Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
seabiker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Anyone tried BMW tourshell vs comfortshell?

I got the comfortshell jacket a few years ago and couldn't afford the pants at the time. Decided to try and get them this year and found they are discontinued for the tourshell. I'm unable to find any comfortshells in my size and so am thinking about this instead. It looks like C-Change has been discontinued and I liked the Comfortshells multiweather/temperature capability. Anybody tried both and able to provide a comparison of them? I've read the reviews but they don't mention how the tourshell performs in comparison to the CS.

thanks
seabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I'm a big fan of the ComfortShell jacket and pants. I was surprised to learn that BMW has discontinued this line, but I just looked on eBay and see what appears to be a pretty comprehensive selection of both pants and jackets. Perhaps your size is available after all.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 627
Not sure if this is in fact the cae, but apparently comfortshell built C change liner is prone to fuel/oil/solvent damage and can delaminate. Someone must decided despite its obvious shortcoming the good old layering system is still most versatile.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,360
IMO opinion the comfortshell pants are not as useful as the jacket. I found the pants quite hot when the sun was hitting them. They need vents.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I came across the tourshell to-day at the shop and was impressed. The first jacket I've tried on for a while that fits. Everything looked right. Level 2 sturdy armour, c change shell. the armour was sitting in the right places. I was told it is the middle ground between the comfort shell and the streetguard. It is relatively cheap (by bmw standards) almost half the price of the streetguard 3 jacket and still less than the comfort shell (no sales here). It has heavier duty armour than the comfort shell, but the tougher shell of the streetguard. All the little velcros at the sleeves and neck fit just right. Lots of vents as well. The liner makes its own cozy little jacket and is thin enough that the jacket fits much the same with the liner out. The colours are only black and dull grey, not exciting. But the fit and feel and look is nice. If it is as water proof as is claimed it is a winner. There was only one left in my size and unless someone quickly talks me out of it, I'll probably pick it up.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
..... c change shell. the armour was sitting in the right places. I was told it is the middle ground between the comfort shell and the streetguard....... It has heavier duty armour than the comfort shell, but the tougher shell of the streetguard. .....
So are you saying the outer material still got the C-change membrane laminated to it? What do you mean it has got tougher amour to Comfortshell - do u mean the fabric or the protectors themselves?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Dominatio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I just got the Tourshell jacket last week.

With the liner in its very comfy and with it out and the vents open I was getting a little cool at 16C on a test ride! So the cooling aspects work for sure - not yet tried its rain capabilities. I did not have the Comfort Shell - and it was discontinued when I tried to get hold of one.

This jacket feels really rugged - compared to my last Hien Gerike Voyager (which is still waterproof at 11 years old), but it also feels significantly heavier. Most of that is the armour I'm sure - and the Tour has a HUGE back protector in it.

I only just started to ride with a back protector last year when I used mesh gear for the first time, and I have a very lightweight and vented protector in there.

The Tour protector is so large it actually catches the back of my helmet when on the bike and because of its weight and non vented style I'm tempted to take it out!

Problem is the protector pocket in the jacket would not hold a smaller protector in the correct place!

So great jacket - not convinced about the armour though.
Dominatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominatio View Post

The Tour protector is so large it actually catches the back of my helmet when on the bike and because of its weight and non vented style I'm tempted to take it out!

Problem is the protector pocket in the jacket would not hold a smaller protector in the correct place!

So great jacket - not convinced about the armour though.
my BMW Atlantis4 had the same issue - to solve it, i took out the back-protector, angle-cut or thin the top of protector a bit (and i also shorten it a bit) where it meets the neck so it conforms better to the back - problem solved!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I've had very good luck trimming the orange armor with just a good pair of scissors.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
seabiker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Thanks for all the replies. I already have the comfortshell jacket and love it. It's light and works really for the pacific northwet where I live. I really kick myself for not getting the pants but didn't realize they would be discontinued. I'm normally a size US 32x32 who has a gotten slightly fat and a US 42 is available on ebay that may work out so I'm going to give it a shot. The Tourshell does not have C-Change and I don't know why BMW discontinued. I haven't had any issues with mine yet....
seabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiker View Post
I don't know why BMW discontinued. I haven't had any issues with mine yet....
My first CS jacket leaked as did my CS pants. I wasn’t crazy about the pants but the fact that the jacket leaked really bummed me out since I hadn’t read about anyone’s CS stuff leaking and loved that jacket. I bought another pant jacket combo in the hopes of finding a substitute for a year round outfit. A bought a Held jacket that is only available in Europe but the advertising was a little misleading and it does not vent as suggested. Still a good jacket that I can wear for about half the year. I don’t like mesh jackets as I feel vented ones with more limited air flow but with plenty of breathability work better in the desert heat. I don’t pretend to know which gear works best in humid areas. Once the CS stuff started appearing on ebay at reduced prices I bargained with one vendor I picked up another CS jacket (this time in red) for a decent price and will take my chances on whether or not it leaks. At least this one I bought new and have a bit of a warranty. To replace the pants I am now wearing Rev’it everest GTX pants. I find these pants be cooler than the CS pants (the tops of my legs would bake in those pants) and cooler than my motoport Kevlar mesh pants – sometimes its better to keep the heat out rather than trying to let any cooler air in, sometimes there isn’t cooler air. The Rev’it pants have a vent and have the heat reflecting material. These pants also come with a liner so for me, these are year round pants. I got a little bit of a price break on the pants but they are still expensive. Still one pair of pants that do it all, for me and, they have the gore-tex guarantee. The build of these pants is similar to BMW stuff and while its not Euro made these pants are not made in china.

For reference the hottest I’ve ridden in the Rev’it pants this year is 102F. For the CS jacket I used it all last summer so temp max near 110F. Once you start to get up in that temp range the negatives of pure mesh gear really start to show IMO and my red jacket does seem a bit cooler than the black one I had.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
So are you saying the outer material still got the C-change membrane laminated to it? What do you mean it has got tougher amour to Comfortshell - do u mean the fabric or the protectors themselves?
ooopss. So Sorry, I misread a review. the Tourshell does NOT have c change membrane. It has BMW’s C.A.R.E. climate membrane. This is the same membrane as the Rallye 3 jacket.
"Windproof, waterproof and breathable, thanks to removable thermal insert with C.A.R.E. Climate membrane"

the outer fabric feels and looks tougher than the comfort shell. The armour feels a bit heavier and covers a bit more area. That's the impression looking at them side by side.

the details:
http://showroom.bmw-motorrad.com/Jac...f_u9i1_azMTBQ=
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
Dominatio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
"Windproof, waterproof and breathable, thanks to removable thermal insert with C.A.R.E. Climate membrane"
That's misleading too in the advert. It's the shell that has the CARE membrane not the liner. The liner is simply a thermal.
Dominatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
ooopss. So Sorry, I misread a review. the Tourshell does NOT have c change membrane. It has BMW’s C.A.R.E. climate membrane

I think if the jacket has good venting from the zippers the c-change is not so important.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
The Tourshell has the same NP armor as the Comfortshell.

No changes there.
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote