Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #91
Darkblood
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ok. This should be fun. This is my first post on ADV, but since Bokad quoted at least 4 of my posts on Soviet Steeds I feel I need to explain. Yes my bike was down for 2 1/2 months this last winter due to a bearing coming apart in the engine. I also had a foot in a cast at the same time so wasn't going to be riding it anyway.
Has my Ural been featured in "Hammering and Wrenching" a lot. Yup. I also just hit 14,000 km's of Maine roads in just about a year of constant riding, this includes riding in 15" of snow and -20 degrees F.
I've had my experiences, camshaft bearing, thrust bearing, assorted ground wire issues and broken bolts, however if Bokad checked Ural no longer produces it's own bolts and fasteners but farmed that out. They also no longer build their own bearings. The Germans and Scandinavians do that for them, i.e. FAG and SKF bearings. So my issues would be related to quality control of German bearing producers, and Italian bolt and tool manufacturing.
As far a reliable. I go down to my bike every morning, kick it over, do a pre flight check (which I would do on any bike) and ride to where ever I happen to be working that day. The bike then sits in the rain,snow,sun all day never complaining until I go to it to leave for home. I kick it over again and drive home, usually over the posted speed limit on roads that will shake your eye teeth out.
The handle bar switch that broke on my bike is a Domino switch produced in Italy. The ignition is a Ducatti.
Now for some of his other issues about why Ural does something.
The United States has specific rules related to importing vehicles and what they need to comply with.
This includes but is not limited to:
Emissions (this means they set the bike up to run lean) It also means that they would have to install a stupid anti spill nozzle on the "Fluid" canister to allow it to be considered for fuel. If you've ever used one of those nozzles you know that they just don't work. (Knowing this going into the purchase you can fix both issues easily with tuing the engine to run less lean and carry fuel in the canister)
As far a speedometer not working or being off. You've got me on that one since mine has never shaken or been anything but spot on.
Roadside assistance.....Name one Bike that this is included in the warranty.

Now for a spot of reality. My bike has only been to the shop once and it cost me nothing. The engine was torn down to replace the bearing and while there the dealer blacked out the engine and exhaust vastly improving the appearance of the bike, and something I had planned anyway.

Every other issue I've had was solved with a phone call to my dealer and new parts being shipped out to me no questions asked. they didn't even want the old broken parts. (Which is why I take pictures and post on SS since the dealer network actually reads those posts and have been in contact with me via private message.)

I've made calls to the local dealer at odd hours and he has talked me through a procedure. My first valve adjustment was on the side of I-95 with a cell phone to one ear and wrenches in my hands.

Would I buy another Ural. In the blink of the eye I would. Nothing out there is as easy to fix with limited experience and very few tools.

In full disclosure I do rebuild engines in my spare time so am not adverse to tearing a head off and polishing valves but in a complicated world the Urals simplicity of design is a breath of fresh air.

I've kept records of maintenance costs since day one including oil changes and in 14,000 km's or just under 9,000 miles total maintenance costs (Not including adding stuff because I wanted to like racks and extra doo dads) but also including the 4 tires I've worn out comes to the grand total of $683.43. Yup that's tires x4, oil changes x5.6 (including new filters, top hat gaskets and o-ring and Final Drive oil each time), one set of front brake pads, and a light bulb. for 15 months that amounts to $45.56 per month for maintenance. or just about $0.05 per kilometer or $0.08 per mile. Also at the 32 mpg I get at an average cost of $3.78 per gallon this costs me about $0.12 per mile. So the bike is costing me a grand total of $0.20 per mile to operate. If you look at the allowance for vehicle maintenance this is well below what is suggested to put aside to operate (the government of the US allows on average $0.44 per mile. This means that apparently MY Ural is above average when it comes to operation and maintenance and I would bet MY bike has been featured in "Hammerin and Wrenching" probably more than most. Which is probably why I got this PM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
(PMs are private & should not be posted.)

To each his own but for my money I've been extremely happy with my decision to buy the Ural and sell my cage....yup I'm motorcycle only and have been for a year (minus the 2 months I had a cast on my foot)

AceRph screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 08:30 PM Reason: I know you're new. No harm, no foul.
Darkblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #92
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Another comment I just have to make...there are a few of here who definitely cannot get along with each when it comes to politics....but we will fight for our rides!
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #93
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintSix View Post
Things I would buy both reliable and Russian.

Mosin-Nagant rifle.

AK-47

Winter clothing.

Vodka.
What's your beef against Russian caviar?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #94
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
What's your beef against Russian caviar?
Don't forget their pilot ejection systems! Some of the best in the world, right there.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #95
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
gotta be a Troll

I don't believe you have one much less two Urals. I call Bull Sh*t

Some of the trout will rise to your flies but the rest of us fishies will be riding our relatively trouble free Urals in the spring sun.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #96
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,338
If I am processing correctly, I believe the OP is attempting a cost balance; i.e. it costed this much hence it should be this reliable. And with this I do agree to some point.

Do I think they are cool – yes.
Would I like to have one – yes, especially a pumpkin/pink GU!!
Would I buy a new one – no.

Yes, I am mechanical and yes I am familiar with Soviet and Russian things however I have watched Ural price themselves out for me. For a decked out GU, they are approaching 15k; in my opinion too much for what you get. The GU name is a problem as well however that is another topic…

The post M72 "Ural" was developed as a Soviet commercial grade motorcycle to be used by villagers to get from one place to another via unimproved roads where the roads themselves limited speed. I feel normal use in the US is getting close to the upper envelope of the design.
Roads: Heck, the gravel roads around my place are so nice, I was doing 70mph on a one yesterday! Not to mention the slabs… Village roads are not like that in Russia; BTDT.
Weight: The 3-4 Russian villagers crammed onto the Ural weigh less that 2 average Ural riders in the US and maybe 1 with a lot of crap in the trunk (may be a slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

Of course these are my opinions built upon owning several Soviet rigs, riding Urals, having friends with Urals, etc. I guess my point is the modern Ural has a certain design envelope and a certain price tag. Modern use seems to me to be very close the limitation (speed and load); hence issues. There are QC problems. Add that to the price tag and it is just not worth it to me; I get my sidecar fix at a much better cost point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
I completely agree. Don't buy a Ural if your a pussy.
Ha, one of my new favorite quotes
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #97
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 655
Thanks Boked!

I bought my rig used. The PO (previous owner) had some issues with the bike in the fist 80 miles.
The final drive failed and this bike either had a rocker arm fail, or was one of the ones with the bad rockers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=gaelicdog

I knew this guy had this problem with the bike when new, and still bought it after he abused it on the TAT.

However, the PO rode the bike from Atlanta to OK via the trans am trail ( which I am sure was an arduous journey).

I ain't no mechanic, i am a retired zipper suit sungod, but yet, i feel comfortable working on this bike.
She now has reached 17500 klicks, so far with only these additional mechanical failures:

rear brake switch
faulty break light socket on sidecar.

i have abused the bike by riding her in the woods last year deer hunting and carrying the harvest to the deer processors.

I think everyone should beware of the limits of their equipment and the potential for break downs and any critical opinion is appreciated ( as long as it is not mean spirited).

to each his own.
now lets ride
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #98
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
I don't know what you've been riding but on my Honda and Triumph the speedo and odo are pretty accurate. More importantly the needles don't bounces all over the place.

The problem with kick starting the M70 solo isn't the engine but perhaps the way the lever was installed and the amount of travel. Not enough of it. If the dealer can't kick start it then there is a problem.

You probably got the only Honda in the world with an accurate speedo from the factory then. I've never seen one.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #99
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Our free falling dollar has also got something to do with Urals (and almost everything else) being priced higher.

As for this constant talk of wrenching or tinkering, I've had a 650 and now 750 Ural. The only odd job to either was to have the gas tank tab rewelded on the 650. The previous owner had gooped it up but ethanol gas ate through it. Zero issues other than that and one broken spoke that I may have contributed to. V

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #100
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I'll be happy to take your broken Ural off your hands for 1000 bucks.

Seeing how non-user friendly it is, it's probably gonna take someone several years to get it running again, so I think that's a fair price.

2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #101
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Damn, y'all got me wanting to buy a Patrol now. Too broke, but one day, unless they keep going up in price.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #102
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
If I am processing correctly, I believe the OP is attempting a cost balance; i.e. it costed this much hence it should be this reliable. And with this I do agree to some point.

Do I think they are cool – yes.
Would I like to have one – yes, especially a pumpkin/pink GU!!
Would I buy a new one – no.

Yes, I am mechanical and yes I am familiar with Soviet and Russian things however I have watched Ural price themselves out for me. For a decked out GU, they are approaching 15k; in my opinion too much for what you get. The GU name is a problem as well however that is another topic…

The post M72 "Ural" was developed as a Soviet commercial grade motorcycle to be used by villagers to get from one place to another via unimproved roads where the roads themselves limited speed. I feel normal use in the US is getting close to the upper envelope of the design.
Roads: Heck, the gravel roads around my place are so nice, I was doing 70mph on a one yesterday! Not to mention the slabs… Village roads are not like that in Russia; BTDT.
Weight: The 3-4 Russian villagers crammed onto the Ural weigh less that 2 average Ural riders in the US and maybe 1 with a lot of crap in the trunk (may be a slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

Of course these are my opinions built upon owning several Soviet rigs, riding Urals, having friends with Urals, etc. I guess my point is the modern Ural has a certain design envelope and a certain price tag. Modern use seems to me to be very close the limitation (speed and load); hence issues. There are QC problems. Add that to the price tag and it is just not worth it to me; I get my sidecar fix at a much better cost point.

Ha, one of my new favorite quotes
Well if that was the case, that big money equals reliability or low maintenance, buy a Ducati, Jag or a Ferrari and on and on. heheh

I researched getting a GS, then installing a hack, then to get reverse and 2WD, the available German drive set up is the way to go. One thing to do though is price all that together, then labor to build, or build it yourself, guess how much that costs to get the off road functionality of a Ural 2WD? My pockets aren't that deep......

It says right on the Ural website, the hack rigs top speed is 65, I find that mine fully loaded has a happy spot at 63mph Garmin indicated on the freeway. Not bad for what amounts to a WW2 Willys Jeep with a ton of gear in it. You ride the secondary roads and avoid the slab, that's when they are in their element and an awesome way to cruise. If you gotta make time, take the slab machine in the garage. Personally I hate to slab it, but sometimes you have to make time, If a person likes to get to point B as quick as possible on the slab, don't buy a Ural for that!

And that's kinda what this discussion is all about, you buy a Ural for a certain type of riding, ride it like it's designed and within it's parameters, or don't buy one. Would you buy a Hummer to go auto crossing, or a amphibicar to go cross country on Hwy 80? blah blah blah, this is getting old........
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
As the originator of the "It didn't break thread",http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=12&t=21212 I guess I'm glad it's not me. Mine still hasn't broke

Sounds like some rotten luck for you(sorry to hear of YOUR luck). I got nothing to bitch about mine. Mine breaks rear brake springs. Almost nothing else. Since early April 2011, I've logged 36,000KM. I've traveled from Maine to Washington and back, and I've broken basically two springs(broke a bolt on my muffler clamp recently due to my abuse of the rig). I do ride mostly commuting, but do some rough off road when the mood strikes.

I am not a mechanic, nor do I play on on TV. I am a musician/music teacher. I did my research before my purchase, I understood that some maintenance/upkeep is required, but anybody with reasonable intelligence should be able keep one on the road.

I started the "It didn't break thread" because like stated earlier that you mostly hear from the minority, not the people with little to no trouble. Sorry, I feel you are in the minority. This summer is Maine to Mississippi. I'll probably break a brake spring. I'm good at replacing those

-T
Thermos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #104
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
As the originator of the "It didn't break thread",http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=12&t=21212 I guess I'm glad it's not me. Mine still hasn't broke

Sounds like some rotten luck for you(sorry to hear of YOUR luck). I got nothing to bitch about mine. Mine breaks rear brake springs. Almost nothing else. Since early April 2011, I've logged 36,000KM. I've traveled from Maine to Washington and back, and I've broken basically two springs(broke a bolt on my muffler clamp recently due to my abuse of the rig). I do ride mostly commuting, but do some rough off road when the mood strikes.

I am not a mechanic, nor do I play on on TV. I am a musician/music teacher. I did my research before my purchase, I understood that some maintenance/upkeep is required, but anybody with reasonable intelligence should be able keep one on the road.

I started the "It didn't break thread" because like stated earlier that you mostly hear from the minority, not the people with little to no trouble. Sorry, I feel you are in the minority. This summer is Maine to Mississippi. I'll probably break a brake spring. I'm good at replacing those

-T
Funny SS thread!!
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #105
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Sorry to hear that you did not do your research on these two bike before buying them, to me that is what this thread boils down to. You purchased two bikes and expected them to be Honda reliable without verifying that belief against reality.

That being said I think you are stretching things a bit; these bikes are the same as any other in terms of hearing about gripes. Go to any forum dedicated to any machine and you will rarely find threads talking about how reliable their bikes have been, the majority of posters are having problems... The rest of the owners are out riding, and there are many more of them than the ones with problems... There is not a motorcycle manufacturer on the face of the earth that does not have issues with their machines, the difference is in how the dealer/manufacturer handles those problems. There have been number of posters here with examples of large manufacturers handling claims badly and ignoring their customers in favor of the bottom line, IMZ Ural does not have a history of that behavior, exactly the opposite they have a reputation for going above and beyond for their owners.

I will agree with you that potential owners need to go into purchasing one of these wonderful bikes with their eyes open, you need to be capable of listening to your bike and intervening if there is an issue. It is a bonus if you are capable of fixing it yourself, and these machines are exceedingly simple to work on when compared to many other bikes on the market. The other piece of that is the Ural community, I have seen many more examples of owners going out of their way to help out a fellow owner than I have for any other brand of bike I have researched.

I have a 2011 Gear up that I have not exactly been nice to since purchasing it, I ride it hard offroad on almost any chance I get, and have flogged it over the highway to get to some of the locations. I do the routine maintenance on schedule, and most of the service intervals only take me about an hour to complete, this includes adjusting the valves and giving the rig a once over. I have had exactly one failure since I bought it: the flexible coupling in the drive line failed. The dealer had a new part to me within 24 hours at no cost to me and I had the repairs completed within about 2 hours of starting the work.
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote