Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #226
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

One of the things I have enjoyed about this thread is how many folks made the very FIRST ever post to ADV-Rider and many SS members who posted over here that I have never before seen post on ADV-Rider. I think its a great thread, it shows that even thou we "Uralista's" are a tin foil hat wearing bunch, we are also HONEST about the rig, its capabilities and its liabilities something pretty damned rare nowadays when talking about a large cash investment.
Well said!!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #227
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
Why do so many of you take the OP's opinion so personally? Ride your ride and move along.
He chose to make it personal for me.

I actually agree with a fair bit of what he initially said, but he definitely made a few inaccurate or irrelevant statements and passed off some of his personal opinions as statements of fact which I replied to in a civil manner.

Then he decided to respond to a post where someone quoted me, and he edited the quote to make it a mocking misrepresentation of what I said.

Totally out of line for someone claiming that they just want to be fair, and not start a fight.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #228
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
Why do so many of you take the OP's opinion so personally? Ride your ride and move along. Bokad, thanks for firing up a good thread!
This a trait of the SS list... Did hope it would not pollute here!!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #229
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 370
That's just a dumb comparison. Consumer product to emotional relationship.
Did you buy your lady?

Do I post about a brand of sidecars on a forum dedicated to sidecars. Yuuuup!

By the way, people wearing their 'big boy panties' and that have 'manned up' have already gotten past the stage of personal attacks on internet strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraldog View Post
still waiting for sale info -- just out of curiosity did your wife and or girl friend give you any problems initially and after weeks/months of physical and emotional camaraderie -- if so -- did you find a forum to berate, tear down, and generally inflame her family or did you put on dem big boy panties and man up and either fix what was wrong or find another that would do what you wanted her to do ---------- life's to short for this shit --- BTW -- when you start to age and mature some, you'll find that your own body aint gonna work like you think it should either --- guess who your gonna have to bitch to about that ??

bokad screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 12:30 AM
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #230
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 392
Mr Cob,
You have twice said that Bokad has tried to make his Ural do something which it wasnt designed to do. Can you tell me what a motorcycle with a sidecar,2 wheel drive and reverse gear renowned for being made in a country with possibly the worse weather condition extremes worldwide and commensurate roads actually designed to do then?
while you think about the answer, please bear in mind that the Ural wasnt originally designed for export to the western world and when it was originally imported it was very, very cheap (not so now)

Thanks

Bill.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #231
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Mr Cob,
You have twice said that Bokad has tried to make his Ural do something which it wasnt designed to do. Can you tell me what a motorcycle with a sidecar,2 wheel drive and reverse gear renowned for being made in a country with possibly the worse weather condition extremes worldwide and commensurate roads actually designed to do then?
while you think about the answer, please bear in mind that the Ural wasnt originally designed for export to the western world and when it was originally imported it was very, very cheap (not so now)

Thanks

Bill.
Quote:
Urals have always been known to be shit and they really haven't improved with age. The only people who dont know this are people deluded enough to buy a new one or noobs to chairs.
Why bother asking? you have already declared them to be shit, what do you care what someone who is deluded or a noob thinks?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #232
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
This a trait of the SS list... Did hope it would not pollute here!!!
Please remember the few you had issues with don't speak for all who participate there.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #233
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Mr Cob,
You have twice said that Bokad has tried to make his Ural do something which it wasn't designed to do. Can you tell me what a motorcycle with a sidecar,2 wheel drive and reverse gear renowned for being made in a country with possibly the worse weather condition extremes worldwide and commensurate roads actually designed to do then?
while you think about the answer, please bear in mind that the Ural wasn't originally designed for export to the western world and when it was originally imported it was very, very cheap (not so now)

Thanks

Bill.
The Limey does have a point, they were supposed to be a "military" vehicle!
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #234
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
The Limey does have a point, they were supposed to be a "military" vehicle!
A handful of Uals were sold to Iraq and the UN for military support use, not as tactical vehicles. Their actual intended use was as a civilian utility vehicle for farm and civil service. The "military" theme of some current Ural models is merely a nod to their origin.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #235
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
A handful of Uals were sold to Iraq and the UN for military support use, not as tactical vehicles. Their actual intended use was as a civilian utility vehicle for farm and civil service. The "military" theme of some current Ural models is merely a nod to their origin.
Not quite how IMWA sells it on their website:

2012 Ural Gear-Up Sidecar Motorcycle
Want to stand out in a crowd, and be able to disappear in the woods or desert? Try the 2WD Ural Gear-Up. Just like its cousin, the Patrol—with its on-demand sidecar drive—Gear-Up's origins trace back to the military past of the Ural motorcycle family. The Gear-Up combination is as tough as a Russian AK-47!

Despite its clearly military upbringing, the Gear-Up is equally fit for more peaceful missions, such as fishing or hunting trips. If outdoor adventures are not your forte, you can still amaze your friends with the motorcycle's ability to blaze over outdoor obstacles or urban challenges. Did we mention its irresistible camo paint schemes?

Bokad's bike has proved to NOT be "as tough as a Russian AK-47". A weapon made by Russia's most successful motorcycle and sidecar manufacturer IZH.

Anyway 3,000 Urals sold to Iraq under the U.N. "Food for Oil" programme is hardly a handful. The U.N. Urals were used by the Russian Peacekeepers in Kosovo, they were a handful in number (but apparently not in handling).
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 AM   #236
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,508
shit I go to work and this thread fires up you blokes got way too much time on your hands, punching away at the keyboard all day.

Bokad has merely expressed his opinion on his couple of Urals ( I'll give you 2k each for em ) everyone is entitled to their opinion, I really wanted a Ural, I looked long and hard at them, I couldn't get one to test ride ( I do live in WA ( Australia ) and that stands for "wait awhile ") but in the end settled for my PD, I do love my BM"s though.

After looking at what Mr Cob has done on his and what many others have done, I still have a yearning in the loins for 1, however that may be down the track.

Bokad is entitled to his opinion and as such it is just that, HIS opinion, no use flaming him or multi quoting him, everyone is entitled to their opinion aren't they ( although not normally in Australia.

If you buy a ural it appears that you need to have fairly thick skin, a good sense of humour and a LOT of mechanical ability.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #237
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMKILR View Post
So, the dealer that has a shop about 15 miles from my house doesn't exist? I think all of Ski's customers will be surprised to hear this - not to mention Ski himself! Urals are indeed available in California, and have a fairly decent following. I know when I go on a typical Patriot Guard mission there will be probably anywhere from 1/4 million to a million dollars worth of Harleys in the formation, but it's my Ural, that I paid $6500 for that draws the crowd!
I probably didn't make myself clear there. I was responding to a comment made by someone else that Urals aren't available in all 50 states. I was merely stating that he might be confusing Urals with other vehicles limited by CA's emissions laws. I know they are available there.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #238
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
When was the last time you had two beautiful women ride with you on your motorcycle? Ural is the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #239
Marvin and towser
Plain Mr. Botany (B)

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
The Limey does have a point!
In Limey land and another 75 countries we drive on the left so can't get the 2 wheel drive option for on road use this may make a difference to how these machines are veiwed but we still have 2 or 3 dealers over here I think.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #240
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 912
This horse dead YET?

Only fourteen posts so far today? Let's get some life back in this thread!

I'm going to make ten statements of pure fact. I dare anyone to differ with anything that follows in this post:

1. Urals are overpriced and they break down all the time.
  2. Singles are not suitable for highway use.
  3. People who ride GS's are posers with too much money on their hands.
  4. Harleys are the best bikes, period. Anything else sucks.
  5. Synthetic oils are for pussies.
  6. Touring on anything with less than 650cc is ridiculous and can't be done.
  7. Fat guys and old guys have no business on a motorcycle.
  8. Chicks can't ride.
  9. Motorcycles were way better 30 years ago. Men were men then- guys on new bikes are pussies.
  10. Urals are great value for the money and are rugged and reliable.
#11. Extra credit: "Goodfellas" is better than "The Godfather" by half.

Someone just etch these in stone, willya?

MotoJ screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:40 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote