ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
LoriKTM OP
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Cry **resolved**HELP! Tiger 800xc wont idle. Tonopah, NV

Here in Tonopah. My 800 xc has been cranky about idling but now won't idle at all. Will start only with throttle open. Let off throttle and dies. Checked connections at battery, etc and cleaned up air filter a bit. No luck. Ideas? Help appreciated. Trying to get back to NM. Hubby's 800xc is running fine. 505-412-oh-six-95.
Lori
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
My guess is throttle position sensor.
May want to find a room for the night...

Hope I'm wrong.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
"cleaned up the air filter a bit"?
Will it run w/o the filter?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
not enough fuel pressure at idle. clogged jet/nozzle. bad fuel?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
LoriKTM OP
Wrecking Ball

Managed to talk to the Sr. Tech at our dealer, and he thought the stepper might not be working well due to grit. Managed to wash the bike off with a hose and it started up fine three times, so we continued on to Rachel, NV. Checked into our room, and came out and the bike wouldn't idle. Bummer. So the plan is to try to run for home and get the bike in the shop. It's due for 12k service anyway.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Managed to talk to the Sr. Tech at our dealer, and he thought the stepper might not be working well due to grit. Managed to wash the bike off with a hose and it started up fine three times, so we continued on to Rachel, NV. Checked into our room, and came out and the bike wouldn't idle. Bummer. So the plan is to try to run for home and get the bike in the shop. It's due for 12k service anyway.
Stepper Motor issue. It sucks because if you take it in and it is idling fine, the shop probably won't warranty it. This happened to me in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale). They suck over here. The dealer, not the bike. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
turn up the idle screw?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
turn up the idle screw?
wish it was that easy

Like refokus said, it's probably your stepper motor. Best advice I've heard for issues out in the field would be to run through the start sequence a few times to "clean" it. Turn ignition "on", let fuel pump prime, turn off - and wait for the "fax machine" sound - repeat. Try that a few times before trying to physically start it again.

I had mine do this the other day - which kind of pissed me off. I think mine was due to a hot start issue, but either way, it shouldn't be doing it. There are a few different scenarios I'm following, regarding the stalling/not starting issues, but yours sounds like the "dirty/dusty stepper motor mechanism" scenario.

I wish there was just an idle screw on this bike...
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I don't know a thing about Triumphs but I had the same issue with a truck a few years ago, it would rev but not idle. Looked at the throttle body, when the butterfly valve was all the way closed at idle, a small electric motor would pull a plug out of a tiny (pencil sized) hole which was the idle air inlet. It was plugged up with oily dust which I was able to rinse out with carb spray cleaner, truck idled fine after the inlet was clean.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
I don't know a thing about Triumphs but I had the same issue with a truck a few years ago, it would rev but not idle. Looked at the throttle body, when the butterfly valve was all the way closed at idle, a small electric motor would pull a plug out of a tiny (pencil sized) hole which was the idle air inlet. It was plugged up with oily dust which I was able to rinse out with carb spray cleaner, truck idled fine after the inlet was clean.
Is this motor associated with the idle actuator control valve?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'm not sure what the actual name of the little thingy is. But if the Triumph is injected, the throttle body might be built the same way. When the throttle is cracked open and the butterfly opens, the motor moves the plug foreward and blocks the idle air inlet. When the butterfly closes, the motor pulls the plug back and opens the idle air inlet.

This was a truck with a 3.9l engine and the idle air inlet was the diameter of a pencil, so the inlet on a motorcycle engine could be miniscule and easily clogged with dust.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

The way I understand the stepper motor to work (haven't seen for myself or read a service manual), is that it's basically just a little servo type motor that will crack the butterflies open to compensate for the correct idle according to the ECU.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
LoriKTM OP
Wrecking Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The way I understand the stepper motor to work (haven't seen for myself or read a service manual), is that it's basically just a little servo type motor that will crack the butterflies open to compensate for the correct idle according to the ECU.
This is the idea I have as well. We got the bike to another car wash today and hosed it down again. Didn't idle, then hosed it once more, then it idled fine for the next 3 starts. Now it appears to be intermittent again-- will idle sometimes on start, other times not. It's ok to ride at higher speeds on the highway, but it gets interesting going through towns and downshifting for turns. But that's adventure riding, eh? I'm just glad I'm able to ride the bike and haven't had to bring it home in a truck. It's going in for 12K service on Thursday, so I'll try to report more when the evaluation is done.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Another thing you could try is the "12 Minute Tune" which I've been reading about. Not sure if it would apply in your situation, but it can't hurt. Although, you're going to need it to start AND idle for it to work - sorry, not funny

Found from another site:

Quote:
The Twelve-Minute Tune resets all the values read by the various sensors, and starts the 'learning' portions of the ECU over with a clean slate.

With the bike stone-cold, start the engine, then touch nothing. You don't want to give it any throttle, brake, clutch, or any other input to the ECU. Just start it and let it idle.

Start your timer when the radiator fan first turns on. Give it the full twelve minutes, then shut the bike off with the key (not the red kill rocker switch).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Lori,
Did you get this fixed? Mine is doing the exact same thing and I'm not thrilled about the 4 hour trip to the dealer. I pulled the tank and hosed the stepper motor linkages with carb cleaner. That worked for a few cycles, but now I'm back to no idle. At times it will idle normal, sometimes about 500 RPM and other times it just dies.
81husky is online now   Reply With Quote