's for a month, it was great country, looks like you had a great ride there and I am jealous of the turnout you had for the event!

Well done.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
BBQer
Who Me

Oddometer: 781
Dude... you had the wrong bike for that trip.

Sleeping on the ground is no fun, especially as you reach a more experienced age.

(Granted nobody is as experienced as BB )

I try not to do it unless overly "tired" from several strong libations.

Next time you decide to go moto-camping let me know, I got a bunch of stuff to lend, Thermorests, stoves, lanterns, even a super deluxe cot if I'm not using it.
640 Adventure
250 EXC
BBQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Oddometer: 185
Talking KTM Kruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQer View Post
Next time you decide to go moto-camping let me know, I got a bunch of stuff to lend, Thermorests, stoves, lanterns, even a super deluxe cot if I'm not using it.
You got that right! He should have had a KTM.

Don't encourage OSJ. He was eyeing BB's tent with the sofa and indoor plumbing. It just ain't right camping in comfort.

Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
BBQer
Who Me

Oddometer: 781
Mr. Bill, a little encouragement never hurt.
Men of our obvious high station in life deserve some creature comforts.
640 Adventure
250 EXC
BBQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQer View Post

Sleeping on the ground is no fun, especially as you reach a more experienced age.

(Granted nobody is as experienced as BB )

I try not to do it unless overly "tired" from several strong libations.

we started planning this ride back when I had one like that...Not sure if I would have ridden it as hard as the KLR

thanks for the offer, but I dont see myself camping too much in the future Im sticking with Mrs OSJ... hot tubs and soft sheets