Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #1681
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
Well. I own a BMW hex head. And my wife owns a BMW oilhead. Both with the dreaded servo brakes. Great bikes. Servos work fine, bikes stop on a dime.

So, I was thinking about selling hers and getting a Ural. I noticed the prices have risen significantly since I started looking at them. At one point, years ago, I figured I could even throw out the bike and hook the sidecar to something if it was that bad, cause it was so cheap. No more.

Frankly, I have a R1150RS I was going to sell and then after reading this and some research, I decided to hang one off the R and skip the Ural.

But then again, it has the dreaded servo brakes....

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #1682
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Great thread

This was (is) a great thread.

Bokad did do a great job of documenting his issues and those of others.

The thing I find most interesting is that ALL manufacturers have issues. Some things you might expect to have a few issues with, others are just unacceptable. These bikes have a long history of needing care and maintenance. That being said, from what I understand Ural has done a bang up job of improving their quality control to the point that it is rare to have big issues. Notice I said rare. For an old school design it appears they are doing very well indeed.

The one point I think Bokad had a very strong point on was that his rear swingarm should never have had any issues and I agree. That was just poor quality control.

Other than price I would like to own one. I would not be hesitant to get one if the price was in my ball park.

If a person had too many issues with a bike wouldn't a lemon law apply ???
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #1683
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePave View Post
The one point I think Bokad had a very strong point on was that his rear swingarm should never have had any issues and I agree. That was just poor quality control.
I strongly suspect that the OP failed to tighten all the bolts regularly (as described in the manual). As the various bolts loosen up from the vibration, excess strain will be put on the various joints. When something breaks due to lack of maintenance, I'm not so sure that's the manufacturer's fault.

For a different person's viewpoint on Ural reliability, look at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

StoneAge Man
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #1684
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Unreliable?

I must like unreliable bikes. I've got two Triumphs as well as my Ural. My 1956 Thunderbird is a real dog. Ive ridden it from the UK to a Rally in Spain twice, and do you know what, the second time the headlight bulb blew. (only the dip beam)

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #1685
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Back when Urals were cheap, we had a lot of people bring thier bikes into our shop to fix, They would have us just replace one part, The bike. We would install thier sidecar onto a different bike for them in exchange for the bike, We would then install a Sputnik sidecar on the bike and sell it, Top speed picked up about 5 mph with the Sputnik sidecar. Latter we started importing the Ural sidecars by the container load, even had the factory make the frames a bit different for us with an adjustable front lower mount. Often the factory would send us standard Ural frames even when our contract said other wise, this was one of many issues we had with both the Ural company and thier products. Another issue we had over a one week period 4 customers had their sidecar shocks come apart nearly causing crashes. When we spoke with the Ural company, they knew about the problem, had fixed it on the bikes but had not bothered to tell us nor would they do any thing for us other then sell us shocks that were "fixed". So we now we make our own much nicer sidecars and as we are making them from scratch, we can build them the way we want, Much higher quality and even make the frames a bit different for some bikes for a better fit. This is what we for bikes like the BMW R1100GS, R1150GS, R1200GS, V strom 650 and V strom 1000
This is one reason why we can make the sidecars and ship them to people to install rather then needing the bike in our shop.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #1686
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
I strongly suspect that the OP failed to tighten all the bolts regularly (as described in the manual). As the various bolts loosen up from the vibration, excess strain will be put on the various joints. When something breaks due to lack of maintenance, I'm not so sure that's the manufacturer's fault.

For a different person's viewpoint on Ural reliability, look at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

StoneAge Man
You have to love the red cordial people. Even Mr Cob said it was a shit weld, but no, you have to blame the owner for a factory problem. Bokad's wasn't the first weld to fail. It was a shit weld with NO QC. Do you faintly understand NO QC?
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #1687
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post

StoneAge Man
Ha! Funny to see that from a year ago. That was the best month of my life. Some here keep telling me what a piece of shit I bought but I'm still waiting for it to fall apart. 18,000KMs last year without a single issue. Then again, the same poster claims Soviet Steeds is full of racists, sexists and know nothings. A bunch of dumb asses that didn't know flat twin history 30 to 70 years ago so they are unqualified to answer jetting questions of a 2013 Ural. I think some of us are just born much angrier than others.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #1688
PetrB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Oh yes! Ural is really breakable shit!!!

16.000 km on 1992 650cc 8.103-10 - and my clutch cable was broken!! Uh-ah! And once in the winter, the battery was died - I had to go home in tow. This is terrible!!!

But seriously, I really love any our Russian technology for its fantastic durability and maintainability. Russian ones who are afraid of Russian goods, mentioned here somewhere near the top of topic - it's just a crowd of office hamsters from Moscow - "white-ribboners" or "crea-cless" (this is a Russian slang in the literal English translation). I think so.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #1689
oppozit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrB View Post
Oh yes! Ural is really breakable shit!!!

16.000 km on 1992 650cc 8.103-10 - and my clutch cable was broken!! Uh-ah! And once in the winter, the battery was died - I had to go home in tow. This is terrible!!!

But seriously, I really love any our Russian technology for its fantastic durability and maintainability. Russian ones who are afraid of Russian goods, mentioned here somewhere near the top of topic - it's just a crowd of office hamsters from Moscow - "white-ribboners" or "crea-cless" (this is a Russian slang in the literal English translation). I think so.
It's not whether it breaks, it's whether it can be repaired. I can take a Lada 1600 Niva anywhere in Russia, and IF something breaks I can go to almost any zapchasti and get parts. WHEN something breaks on a Ural 650, I can do the same. Can I do the same for a Ural 750 OHV? I think not.

People on this site tend to talk about the overpriced, under-reliable Ural 750 OHV. Do you know of any zapchasti that has parts for this bike in Murmansk or Vladivostok?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #1690
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
It's not whether it breaks, it's whether it can be repaired. I can take a Lada 1600 Niva anywhere in Russia, and IF something breaks I can go to almost any zapchasti and get parts. WHEN something breaks on a Ural 650, I can do the same. Can I do the same for a Ural 750 OHV? I think not.

People on this site tend to talk about the overpriced, under-reliable Ural 750 OHV. Do you know of any zapchasti that has parts for this bike in Murmansk or Vladivostok?
I wonder how many 1200GS parts they have in Murmansk? Triumph or Harley parts? Aw, hell, I'll just take my Husqvarna. I'm sure to find parts for that in Vladivostok.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #1691
oppozit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I wonder how many 1200GS parts they have in Murmansk? Triumph or Harley parts? Aw, hell, I'll just take my Husqvarna. I'm sure to find parts for that in Vladivostok.
Take a WLA and you may be surprised. It was the most common bike in the Red Army during the Great Patriotic War.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #1692
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Take a WLA and you may be surprised. It was the most common bike in the Red Army during the Great Patriotic War.
A weld breaks, you weld it back. Too easy. Cable breaks, easy too. Gasket leaking, now you've got a problem on most bikes. On a Ural though, you pop your heads and replace it without major surgery. Don't have a spare gasket? Yamabond will do the trick. The Ural is hands down the easiest bike to fix on the side of the road that I've ever owned.

You're living in this imaginary land where a failure on a trip means a broken rocker arm or some other engine internal that must require dealer support. That is rarely the case on ANY bike. Of any of the bikes I've ever owned, including the six you see in my sig line, I would choose the Ural to do a RTW trip. No doubt about it.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1693
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Ha! Funny to see that from a year ago. That was the best month of my life. Some here keep telling me what a piece of shit I bought but I'm still waiting for it to fall apart. 18,000KMs last year without a single issue. Then again, the same poster claims Soviet Steeds is full of racists, sexists and know nothings. A bunch of dumb asses that didn't know flat twin history 30 to 70 years ago so they are unqualified to answer jetting questions of a 2013 Ural. I think some of us are just born much angrier than others.
The part about Ural was utterly BS but the part about Soviet Steed is, oh, so true specially about racism, sexism et all the ism you can think about!! Talk about a bunch off angry haters there!!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #1694
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
The part about Ural was utterly BS but the part about Soviet Steed is, oh, so true specially about racism, sexism et all the ism you can think about!! Talk about a bunch off angry haters there!!!
Hmm, I've frequented the virtual watering hole there and honestly never noticed any of that. I guess their soapbox is different. Not interested in finding out. Besides, it's springtime and time to ride and stop dreaming about it online.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #1695
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,743
Avoid the angry haters by staying out of The Soap Box on SS and staying out of The Basement here.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote