Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #301
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,010
Looked around for a couple of years and finally came to the conclusion that it was the best bike I could get for the money. So I bought one and have never looked back.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #302
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Didn't look far then did you?
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #303
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I looked far enough.

New Harley and custom built rigs were way out of my price range, same for nice vintage rigs.

The few airhead rigs I found in my price range were tatty worn out things that would have gotten very expensive.

The UJM rigs in my price range were, either big touring rigs, funky home brews or clapped out.

all those legendary "better rigs for the same money" never materialized.

I had no interest in an enduro type rig or getting involved in a long drawn out DIY build. A new Ural was just within my doable budget, was RTR, came with a 2 year warranty, and was spot on in terms of what I was looking for, a utility and off pavement capable rig.

I had looked at them in the 90's and at that time they were too rough for my taste. I was actually convinced by a Harley salesman to take another look at them. He was right, despite the personal opinions of a few, they had improved greatly in dozen years since I last looked at them.

Yes it was behind contemporary standards, but far better than anything else available in my price range that fit my needs. The undeniable fact is that my Ural has been reliable, doing all I want and need as my only form of transportation, I have no regrets, and have no need or desire to get something different.

Thats my reality, and no expert opinion can change it, no matter how often or loudly it is repeated.

I'll never understand why it threatens or angers some folks that there are people who like Urals and have had good experiences with them.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #304
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Urals have always been known to be shit and they really haven't improved with age. The only people who dont know this are people deluded enough to buy a new one or noobs to chairs.
BAM!
You hit the nail on the head.

The new Urals are more reliable but the reliability is not comensurate for what you pay.
I have two very old Dneprs. Urals apparently have the same kinda problems now as they ever did. The difference is price. Before the whiners started crying about reliability, you could buy a brand new 650cc engine AND gearbox for $450 to $500!!! Now, you'll literally have to pay TEN TIMES as much for the new 750cc setup but you don't get ten times the reliability...

gspell68 screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 03:31 AM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #305
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
(1) Ural has been making the SAME bike for 70 years. You think they would have worked out the bugs by now...
Not true!
The old flathead bikes are more fun but not as fast as yours!!!
Good thing for you that you have a new one or you'd be working on it a lot more!!!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #306
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

I'll never understand why it threatens or angers some folks that there are people who like Urals and have had good experiences with them.

The inverse of this seems more true to me. The indignation runs strong in this thread.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #307
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Well, this thread has to be some sort of record breaker. However, it seems to illustrate that all mooching around forums to this extent might mean some folk are losing valuable time riding, repairing, restoring, and simply fiddling as part of actually motorcycling. I thought I did my fair share in cyberspace, but do some of you guys sleep ?

Hope my thoughts are less bitter, biased, and BS. I have the experience of sidecar ownership and riding since 1969, but it is just that, "experience", some good and some bad with all the levels between. I don't profess to be an expert and in this respect I genuinely relish learning something new on a regular basis.

All bikes have faults, and design flaws, the latter sometimes referred to by that wonderful euphemism called "character". The amusing thing is that bikes which generally appear to perform with few problems are labelled as "bland" even "boring". All very curious. I've had my share of "character" bikes that required more than their fair share of attention creating hits on the bank balance and family relationships. It has been difficult when a repeated fault is explained away by, "they all do that", to which the reply has been "Why not get rid of it then !". Oh dear, never mind.

Perhaps nobody likes to admit that a purchase hasn't quite lived up to expectations, or that they bought what for them has proved to be a "lemon". Pride, ego and self esteem can take a hit if the dream turns into something less than fulfilling. Once owned a bike may not suit, or provide what was expected. However, we are all capable of such traits, and perhaps should never claim I'm right, so therefore the other guy must be wrong.

Finally. Bought a new Ural in 1972. Disaster. Bought a pre-owned BMW in 1979. Disaster. Much wiser (?) and older in 2005 bought a pre-owned Ford car. Disaster. Thankfully enjoyed owning some satisfying vehicles over the years.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #308
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post

The new Urals are more reliable but the reliability is not comensurate for what you pay.
I have two very old Dneprs. Urals apparently have the same kinda problems now as they ever did. The difference is price. Before the whiners started crying about reliability, you could buy a brand new 650cc engine AND gearbox for $450 to $500!!! Now, you'll literally have to pay TEN TIMES as much for the new 750cc setup but you don't get ten times the reliability...
And what did you pay for gas these days? What did it cost when those Dneprs were filled up? Funny, I'm not getting 40 times better gas, are you?

-Scott

http://www.scooter-sidecars.com/
smelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #309
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelick View Post
And what did you pay for gas these days? What did it cost when those Dneprs were filled up? Funny, I'm not getting 40 times better gas, are you?

-Scott
I think the same thing every time I buy milk. A scant 15 years ago I was paying 99 cents a gallon. Now it is almost $5. Could it be that even Urals are subject to inflation?

Nah....that's crazy talk.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #310
janner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Folks buy vintage motorcycles because they want something vintage. A good one in working order is going to cost a lot of money. A not so good one may cost initially less but can be a money pit to renovate. Why would anyone want to buy a vintage bike when there are so many new more reliable bikes around? Because they can.

A Ural is a new vintage bike. Its never meant to be modern technology and its likely never going to be as reliable as other new bikes. Ural riders are riding vintage technology, manufacturing and reliability on a new machine. This appeals to so called Ural enthusiasts. It may not appeal to 'you'.

However, on the other hand, if Triumph were to sell new Bonnevilles with factory made hacks I bet there would be a lot of interest. Contempory old style looks with modern engineering and reliability. I would buy one.
janner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #311
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by janner View Post
However, on the other hand, if Triumph were to sell new Bonnevilles with factory made hacks I bet there would be a lot of interest. Contempory old style looks with modern engineering and reliability. I would buy one.
I'm a Triumph enthusiast and would probably buy one too. In fact, I am adding another hack to the fleet, and it is a Bonnie. However, I don't think there would be enough interest to support factory Triumph hacks. Harley even stopped producing them due to lack of interest.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #312
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,970
Why you SHOULD buy a Ural motorcycle

A straight 24 days of riding bliss.
ZERO problems or adjustments needed.
Met more nice people than if we'd used any other machine for the trip. A loaded Ural brought them out of the woodwork.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

By the way, I sold our GL1800 shortly after we got home. The bike was not suited to our current riding but I will say that it was a fine machine.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #313
DneprMT-11
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
I didn't have the time to read the whole thing......but has anyone addressed bokad' s mother yet.......oh, no, thats for the basement. Sorry-out
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #314
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by janner View Post
folks buy vintage motorcycles because they want something vintage. A good one in working order is going to cost a lot of money. A not so good one may cost initially less but can be a money pit to renovate. Why would anyone want to buy a vintage bike when there are so many new more reliable bikes around? Because they can.

A ural is a new vintage bike. Its never meant to be modern technology and its likely never going to be as reliable as other new bikes. Ural riders are riding vintage technology, manufacturing and reliability on a new machine. This appeals to so called ural enthusiasts. It may not appeal to 'you'.

However, on the other hand, if triumph were to sell new bonnevilles with factory made hacks i bet there would be a lot of interest. Contempory old style looks with modern engineering and reliability. I would buy one.
+1
crampfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #315
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
The inverse of this seems more true to me. The indignation runs strong in this thread.
When a detractor crosses the line and calls into question the the veracity, intellengence or judgment of anyone who disagrees with them you should expect indignation. Do you like being called stupid or a liar? If you pick a fight, what do you expect?

This isn't just a Ural thing, just about any thread on ADV about Harleys or BMW's draws out the same type of keyboard hero who feels compelled to make outrageous exaggerations, and cause trouble. At one point it got so out of hand on a Harley thread the mods started threatening the ban hammer.

There are bikes I don't like, or have had bad experiences with, but I don't constantly shit on them and the folks who have other opinions.
I owned a few Harleys, I was really dissatisfied with them on almost all levels, yet I am disgusted by the constant trash talk about them here.

windmill screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 08:32 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote