Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #1006
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
+1 on that!

BTW, I very specifically did not mention my trip in the rant as it isn't really relevant. The roads here are fine and you could have done our trip so far on a scooter, sport bike, or chromed out Harley (met those guys yesterday). Our bike would have had the same problems driving across South Dakota. Our Ural is not exceptional, just average. But there are some Uralistas that continue to insist and tell prospective new owners "No, don't worry, just keep up with the maintenance and you'll be fine, new Ural is reliable, much better than old"
I really have to dis- agree most newer Urals do not have the issues you have had in such a short period of time, so it is not average. Average is a bad brake light switch, bulbs that burn out, rusting on various items, something loose, hack covers bungees breaking, setup not correct, etc. Final drives going, and welds breaking are not the norm. These bikes do have their issues, well documented on many of these forums. You have had a bad experience that is for sure, but the average Ural owner does not. I have owned many bikes, cars, etc. there are lemons in every company's products.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #1007
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmaine View Post
I really have to dis- agree most newer Urals do not have the issues you have had in such a short period of time, so it is not average. Average is a bad brake light switch, bulbs that burn out, rusting on various items, something loose, hack covers bungees breaking, setup not correct, etc. Final drives going, and welds breaking are not the norm. These bikes do have their issues, well documented on many of these forums. You have had a bad experience that is for sure, but the average Ural owner does not. I have owned many bikes, cars, etc. there are lemons in every company's products.
All my Urals were from the bad old CMSI days.

In those days, the Two Bad Things that were likely to happen to you were crankshaft and alternator failures. The rest of the electrical system was generally a pain point as well. Compliance fittings needed to be replaced quarterly. Output shaft seals and bearings would take turns failing. Rust wasn't even considered a defect, more of just the way things were.

But the only welds I've ever had a problem with were with the rear bosses on the gas tank. And all of my final drives were rock solid.

So if these really are problem areas now, they're NEW problem areas. That would be a surprise to me.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1008
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency
Now, I think Im starting to see your issues. Man, I'll be honest, I don't care what kind of bike, we're not talking 2012 technology. If its the bike you had.... I would have fully speced it before your trip. I would have ripped that motor down and blueprinted it, Im doing it right now with my 650 and its costing me a whopping 300 bucks. Then I would have speced the tranny and drive train. I would have re done every bearing myself and checked every weld.

Man, I have a wife and daughter and wouldn't put either of them in for a long trip on any old tech bike until I'd torqued every nut myself. I mean I really am supportive but you shouldnt blame Ural for any of your troubles. Shaking it down means ride it 4000 miles, then disassemble it and look for problems, not assume since i made it 4000 miles it was OK.

You are a victim of unrealistic expectations.

Motorcycles of all brands need speced for adventure trips. My BMW is shaken down. And has a bunch of aftermarket gooies for taking long trips.

No offense, but that sounds completely ridiculous: rebuild a brand new bike after 4000 km, just because? I don't think the OP is unreasonable to assume his brand new Ural should be able to make a longish trip. He's right to be pissed. If my final drive took a dump after a few kilometers I'd be pissed off, too. I wouldn't feel like it was my fault for not doing due diligence and disassembling and "blueprinting" the motor, replacing every bearing and seal, checking every weld, etc. For $15K that whole drive line, as well as everything else, should be perfect and should last half a decade at least. Ural markets them that way.

Not to mention it would void the warranty, which he was lucky to have!
I kinda agree with MotoJ. The reason you pay $15K for a new Ural is so you don't have to do all that crap to a $2K Chang-Jiang!!!
It shouldn't matter if I buy a new Cadillac or new Hyundai. I should be able to drive either one of them off the sales lot and drive it across America. Why should any motorcycle be any different???

Go back and check out post #982. This adventurous couple took a brand new 1980's Dnepr MT-12 flathead on an 11,000 mile trip across the Australian Outback, the steamy jungles of Indo-China, the stop-n-go traffic in the cities of the Indian subcontinent, and up into the mountains of Nepal. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that more than 25 years later a Ural should be able to stand up to a little of that kind of use without a rebuild.

gspell68 screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 07:39 AM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #1009
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I believe my Ural is just average, no more or less problems than usual.
"I believe" is the key in that sentence. While I conceed a new Ural should not have the issues you have, you are spouting your opinion that all or a majority of all new Urals have major issues.

I believe you either didn't research a Ural properly before purchase, your research was incomplete or you dimissed certain findings of your reasearch because you thought the bike is cool. My research indicated a Ural (including a new one) to be WWII technology with SOME areas updated and to anticpate the reliability of such an antiquated product. I compared new and used Urals to bikes of the same era and determined them to be of better quality then those bikes. From my research, I NEVER expected a "turn the key and ride" type of bike or to be near that of a new, or newer mainstream bike. There is always gonna be something to tinker with on a Ural.

The Ural website may make the claim "rugged and reliable". How many other producers of other products make claims that may not be entirely ture?? A whole BOAT load if you ask me and some of it is even backed by factual information.

I make no claims the Ural is the best thing since sliced bread. I do NOT dispute Urals have faults and issues.

Urals are not for everybody.

Quote:
Driving a Ural here is no different than driving it in Kansas.
I'm pretty sure Kansas has overnight shipping.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #1010
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
"I believe" is the key in that sentence. While I conceed a new Ural should not have the issues you have, you are spouting your opinion that all or a majority of all new Urals have major issues.

I believe you either didn't research a Ural properly before purchase, your research was incomplete or you dimissed certain findings of your reasearch because you thought the bike is cool. My research indicated a Ural (including a new one) to be WWII technology with SOME areas updated and to anticpate the reliability of such an antiquated product. I compared new and used Urals to bikes of the same era and determined them to be of better quality then those bikes. From my research, I NEVER expected a "turn the key and ride" type of bike or to be near that of a new, or newer mainstream bike. There is always gonna be something to tinker with on a Ural.

The Ural website may make the claim "rugged and reliable". How many other producers of other products make claims that may not be entirely ture?? A whole BOAT load if you ask me and some of it is even backed by factual information.

I make no claims the Ural is the best thing since sliced bread. I do NOT dispute Urals have faults and issues.

Urals are not for everybody.

I'm pretty sure Kansas has overnight shipping.
Wow, so you don't expect a bike to be "turn the key and ride" for all the dough a new Ural costs? (Not counting valve adjustments and other maintenance.) That the OP would be more satisfied with his purchase if he had been expecting the FD to take a shit and the swingarm to crack, things he might have known if only he had done more research? Is that what "certain findings" would have been turned up?

The Ural Kool-Aid swilling is perplexing to me, and I own one. HDs get the same following. They're both cool marques, but they're not worth the big dollars they command, for whatever my two cents is worth.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #1011
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
It's really amusing how obtuse some folks choose to be, and I'm pleased their opinions don't speak for my reality.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1012
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It's really amusing how obtuse some folks choose to be, and I'm pleased their opinions don't speak for my reality.
Me tuse!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #1013
hogmaine
Adventurer

I keep hearing everyone crapping on the price ( $15,000 is the number being used ) of the Ural side car rig.

A Ural T is $9999 and that should be setup and delivered, if you don't want pay $15,000 don't.
Some one here please tell me where you can find a new side car rig for that price with reverse ($2000 more with 2wd).
Oh wait you cannot, because they do not exist. And if you have one built well that would be another $10,000 on top $9999 with no reverse and most likely a voided warranty by the motorcycle mfg.
So stop BS of price here. If you are going to compare a GS rig to a Ural start quoting out the price difference $15,000 for the GS alone then add side car. You GS guys could tell me if your warranty is still good.
I looked and researched and for what I wanted in the purpose I wanted, the Ural was simply the only affordable solution.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #1014
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 683
So every lots and lots of pages. I have yet to figure out if my Ural is going to explode? I mean if I read half the post they are awesome, if I read the other half they are shitty and suck excluding the post that have derailed about the actual subject on weather or not the bike is in fact a hunk of junk. So when I get home I think I may just ride instead of worry about others.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #1015
hogmaine
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
So every lots and lots of pages. I have yet to figure out if my Ural is going to explode? I mean if I read half the post they are awesome, if I read the other half they are shitty and suck excluding the post that have derailed about the actual subject on weather or not the bike is in fact a hunk of junk. So when I get home I think I may just ride instead of worry about others.
Just ride and have fun
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #1016
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

http://www.uralne.com/2012-ural-patr...white-stripes/

OP's model above, which is what was being referred to, not a stripped down T.

My quibble was about value to price. I suppose price is subjective for everyone, depending on what they want and how deep their pockets are, but I maintain that for $15K or thereabouts, final drive and swing-arm failures are unacceptable. Ural QC should not allow that stuff. But, as has been said before, without warranty claim numbers from IMZ, this thread is really all just opinions, based on anecdotes. Sure are a lot of anecdotes though. I'll wait to buy a new one until there's lots of anecdotes about people and their 75- 100K miles Urals, like so many old airheads.

It's pretty awesome how much loyalty Ural inspires in their customers, with a lot of good reason. There's a whole untapped "lifestyle" market here, I think. Stuffed teddy bears with babuska scarves and buttons that say "I heart my Ural!", baby tees for the ladies, "Three Wheels or Die!" jackets, etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #1017
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
http://www.uralne.com/2012-ural-patr...white-stripes/

OP's model above, which is what was being referred to, not a stripped down T.

My quibble was about value to price. I suppose price is subjective for everyone, depending on what they want and how deep their pockets are, but I maintain that for $15K or thereabouts, final drive and swing-arm failures are unacceptable. Ural QC should not allow that stuff. But, as has been said before, without warranty claim numbers from IMZ, this thread is really all just opinions, based on anecdotes. Sure are a lot of anecdotes though. I'll wait to buy a new one until there's lots of anecdotes about people and their 75- 100K miles Urals, like so many old airheads.

It's pretty awesome how much loyalty Ural inspires in their customers, with a lot of good reason. There's a whole untapped "lifestyle" market here, I think. Stuffed teddy bears with babuska scarves and buttons that say "I heart my Ural!", baby tees for the ladies, "Three Wheels or Die!" jackets, etc.
I sure hope that Urals get the cult "lifestyle" thing going, movie stars are starting to buy them, they are being used in commercials and shows, I say awesome, that fluff and puff bullshit saved HD and if Ural goes the same way, it could mean more profit and even better Urals in the future. Like a lot of guys are saying, $15k is not much for what you get. If something does break on one, the warranty is awesome with excellent customer service. Most of us know what we bought when we bought it, it is the only new bike of this type available on the planet WITH A WARRANTY, period. That's 2 years and unlimited mileage.

The OP has had some issues, the swing arm thing totally sucked, rare as hell according to Cob, but Ural shipped the new arm quick and will pay for the repair bill.

I ride mine everyday, runs great, this bike is more fun than any of the 40 other motorcycles I've owned, that's why they get the loyalty, they are so much fun. Plus I don't stick the water hose into the air cleaner opening when I wash mine.

So hack an old airhead, you'll have no reverse, no 2wd, you aren't going where I am, to me that airhead isn't worth the money it cost to piece it together, not suited for the job..........(I do love old airheads though!)

I don't know where anyone gets the price for a GS at $15k new, go price one at the dealer, with all the kit on one it's up over $20k out the door, then you gotta buy a complete tub set up and have it installed. And no you can't install the side car yourself and save money, then it wouldn't be comparable to a factory assembled new Ural that you buy, turn the key and go.(until the diff blows, ha!) There's some fuzzy math going on around here, $15k is cheap, and if you can't afford it, why are you even commenting. Get on yer $1800 airheads and ride off into the sunset and wait for your diode board to smoke off.....
http://www.evolutioncycles.com/airhead_ideas.htm

And yeah I know airheads are perfect, without problems and a gift to man from a god, sounds dreamy until you go to a forum for them, then they start to look like an rpoc like all the rest:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Then go out to the motorcycle recall site, check the recall numbers for Beemers as compared to the list for the Ural brand. Ya'll want numbers, they are out there. http://www.motorcyclerecall.com/

And I don't drink the kool-aid, I just keep my eyes open when I drop large amounts of cash...........I know what I bought......
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #1018
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Me tuse!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #1019
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
[QUOTE=I don't know where anyone gets the price for a GS at $15k new, go price one at the dealer, with all the kit on one it's up over $20k out the door, then you gotta buy a complete tub set up and have it installed. And no you can't install the side car yourself and save money, then it wouldn't be comparable to a factory assembled new Ural that you buy, turn the key and go.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and after making that statement, you'll be in that Beemer what, $30k?? You still won't have 2WD or reverse. It blows my mind how you guys compare this shit. And will Beemer honor their warranty with a hack on it, especially if you get one of their flaming FDs? I don't know who has the worst new FDs, Beemer or Ural?
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #1020
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
I don't know who has the worst new FDs, Beemer or Ural?
+1

I've had four Urals, and four oilhead BMWs since 1997.

I've been stranded zero times with Urals -- always able to rig it up to make it home. Been stranded on BMW's twice. Fuel pump (@3000 miles) and output shaft splines (@18000 miles).

Now, I'll leave my example at that, rather than try to convince people that this is the "Average" experience for both brands. As always, YMMV.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote