ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Leftka OP
n00b
 
Leftka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Oddometer: 9
Question Car tire for 2012 Indian Chief Vintage

I recent sold my highly modified 2012 Ural Tourist (see Leftka on Soviet Steeds) and purchased a 2012 Indian Chief Vintage. In addition to adding a new Hannigan Indian Heritage sidecar I'm having some other mods done right now. I'm a one armed rider and I'm putting an internal twist throttle on the left and adding a master cylinder on the footbrake for the front wheel.
I've been looking at darkside alternatives for at least the pusher (spoked 16 x 3.5" wheels with 150/80 R16 tires) but can't find anyone who has run car tires on an indian. I have seen some avon 165R16 and a few other classic car tires that may work but interested to hear from this group if anyone has either run a car tire on the 16x3.5 spoked rim or had a rim made by one of the aftermarket guys for an indian.
thanks...
Attached Images
 
Leftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 4,022
3-1/2" is not very wide. But I guess you know that already. Personally, going wider than a 150 on 3-1/2" seems like you're into "test pilot" mode. Also, you have to run a tube in that tire, right? I'll be interested to see if anybody comes up with any suggestions. Personally I think I'd just bite the bullet and find a good long wearing moto tire. But if you really want a square tire, you might have to settle for something in a 5.50/16 from Coker (they have whitewalls!), or else just try that Avon tire. Of course, that Avon tire is tubeless, so the rim and the bead won't be just right, but you can put a tube in it and try it I suppose.

Good luck!
__________________
WUMPA
Sidecardogs.com
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine
 
Carl Childers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 862
Last time I looked into this for my Harley there was no real viable tire for that rim and I didn't want to go the custom wheel route. I was burning up rear tires in 1,500 miles until a member here recommended a Michelin Commander. It's been a great long wearing tire and I'm now starting out season two on the same one. When it does wear out I'll be getting another.
__________________
New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico.
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,066
On a bit different subject, we make a triple tree for this bike to lower the steering effort, this could prove important riding one handed.
You could also consider a gas pedal rather then a twist throttle.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW MN & Flatistan when it snows
Oddometer: 459
How's my hack'd airhead gonna keep up now?

Was on one of your rides last winter with my BMW R65LS with the Motorvation Spyder, was easy keepin' up with your Ural. Now I'm gonna have to get a faster tug!
__________________
blogging @ www.gearheadgrrrl.com
GearHeadGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Bar None
IBM Retired
 
Bar None's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
Was on one of your rides last winter with my BMW R65LS with the Motorvation Spyder, was easy keepin' up with your Ural. Now I'm gonna have to get a faster tug!
GHG,
What happened to you this winter? Missed you.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2015 Ural cT 2001 Kawasaki W650 for sale
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW MN & Flatistan when it snows
Oddometer: 459
Was only in Flatistan for jan and feb...

Weather was too nice up here in MN so I came home first week in march. Next year I'll be down just after xmas and stay through january. Seems most of the fun stuff like Naples Airhead Tech Daze and the Florida BMW Rally are in january, then flatistan gets boring again.
__________________
blogging @ www.gearheadgrrrl.com
GearHeadGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
trumpet
Group W Bench
 
trumpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Last time I looked into this for my Harley there was no real viable tire for that rim and I didn't want to go the custom wheel route. I was burning up rear tires in 1,500 miles until a member here recommended a Michelin Commander. It's been a great long wearing tire and I'm now starting out season two on the same one. When it does wear out I'll be getting another.
That's good to hear, my local recommended the same tire for my HD rig.

What are you seeing for start to finish mileage?
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine
 
Carl Childers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
That's good to hear, my local recommended the same tire for my HD rig.

What are you seeing for start to finish mileage?
I haven't used this one up yet I'd say I got 5K on it now and my hopes are for 7 or 8 thousand but anything beyond this point is gravy compared to the other tires I tried!
__________________
New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico.
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Prmurat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Prmurat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
That's good to hear, my local recommended the same tire for my HD rig.
Is it more square than an Avon Road Runner or Cobra?
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
trumpet
Group W Bench
 
trumpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Is it more square than an Avon Road Runner or Cobra?
It's profile is more sports touring...think Angel GT or ME880. Not square at all.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Leftka OP
n00b
 
Leftka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Oddometer: 9
Anybody running a car tire on an Indian? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Leftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Last time I looked into this for my Harley there was no real viable tire for that rim and I didn't want to go the custom wheel route. I was burning up rear tires in 1,500 miles until a member here recommended a Michelin Commander. It's been a great long wearing tire and I'm now starting out season two on the same one. When it does wear out I'll be getting another.

Good stuff
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #14
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine
 
Carl Childers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftka View Post
Anybody running a car tire on an Indian? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Your era Indian is quite similar to a Harley Davidson, it was built with a lot of HD after market parts, the rims are same as a Harley and there in is where the problem lies, There seems to be no car tire that will fit this rim or a square profile motorcycle tire built specifically to be used as a sidecar pusher for these 16'' rims which is why I suggested the Michelin as it will work for your Indian, although not ideal it is the best I've found.

Contact one of the sidecar builders , wheel vendors,or fabricators who frequent this site and see about having a custom wheel or wheels built for your Chief that will take a narrow profile car tire that will fit the fender and swingarm clearances on your particular motorcycle.. As far as I know this is the best shot you have at getting a car tire on your Indian or me, a car tire on my Harley.
__________________
New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico.

Carl Childers screwed with this post 05-20-2015 at 05:44 AM
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Leftka OP
n00b
 
Leftka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Your era Indian is quite similar to a Harley Davidson, it was built with a lot of HD after market parts, the rims are same as a Harley and there in is where the problem lies, There seems to be no car tire that will fit this rim or a square profile motorcycle tire built specifically to be used as a sidecar pusher for these 16'' rims which is why I suggested the Michelin as it will work for your Indian, although not ideal it is the best I've found.

Contact one of the sidecar builders , wheel vendors,or fabricators who frequent this site and see about having a custom wheel or wheels built for your Chief that will take a narrow profile car tire that will fit the fender and swingarm clearances on your particular motorcycle.. As far as I know this is the best shot you have at getting a car tire on your Indian or me, a car tire on my Harley.
Thanks...talking to freedom sidecars, or at least leaving messages.
Leftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015