Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #1606
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
That makes it an even better situation. A cheap flight up and a beautiful ride back down the coast. Bring a monkey because the car will be on the right side for epic views of the ocean.
That's the whole problem. I have cash for the used one, but not 5-7 days to fly up and have an awesome ride down the coast till march or april. And that's not the best time for riding the OR and n CA coast!

But, to make it even more tempting, Merrill lives an hour from my folks and 2 brothers.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #1607
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
The latest generation of Ural 12v alternators is probably the same as the one from your Suzuki Samurai. It's a Nippon Denso and together with its adapter, it costs about $600.
A lot of people still run the 35Amp grenade with no problem. Others have had the weak shafts break and the cog fall into the gear tower within a few thousand miles.
The first generation alternator was a low output one, but relatively hassle free.
That is stupid money for a part that is so simple.
And 35 amps is good enough, until you add a couple lights or some heated gear.

And I'm among those who don't have a Ural yet, but I have learned a lot about them in this thread.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #1608
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
And 35 amps is good enough, until you add a couple lights or some heated gear.

And I'm among those who don't have a Ural yet, but I have learned a lot about them in this thread.
The first-gen alt was 14 amp. The troubles with the hand-grenade have pushed the price of this once nearly throwaway item to over a hundred bucks.

My new-to-me Wolf has the hand-grenade. I don't plan to mess with it as long as it is functioning. A used engine and a new Denso cost about the same.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #1609
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
A used engine and a new Denso cost about the same.
That's horrible
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #1610
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Hmmm, switch old light bulbs to LED ones and draw less?
Cheaper than replacing the generator/alternator.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1611
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Hmmm, switch old light bulbs to LED ones and draw less?
Cheaper than replacing the generator/alternator.
The point of replacing the 35tA is not to get more power, but to stop it from grenading your engine.

For what it's worth, I ran heated gloves and vest on my 14 amp-powered Tourist every winter without a problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #1612
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
That's the whole problem. I have cash for the used one, but not 5-7 days to fly up and have an awesome ride down the coast till march or april. And that's not the best time for riding the OR and n CA coast!

But, to make it even more tempting, Merrill lives an hour from my folks and 2 brothers.
We did most of the west coast in early April this year. The weather was perfect. I also bought mine before Christmas and waited until it wasn't too cold to ride back home. (NY, see below) If it were me I'd be having some family members pick it up and store it until then.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #1613
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Not as simple as you think, the alternator must be disassembled, and the housing machined to fit the adapter. If they were mass produced that would be on the steep side, but they are a specialty limited production item.

OE BMW alternators cost as much or more, there are more affordable aftermarket options, but I doubt the aftermarket will ever offer them for Urals due to such limited demand.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #1614
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
I don't know about the others, but now that biggziff owns an Ural, he's mellowed some. Probably due to the Ural's amazing restorative properties (smile restoring anyways). If I keep getting all this overtime at my jobs, I'll own one sooner, rather than later. and that's something I will drink to.
Mellow? Me?

It's hard to be mean when you're on a machine that sounds like a thrasher and goes like a 8N!

I do love it though.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #1615
PLANofMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Unlike gspell68, I thought you were pretty cranky after your first post.
But since you say you are serious about getting one, are we talking new or used?
This one just a couple of hours north of you only has 5,000 klicks on it. Merrill is fanatic about taking care of his stuff... http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=4&t=24669
$7k is a fair price for an almost new bike. I've been thinking new myself, but if somebody don't snap this up it's going to be hard for me to resist the temptation, even though it's a thousand miles for me.
I was leaning towards new, but I have noticed that rig and I do like the color scheme and the 3,000 miles on the o.d. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that kind of money at the moment...just paid my property taxes. If by some miracle, it's still available when tax return time rolls around, I'll look into financing the difference.

"I thought you were pretty cranky after your first post."

I'll admit I wasn't exactly the soul of kindness, but I was getting peeved, not because I was being ignored, that I could have handled. But because people were basically telling me that my question wasn't worth answering and/or was irrelevant. Yeah, I overreacted (a little bit) but I've mellowed a bit myself. Life's too short to waste much time on being annoyed at people who are, in all likelihood, living thousands of miles from you, but would give you the shirt off their backs if you showed up at their doorstep needing help.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #1616
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
Life's too short to waste much time on being annoyed at people who are, in all likelihood, living thousands of miles from you, but would give you the shirt off their backs if you showed up at their doorstep needing help.
That's true in general. And I've never seen it more true than with the sidecar community

There's even a great deal of compassion for Bokad
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1617
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
That's true in general. And I've never seen it more true than with the sidecar community

There's even a great deal of compassion for Bokad
Totally.
Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #1618
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
The first-gen alt was 14 amp. The troubles with the hand-grenade have pushed the price of this once nearly throwaway item to over a hundred bucks.

My new-to-me Wolf has the hand-grenade. I don't plan to mess with it as long as it is functioning. A used engine and a new Denso cost about the same.
On the old 650's, it wasn't that big of a deal if the alternator took out the gear tower: all the repair parts cost about $40-$60, it was just the PITA of working on it.
Five years ago, I bought my slightly used 650cc engine for half the price of a Denso alternator!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #1619
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
It's not as simple as you think. It's not necessarily the alternator itself that's so costly. There's an adapter with a cush coupler that cost about $225 if you can find a used one! It's the whole gear driven alternator concept that sux.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #1620
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
On the old 650's, it wasn't that big of a deal if the alternator took out the gear tower: all the repair parts cost about $40-$60, it was just the PITA of working on it.
Five years ago, I bought my slightly used 650cc engine for half the price of a Denso alternator!
Ditto. I used to buy used 650cc engines from Gene for $300 shipped.