User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 AM   #1
DianneB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Acclimatizing hound to hack?

My hound absolutely LOVED the hack when it was in the shop and claimed it as her space.

When I moved it outside and loaded her up, she was fine until I started the engine (Harley FXD) and then she wanted to get away from it. I don't know if it was the noise or the vibration. Obviously I need to acclimatize her to the running configuration.

I am thinking of leaving the rig running and walk her around it until she settles down with the noise, then trying to encourage her to get in.

Any other suggestions on how to get her comfortable with riding in the hack?
DianneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
If she's food motivated...lot's of treats of course. I saw where someone suggested feeding their dog in the sidecar also. I'm just buying my first sidecar...a Ural and will be riding with my Aussie, I hope. :-) Good luck!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
airheadDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm having the same issue with my dog. She was a rescued stray so she is somewhat timid. After all there are a lot of things out there that can hurt a little puppy. Like your dog Jill was fine with sitting in the sidecar until I started the engine, then she jumped out and was hanging from her harness. I called a dog trainer for advice. He said that the panicked jump from the sidecar ( it was not moving ) was a traumatic experience for her so I was not back to square one, but further back than that. Following the trainer's recommendation I am taking it very slowly starting with getting her back in the sidecar w/motor off. Then having her sit next to the bike with the motor running. Then get in the sidecar with the motor running. Giving her highly desirable treats ( I'm using baked chicken ) We are making slow progress. She now will ride up and down the street in 1st gear at idle for a little bit before getting a little nervous. The important thing is not to rush things. Try to see it from the dogs perspective and take it one step at a time, with lots of praise and treats.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 401
Dianne's hound may be too large to fit a person in with her but if you have room that is something to try until the dog is more comfortable riding.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
cluedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Jake is not motivated much by treats, his favorite thing is frisbees so I made that part of the sidecar training. I had him just get into the sidecar and sit, then
he got out and we played with his frisbee. When he was pretty comfortable with that I had him sit in the car and started the motor, shut it down and played with his frisbee. After he was comfortable with that we went on short rides to a field and played. I just took it slowly and made sure he was comfortable until we went to the next step. I wanted him to enjoy the experience and associate the bike ride with his play time. He really likes to be with me and the sidecar training did not take long.

cluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
szurszewski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Not to be negative, but maybe, just maybe consider that this dog and sidecar riding are not going to go well together. I suppose you could eventually train any dog to tolerate it, but it might not ever be pleasant for the dog.

For instance, I currently have two dogs - one looks like a blue merle version of Jake the Wonderdog (that is, by the way, a fabulous picture!) - you can see her in my avatar with her Doggles. We got her from a rescue when she was about 14 months old, she's crazy and her biggest motivator is going FAST! When we lived up in AK she used to ride on our snowmachines with her back paws on the tank pressed up against me, front paws on the dash, head looking over the windshield. I'm new to this sidecar thing and she's only been on a few rides but took to it right away. She's pretty old now - 13 in a few days - and spends a lot of her time in the sidecar curled up on the seat napping, but when something smells good she perks up and mostly rides with her head around the outboard side of the windshield (she did just figure out that she can put her paws on the dash like the old snowmachine days, but doesn't seem to like that above 30mph).

Our other dog, however, will be perfectly happy if he never has to get in the thing. He's a rescue too and I think came from a pretty bad situation. When we got him, he was basically afraid of EVERYTHING. He's not anymore, but he doesn't like the sound of the bike (or even bicycles), and took a few years to even being happy riding in the car. I have not tried putting him in the sidecar in the garage even, though I suppose someday I will. I don't think though, that I will subject him to rides. I know I could get him to do it with the right combo of treats and short trips to start, but I just don't think he'd like and since I don't HAVE to take him around in it, well, I don't see a reason to subject him to it.

PS - don't forget that bikes can be loud and dogs have pretty darn good hearing (well, not my aussie - she's actually been deaf her whole life); some dogs don't seem to mind the sound of running bike, but maybe yours does. Is the exhaust on the sidecar side?
szurszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
DianneB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I would be VERY surprised if Bella doesn't LOVE the sidecar once she gets used to it. She LIVES to go for a ride with me in the truck, gets all excited when we are going, sits right up tight against me, and watches the scenery go by. If she catches wind of something interesting, she sniffs at the vent. A sidecar should suit her to a T!

She is a rescue dog as well. She isn't food motivated but she LOVES to be with me.

I am going the slow-and-gentle introduction to the noise and vibration
DianneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneB View Post

Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,581
Hey it's the Harley ..she's probably a BMW dog at heart

(appologies for my avatar ladies, no disrespect intended)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneB View Post
I would be VERY surprised if Bella doesn't LOVE the sidecar once she gets used to it. She LIVES to go for a ride with me in the truck, gets all excited when we are going, sits right up tight against me, and watches the scenery go by. If she catches wind of something interesting, she sniffs at the vent. A sidecar should suit her to a T!

She is a rescue dog as well. She isn't food motivated but she LOVES to be with me.

I think you have the right idea for sure DianneB. Maybe if there is a way Bella can watch you through a window of from a distance sitting in the sidecar with the bike running that would help too.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,876
My Kirby took to hacking with no effort at all, but I'll mention that he doesn't like loud noises. Is your bike loud? If yes, maybe if you can find a quieter muffler for it?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #12
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,485
Dogs demand different attention levels from us

I have found different dogs have their own levels of what they tolerate.

If your dog runs from your lawn mower then expect the same from your noisy sidecar. Will your dog ride in the bed of a pick up w/ out jumping out ?

My guys were riding in my lap as puppies when I was cutting the lawn. Now they still want to ride. The Lab has no chance at this now. But he is first in the sidecar. & usually last out.

I have helped a few other dogs get into sidecars by just sitting in the car w/ them in my lap & had the owners push the rig down the drive way. No drama but got peed on once. We have to remember that they resist because of fear not because they are defying us. So try not to take their action in a personal way.
Don't show you are disappointed w/ them...they will pick up on your attitude.

If your dog only wants to lay down when riding that may be a sign that they are still a bit scared but want to please you & so they are going this far. I believe most dogs will sit up & show themselves when they are comfortable.

Your patience will be rewarded by building trust one step at a time.
These steps will vary from dog to dog.
One lady would not stop using her squeaky voice when in the sidecar. The dog was getting all excited & not sit still. The dog took to the doggles right off but started climbing all over the car when the lady started her squeaking praise.

I've found the dogs' level of obedience training has a lot to do w/ the level of success in sidecar riding. But saying that, I'm sure there are some who run near wild who jump right in (the SC) & bark demanding to go somewhere.

Smaller dogs can be carried in a warm towel to feel secure about their initial intro ride. Larger dogs will feel more secure & comfortable in sitting between the owner's legs. Try having the dog's butt on the seat while your knees are apart.
This also gives you a bit more control if Rover wants to go air born.

If you are having full blown resistance, start by you in the car & them laying down next to the rig. Relax for a few minutes. Pet your friend from the car. Later offer a small treat from inside the car but no reward if the dog will not reach for the treat while you are still inside the car. Like I said before, you have steps to work on. But don't be surprised if you find your bud sitting inside on his/her own volition. & then don't go all squeaky voice & jumping up & down but act ''as a matter of fact''.
This is just another form of bonding.
Remember you being relaxed, will not confuse the goal.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #13
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Laugh 2 dogs

I have only had two dogs so far.
Both I got as pups.
Both were carried in my jacket on my motorbike of the time. (smaller dogs)
Both rode the tank of the solo bikes I had and loved to go with me.
The smaller dog once wind surfed of the headlight like the bulldog on a Mack truck.
So start them young for best success. But a pup from my second dog used to get serious motiom sickness within seconds of starting to move in a vehicle.
So there are no garrentees either way.
But it is just the best fun having you mate with you.
My little mate Zac when his centre of gravity was way forward of the headlight wind surfing at 70mph when he looked back at me and I am sure he stuck a thumb in the air to say hey boss this is the best fun ever.
A great moment if a little irresponsible at the time.
brstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

How's it going Dianne? Any luck with your dog in the sidecar?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
kf1128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
just got my 1st hack last week, primarily so i could commute to work with my dog. 1st thing i did was let him see me riding it around, then i let him sit in it while i did some work on the bike, started it a few times while he was in there. then we did a short ride and everytime we stopped i gave him a treat and a scratch on the head, lotsa "good boy's" while we where moving. 1st couple of trips, he was a little tenative, this morning he was happy barking all the way to work! i should mention that it is a 650 vstrom, so it's not too loud.
kf1128 is offline   Reply With Quote