User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Aussie hack coming to the USA

We are contemplating bringing the Motokaf sidecar to the states for a charity ride from NY to LA next september.
Considering it is a right hand drive can anyone advise on what legal issues we may have riding through the various states.
And who we should contact for regulations.
The Motokaf has a gas fired Coffee machine in it. Any strange regs we need to be aware of? It is registered and legal in Oz.
Cheers
Hiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,042
I think as long as you stay away from French Roast you'll be fine...

DaFoole screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 10:05 PM
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho View Post
We are contemplating bringing the Motokaf sidecar to the states for a charity ride from NY to LA next september.
Considering it is a right hand drive can anyone advise on what legal issues we may have riding through the various states.
And who we should contact for regulations.
The Motokaf has a gas fired Coffee machine in it. Any strange regs we need to be aware of? It is registered and legal in Oz.
Cheers
No issues with the coffee machine.

No issues with the sidecar itself in any state. Right hand drive cars are driven here in the U.S., not commonly seen, mind you, but not unheard of.

Passing into on-coming traffic will be interesting, esp. if you get behind a full sized tractor trailer. I suppose you can always put the chair out over into the other lane and then watch the face of you monkey to see if its safe to pass or not!!!

MOST vehicle regs don't vary much (if at all) from state to state. The biggest issue with non-compliance from state to another, all deal with emissions (smog) and that only comes into play when trying to sell or "import" from one state to another.

The only thing I can think of for your trip is to know that most states require helmets for everyone in/on the sidecar rig, some do not.

Good luck trying to contact anyone regarding regulations. You could always use the interweb and search for state specific vehicle codes.

What is the charity ride?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies.
Yes aware of the overtaking issue. But its a coffee machine in the chair so i wont hear it scream.
We all wear helmets in Oz so no issue with that one either.
The charity is the Black Dog Ride. For suicide and depression awareness.
We raised $400K this year riding around Oz. This ride is to raise awareness in the states and monies raised stay in the US for the benefit of you northeners.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Lets see some photos of the coffee machine. I am originally from Seattle after all.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
Hiho OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Gas certification being done.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #7
Hiho OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

On a cold morning during our ride.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I certainly think the rig would be welcome on any road.
I would suggest finding a suitable spot to mount a display rack for the biscotti sales which will be in demand as an adjunct to the coffee.
Another item for consideration should be the addition of a small trailer to haul copious amounts of donuts-always welcome.
What ever you do-good luck -it is for a good cause
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 357
Coffee? You will need to alter your trip plan - need to swing by or come directly to Seattle!

Hope to see you and contribute to a good cause. Best of luck to you!
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
As 'Strong Bad' mentioned, there are right hand drive cars here--in fact, Jeep offers their venerable Wrangler model in right hand drive version here in the US (they did at least, because I saw it on their site about 7 or 8 years ago). The reason is--there are people employed by the US Postal Service as 'rural mail carriers'. They deliver mail to homes in way out places. I am not sure if they are direct employees or contractors, but either way, they drive their own vehicles (and get reimbursed) so having a right-hand drive vehicle makes their job easier (and they have to provide their own vehicle). But, Jeep does not check to make sure those ordering their Jeep equipped in right hand drive are 'authorized' to do so, so some eccentric American or ex-pat from Japan, Australia, UK, NZ, etc. can (or at least could) order a Wrangler so equipped.

By the way, you might want to look at the numerous runs, especially by the Harley-types, to offer your coffee. I live in Yuma, AZ, and through the winter here, and along the Colorado River north of here, there are several 'runs' through the winter, as well as on the Pacific coast in California. The 'gimmick' of coffee via a sidehack would guarantee sales for you. Hope to see you one of the days you are in the US!
Culcune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
since there is no passenger to give ya a thumbs up to overtake..... maybe a little camera mounted outboard on the fender with a small display on the bars. couldn't be that hard to rig up, hate to see a bunch of espresso beans littering the highway.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
Before you ship the bike , try rigging up a convex mirror facing forward in an easy for you to see position. I'd think that would be better than a camera setup. Simple/cheap.
I used to drive a Kiaser -Jeep mail truck in high school. I never had any trouble seeing if it was clear to pass , because the mail truck was dead slow. i never passed anyone.
When I first saw your post , I remembered the sidecar you set up for coffeee mounted to a SR 500 and thought he won't be doing a lot of passing anyhow.
But, you have upgraded in a large way with the Goose ! Good luck and post often.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,953
I love the pic of the cold morning!

Propane gas, right? Are propane fuel tank fittings universal/international?

Living here in Southern California, I could see a lot of use for a rig like this! (If you wanted to get up early and work that hard!)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Feo y Gordo
Now What?

Oddometer: 4,917
What route will you be taking?

Feo y Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feo y Gordo View Post
What route will you be taking?

Probably the wife, isn't the right answer, is it ?