Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #256
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
So, what in your mind does one have to de to become a expert? I have been riding and working professionally on bikes for over 30 years. I have owned over 60 bikes in that time and ridden hundreds more. I have solved problems that seemed to have been engineered into bikes from the very start and also solved problems made by owners.
I have numerous qualifications from unviersities and from factories as well, includong, but not limited to, Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha,Harley Davisdon,Hesketh and others.

At which point do I become a expert?
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #257
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

One other thing, when I started out in my working life, I was told by a time served mechanic of about 80 years old " A bike is only as good as the last person to have worked on it"
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #258
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Anyone who thinks they know it all still has a lot to learn.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #259
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
bokad,

I keep saying it in an effort to help you unload your RPOC, your NOT happy with it so SELL the damned thing. I have already suggested that you auction it off, some folks have posted that they are serious about buying the bikes so it would seem to me that if YOU are serious about getting rid of them then just DO IT.

I have no financial investment or incentive in the sale of Ural's, your opinion of them in no way impacts on me personally so I could truly care less what you do, I am just trying to help you out. SELL your Ural's use the money to buy something else and be happy, to do anything else is a waste your time. I'll give you this, at least you have some saddle time and have experience on the subject being discussed that's a hell of a lot more then most of the "experts" that have joined this foray into the absurd.

Seriously, ALL bullshite aside, you have made your point and to some degree I agree with you as have other HONEST Uralista's, the Ural is NOT the bike for you so rather then waste time and energy fighting it SELL it, buy something else and continue your journey. It is YOUR responsibility to either sit where you are and rant into cyber-space about your troubles or do what ever is nessisary to get the machine you need or want so that you can continue your trip.

Post your bikes on the "Flea Market" here on ADV-Rider or on the "Black Market" forum over on Soviet Steeds, ask a reasonable price and you will soon be RID of your problems and have cash in your pocket to continue your trip. To do anything less is to of your own free choice sit in your misery rather then continue your trip which most of us can only dream about.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #260
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I'll bow out after this post and we can all get back to our foil hat making or whatever...

(1) Ural has been making the SAME bike for 70 years. You think they would have worked out the bugs by now...

(2) Some people are saying "You should haven't have bought a Ural" or "you should sell your Ural" or "Ural is not right for you".
I agree! And that's exactly the advice I am passing on to other people, 'you shouldn't buy a Ural'. So why do you get so upset?

(3) Lots of Ural people agree the bikes are not reliable and require frequent maintenance, their motto is 'I like how this sucks!'. Why so angry when I say it then?

(4) Hubert, the round the world Ural traveller is a super guy and one of a kind. Literally. No one else wants to travel the world on a Ural. He also says the 2010-ish Ural compares favorable to a 70's or 80's BMW. No doubt. He gets lots of free stuff and support from IMZ/Ural the company. Think that might affect his opinion a bit?

(5) I'm going to sell this POS Ural. So you can stop saying 'you should sell it!'. 10 times was enough.

(6) Some people say "(IMZ/Ural, my dealer, the community) are great people!"
I agree! Their product sucks for the price though. Strange that some peopel can't separate a critique of the product from a critique of the people that work at the company that makes it.

(7) This thread is not called 'complaints about bokad's Ural'. Nor is it called 'you guys who already own Urals should decide to not like them'. It's call 'Why you shouldn't buy a Ural' It's not about my bikes. It's about Urals in general and their systematic low quality.

(8) I say again, Ural's, in general, have systematic low quality.

(9) Many people have private messaged me to express their support and that they wanted to say the same thing but without invoking the wrath of the foil heads. Thanks. I myself wish I had used another alias to post this.

(10) Some people are still clinging on to "but that could happen on any bike". Yep, could, but it happens more often on a Ural. Or do you think that there is no quality difference between brands, that they are all exactly the same?

(11) If you complain about Urals and don't own one the fanboys will say you don't know what you're talking about. If you do own one they say you are just whining about your bike. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

(12) Some people are trying to fault me for not doing proper service. All scheduled service on both my Urals has been done by a Ural dealer.

(13) Some people are upset that I have smeared the fine reputation of Russian manufacturing. None have stepped forward to claim it's not true. It's so backwards to see Americans defending Russian quality! What has the world come to? I'm going to guess that most of the fanboys know exactly 0 about Russia through first hand experience.
I've spent over a year in Russia. I own an apartment there. I have many good Russian friends.
I have a Russian girlfriend. She was the first person to tell me Urals were crap. Her father was the second. He's owned one too. Strange that it doesn't bother the Russians that I know when I say that Russian quality is crap but it seems to upset you guy alot. You want to hear some really creative swearing, ask a Russian what he thinks about the quality of Russian cars or anything else! You want to hear authentic Russian laughter, tell a Russian that you paid $12,000 (that 400,000 rubles!) for a Ural motorcycle. They'll be rolling for hours! You're a sucker. Think you're cool or unique because because you bought an overpriced off the shelf bike that can't even sell in it's own country? Even cooler because you cling to Soviet symbols and words? That's just sad. In America you're cool if you have Ural motorcycle. In Russia you're cool if you don't. Strange world.

(14) Ural has been making the SAME bike for 70 years. You think they would have worked out the bugs by now...

That's all.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #261
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Nope no lies here. When Urals were first imported to the UK I was a mechanic in one of the stockists, they were total rubbish and I was embarressed to admit I worked on them. The Dneprs and Nevals were eaqually as bad. I go back 30 years with these hunks of junk and I shit on your 10 years. I hadnt mentioned CJ's, but I know them to be shit as well.
60 mph on a 650 or 750 and you feel the need to be pleased?? I wouldnt shout too loud. I also own a 1957 500cc Matchless (G80) with a large Watsonian attached and that cruises at a easy 80mph.

I think you need to slow down and put your mind into gear instead of coasting along in neutral.
Excuse me???? Apples to oranges. OHV to flat head
CJ's and Dneprs are crap and have to be be totally rebuilt to be dependable enough to ride. that is not the point.

Was the Matchless designed in 1938? how fast was it designed to go? The BMW R71 was and it was designed to do around 60MPH.
The 750cc CJ is around 24hp at 4200rpm and is the same as the R71.
How heavy is the matchless rig? I am willing to bet a lot less then my CJ
A quick look on line and I see the Matchless is 28hp at 5600RP.
What is the red line for your Matchless? From what I found peak HP RPM is more then then the red line on my CJ.
A mid 50's 500cc BMW OHV [that's right OHV] is around 26hp.

As for new Urals basicly not being better then the 1990's that is a lie!

And I am pleased that my CJ does 60mph. That is what it was designed to do. Actually they where only designed to do 95KPH so I guess it does more.
Besides calling you on a lie I will not comment on your 30 years like you felt the need to do to me.
immulmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #262
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Ok, one last one.

Cob, I didn't realize you were so ignorant of international motorcycle travel. Also you keep repeating yourself.

Here it is for you nice and simple.

You can't just sell a foreign registered vehicle while you are travelling in another country. The bike must be returned to it's country of origin or you lose a sizable deposit ($10k in my case). Furthermore it's about 3 months shipping time to get it back to the USA.

Maybe in your imaginary Ural universe it's possible for me to sell the bike in 6 hours between the last time you suggested it and now, but in my world it's not.

So.... if you would stop repeating the word sell, sell, sell, over and over like somebody's pet parrot I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Oh, and again, this thread isn't about my bike, it's about Ural quality in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
bokad,

I keep saying it in an effort to help you unload your RPOC, your NOT happy with it so SELL the damned thing. I have already suggested that you auction it off, some folks have posted that they are serious about buying the bikes so it would seem to me that if YOU are serious about getting rid of them then just DO IT.

I have no financial investment or incentive in the sale of Ural's, your opinion of them in no way impacts on me personally so I could truly care less what you do, I am just trying to help you out. SELL your Ural's use the money to buy something else and be happy, to do anything else is a waste your time. I'll give you this, at least you have some saddle time and have experience on the subject being discussed that's a hell of a lot more then most of the "experts" that have joined this foray into the absurd.

Seriously, ALL bullshite aside, you have made your point and to some degree I agree with you as have other HONEST Uralista's, the Ural is NOT the bike for you so rather then waste time and energy fighting it SELL it, buy something else and continue your journey. It is YOUR responsibility to either sit where you are and rant into cyber-space about your troubles or do what ever is nessisary to get the machine you need or want so that you can continue your trip.

Post your bikes on the "Flea Market" here on ADV-Rider or on the "Black Market" forum over on Soviet Steeds, ask a reasonable price and you will soon be RID of your problems and have cash in your pocket to continue your trip. To do anything less is to of your own free choice sit in your misery rather then continue your trip which most of us can only dream about.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #263
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Ok, one last one.

Cob, I didn't realize you were so ignorant of international motorcycle travel. Also you keep repeating yourself.

Here it is for you nice and simple.

You can't just sell a foreign registered vehicle while you are travelling in another country. The bike must be returned to it's country of origin or you lose a sizable deposit ($10k in my case). Furthermore it's about 3 months shipping time to get it back to the USA.

Maybe in your imaginary Ural universe it's possible for me to sell the bike in 6 hours between the last time you suggested it and now, but in my world it's not.

So.... if you would stop repeating the word sell, sell, sell, over and over like somebody's pet parrot I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Oh, and again, this thread isn't about my bike, it's about Ural quality in general.
If its not in running condition, PART it out, you have internet access put it up for sale as parts that should get you around the selling of the complete bike deal. By the time you pay to have the rig shipped back to the US could you make any more money on it then parting out where you are, that's a serious question, like I said I am simply trying to HELP you. And YES, as I can't afford international travel, I admit to being unaware of what it may take to sell a complete running vehicle in a foreign country, I NEVER claimed to be an expert on any subject.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #264
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,403
You do realize that you are the typical noob that comes around thinking they have the answer to everything right ? Mr Cob has more miles on a ural than you could ever imagine and knows what he is talking about . If you spent m less time thinking your far more intelligent than everyone and more time listening , you would get further in these conversations . Seems you did no research when buying the rig but have since educated yourself on how to down talk the thing . You have an answer for everything but why you can't fix your ride ... Did you post on other forums about your iPhone and how bad they suck because they can't handle moisture ? If you spent a little effort learning to diagnose and fix the problem and less time bitching you would be a lot further on your journey .
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #265
bokad OP
Difficult Child

I'm always happy to help you learn. And to break my own word of no further participation.

This is how it works. The complete vehicle must be stamped out (by customs) of the country you temporarily imported it to. Further it must be stamped in and inspected when it returns to the origin country. Anything less and you don't get your deposit back. Will you stop repeating the word SELL now? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
If its not in running condition, PART it out, you have internet access put it up for sale as parts that should get you around the selling of the complete bike deal. By the time you pay to have the rig shipped back to the US could you make any more money on it then parting out where you are, that's a serious question, like I said I am simply trying to HELP you. And YES, as I can't afford international travel, I admit to being unaware of what it may take to sell a complete running vehicle in a foreign country, I NEVER claimed to be an expert on any subject.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #266
JerseyBlues
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Geeze, I was hoping you were serious about not posting here anymore bokad...

...seems you were even mistaken about what you yourself said. Man, that's sad.

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"
JerseyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #267
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

If the lauded Mr Cob has done so many miles on Urals, maybe he should try some other bikes to get a fair comparison as should most of the other Uralites.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #268
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
I'm always happy to help you learn. And to break my own word of no further participation.

This is how it works. The complete vehicle must be stamped out (by customs) of the country you temporarily imported it to. Further it must be stamped in and inspected when it returns to the origin country. Anything less and you don't get your deposit back. Will you stop repeating the word SELL now? Please?
Thanks for educating me on this point, like I said I am no expert on anything and am always open to gaining new knowledge on any subject.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #269
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
If the lauded Mr Cob has done so many miles on Urals, maybe he should try some other bikes to get a fair comparison as should most of the other Uralites.
If the highly educated Billtr96sn, were to purse my Smugmug site he might, just might become enlightened to the fact that I have many different bikes in my stable and enjoy the full spectrum of motorcycling. I can't even begin to recall all the types and numbers of bikes I have owned over the years suffice it to say I have been on two wheels and three wheels for over 50 years and thou I am no expert do feel qualified to have an experienced opinion on many different types and brands of bikes.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #270
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Maybe then you are becoming set in your ways.