User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Mini-Adventure - Lytle Creek on my XR650L

Considering I hadn't done much this holiday weekend, I decided I wanted to try to ride my XR from Interstate 15 to Mt. Baldy on dirt roads.

I finally figured out how to get routes I plotted in GoogleMaps into my Garmin GPS. This ride would confirm if I was accomplishing what I thought. These looked like bonafide trails that a pseudo-dirt-bike could handle.

View Larger Map

The Shell station off I15 is convenient. It gave me a chance to top-up. I regularly see dual sport expeditions starting from here, so I know there has to be something.

So I'm off and running, but right from the start I've got a problem. Seems the route I planned on my GPS is "closed." I was met at the gate by an Edison employee that told me the road was washed-out and only employees were allowed. He proceeded to tell me another road I might be able to enjoy.

I hadn't covered much ground yet, but the XR is clearly in its element. If you can keep it pointed the right direction, you can really scoot.

Fun, manageable trails. I got the impression not many people had been here recently.

Totally fun road. I think I managed to get on the "closed" road and was underway on my planned route. I was steadily climbing and temps were cooling down.

Life was abundant. Really, the foliage was so thick, there was nowhere to go, but the trail. I came upon a deer and chased him for a mile or so until he found an alternate route.

Just as things were getting good, to my surprise I stumbled upon the same Edison guy that was a little put-off that I was on the "closed" road. He asked me to turnaround and leave the same way I came in (he'd be behind me somewhere). Considering I entered off the beaten path, I had no intentions of leaving that way. It was actually a bit hairy for me & the BRP.

Ah crap! A flat tire. At least I was prepared. See the stick just off my front fender? that's protruding from my back tire.

Here's a closer look. I've only done 2 rides with this bike and both have had me dealing with flats. Unbelievable. Well at least I lost the Edison guy who wasn't willing to sit around while I performed surgery. He sarcastically wished me luck and drove on.

Back together and breathing a sigh of relief. Looks like I'm going to make it. BTW, it was insect central around here. There were millions of flies buzzing my head while I was trying to handle my roadside repairs. I was just happy to be back online.

Eventually I made it out of there and found pavement around I15 and Summit Ave. Now I just had to ride on the 15 back home. To coin someone else's expression, 'riding the bike on the freeway is like being a lizard on a rock.'

This video is long, but the beginning shows how I hopped onto the trail. It was a bit hairy at first, forcing me to get off and evaluate before proceeding. The consequences for failure could mean plunging to my death. After briefly checking it out, I said "aw what the heck!"

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Having lived in Ontario for 30 years enjoyed your RR. Life is an adventure if you make it so.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
That's one tough piece of wood. Nice ride report. What do you carry for your road side repairs? Thanks.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Great ride, PM sent.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
That's one tough piece of wood. Nice ride report. What do you carry for your road side repairs? Thanks.
Slime electric pump. 2 tire irons and a couple tubes and a crescent wrench. Oh and patch kit in case things go really wrong. I've got some general tools, tape, wire and bolts too, and oil for the long trips. I got a Motion Pro 3rd hand tire iron, but I really don't need it. Most important, the Enduro Stand.

RZ Rob.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
good try & nice RR

I used to do that road alot in my Baja Bug after the big fire (can't remember what year ) its been closed ever since - totally impassable several washed down and out avalanche zones boulder fields and now thick overgrown brush, locked gates on both ends etc.

P.S. I'll see if I can find a good link for a failed mountain bike attemp

Edit : Found it
lots of good pics of the bad spots Here:
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/58128-san-sevaine-strikes-back.html

airborndad screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 10:45 AM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,107
I was up all around there a week ago. I rode some of those trails with the weeds in the middle, not too many visitors this season yet.

Best way to get to the back of Baldy is:

From the Sierra exit on the 15 the smart people get gas at VALERO . Follow the Creek through Scotland, then go through Lytle Creek past Applewhite campground on on up that road. I've never gotten further than the end of that trail at the end of that road.

Mostly if you take any of the trails to the right when you are heading up Lytle Creek you end up over the mountain and on Lone Pine Canyon or down on the railway with that between you and old Route 66.

If you want to have another go I'm up for it. I wouldn't think the Edison employee had the power (pun) to ask you to leave, he's not in charge.

I really don't think you can ride a bike to the Ski Area from there but maybe you can!

Mid-week is best for me, but some occasional weekend could work.

I'm game. Not afraid to 'tresapass' or go down 'private roads' as I have permission , at least that's what I tell anyone I meet.
I didn't find any wash outs on my exploration and I went down some really knarly side roads along power lines.

I only saw four 4X4's (together) all day and a young couple hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I got up to the highest point of entry to the PCT but decided it wasn't 'fair' to try and ride the motorcycle on PCT, I'm not that bad .

Any time you are ready email me through ADV. I live in Claremont

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
German Trick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I really don't think you can ride a bike to the Ski Area from there but maybe you can!
There's a locked gate on the back side of Baldy. I found it open about 20 years ago and got to ride into the ski area. It was kinda fun but I've never seen it open since.
German Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another Go At It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Any time you are ready email me through ADV. I live in Claremont
I was thinking I'd try going generally east from off Sapphire and see what the situation is. I'll hit you up before I go.

RZ Rob
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I was thinking I'd try going generally east from off Sapphire and see what the situation is. I'll hit you up before I go.

RZ Rob
Gated @ Sapphire
Might be able to take an alternate trail to mysteriously end up on the other side
then get further up the canyon to where it forks off

google earth it to look for some possibilities then scout it out on a mountain bike

the left fork goes down the canyon past some really really really nice waterfalls, stream crossings, bad ass fire roads, mountain peaks overlooking San Gabrial Valley, hiking trails etc. and eventually to another gate near the waterfall next to Mt Baldy Village (Can't recall the name of the road)
the right fork goes to Lytle creek but theres a gate just past the fork
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Gated @ Sapphire

the left fork goes down the canyon ...and eventually to another gate...
the right fork goes to Lytle creek but theres a gate just past the fork
GATES SUCK!

RZ Rob
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
and now for something completely different- after seeing your (insert whatever adjective some of your inmate friends choose) face, I think I've ridden with you before. Do you have or used to have a 2 smoke Aprilia???

Maybe this one?????

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
aI think I've ridden with you before. Do you have or used to have a 2 smoke Aprilia???

Maybe this one?????

Too frecking funny. Oh yes I've got an RS 250, but that's my Factory behind the one with the 46 helmet. That's my buddy Daryl next to the guy taking off his helmet. I think I'm right behind the guy with the red hat. My RS is black, which reminds me that it's about time to dust it off. A different kind of fun. Let me know when you're ready to ride, street, dirt or dual sport.

RZ Rob
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
well for sure on the dirt or the dual sport. Only street bike I have now is the HD. I have a street legal Husky but it doesn't like anything on the road over about 50mph. I'm in Brea, and have been wanting to explore that area, so If there is a staging area to park and unload, I'd love to explore that eastern side of Angeles Crest with you guys....
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
RZRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
well for sure on the dirt or the dual sport. Only street bike I have now is the HD. I have a street legal Husky but it doesn't like anything on the road over about 50mph. I'm in Brea, and have been wanting to explore that area, so If there is a staging area to park and unload, I'd love to explore that eastern side of Angeles Crest with you guys....
I'd totally love having a Husky or KTM, but the XR's a competent womper. Yeah I'm right next to Brea. Could probably trailer bikes to somewhere around Hwy2/N4. I've seen DS bikes in that area before while on my Ape.

RZ Rob