Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
When you fill the tank, does the fuel first go to the low sections of the tank ?

If so, how many gallons til you are up in the petcock area ? That way you will know how many gallons need to be in the tank for the carb to get fuel if the vacuum pump or lines ever fail.
Yes the fuel goes to the lowest section first. The reserve depending on the pump is about 3 1/2 gallons. IMS has used this pump in another application for about 7 years with rare issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Thanks for the pics. It's nice to see the before and after shots...

I understand you don't need the crash bars to protect the plastic shrouds, but what happens when you lay the bike down and grind away at the gas tank or drop it onto some sharp rocks? What's the field repair for a full tank that's got a hole?
I don't know if you can patch it if you ground or punched a hole in the tank. The people I know that have had get offs(some serious) with other versions of IMS tanks have never had that issue. IF that ever happens,I'll deal with it then.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #17
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,195
Do they offer a replacement pump or a rebuild kit for it ?
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #18
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Do they offer a replacement pump or a rebuild kit for it ?
Yes, a replacement pump is available. It's a standard Mikuni pump with an adapter to fit the IMS tank. I bought an extra one as a spare and to play with. I want to see if a backup pump could be operated from outside the tank in an emergency. After cutting the tank though I see how easy it would be to just replace the pump. I doubt if there will be any issues with the pump but want to have a backup plan if needed. After doing the cut away though I now have 2 spare pumps so I will sell one. The concept of having a pump in the tank will take some getting used to but it is nice to have the fuel there and not worry about my OEM plastic shrouds.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Yes, a replacement pump is available. It's a standard Mikuni pump with an adapter to fit the IMS tank. I bought an extra one as a spare and to play with. I want to see if a backup pump could be operated from outside the tank in an emergency. After cutting the tank though I see how easy it would be to just replace the pump. I doubt if there will be any issues with the pump but want to have a backup plan if needed. After doing the cut away though I now have 2 spare pumps so I will sell one. The concept of having a pump in the tank will take some getting used to but it is nice to have the fuel there and not worry about my OEM plastic shrouds.
How much are the replacement pumps ? Do you get them from IMS or someone else ?
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
How much are the replacement pumps ? Do you get them from IMS or someone else ?
I got it from IMS. About $33 plus shipping came to around $45. This includes the adapter to fit the IMS tank.

MacG screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 06:10 AM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Thanks for the pics. It's nice to see the before and after shots...

I understand you don't need the crash bars to protect the plastic shrouds, but what happens when you lay the bike down and grind away at the gas tank or drop it onto some sharp rocks? What's the field repair for a full tank that's got a hole?
Those are awesome pics, by the way. Since the dimensions seem so similar to the stock tank + plastic shrouds, it seems like you could still have crash bars with this tank. I wouldn't mind that it's overkill.

I like how the fuel pump lets you use every bit of gas, without having to lean the bike over to get the stuff that stays on the right side of the stock tank.

I was considering rotopax, and how I'd mount them, and security - then I see this. I NEED this, but that's a bit more expensive than rotopax. Then again, this would be like four 1 gallon rotopax, without carrying an extra key to secure your gas, and not buying any additional mounting brackets or locking latches. And not having bright red on my black bike. Does this 10 gallon IMS come in clear, or only black?

The largest tank I've had on a bike was 8 gallons, but it got worse gas mileage than the KLR. Ten gallons would be insane. Dang it, now I have to come up with $550 plus shipping or whatever. This KLR stuff adds up quickly.
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #22
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
Those are awesome pics, by the way. Since the dimensions seem so similar to the stock tank + plastic shrouds, it seems like you could still have crash bars with this tank. I wouldn't mind that it's overkill.

Does this 10 gallon IMS come in clear, or only black?

The largest tank I've had on a bike was 8 gallons, but it got worse gas mileage than the KLR. Ten gallons would be insane. Dang it, now I have to come up with $550 plus shipping or whatever. This KLR stuff adds up quickly.
The bars would probably fit OK. A little more weight but would be great for protection.
It comes in natural as well.
I dealt with IMS directly because of so many questions . I think you can get a 5% ADV discount at JustGasTanks
(check in the vendor discount section) Shipping is included in the price so that brings it to about $522.
So far I'm glad I bought it,the price only hurt once.

MacG screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 07:34 AM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
.. great write up and pics .. now I know what I will be buying ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Great review- thank you MacG!

1. Stock petcock with its two positions, on and reserve?
2. If stock then one could have 2 reserves? Place a shut off valve on the internal pumps external vacume line. Open it when needed to transfer the additional gas?
3. Any idea what the pumps rate is?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad the info is helpful for you folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Great review- thank you MacG!

1. Stock petcock with its two positions, on and reserve?
2. If stock then one could have 2 reserves? Place a shut off valve on the internal pumps external vacume line. Open it when needed to transfer the additional gas?
3. Any idea what the pumps rate is?
1.Yes,stock petcock. I may try a Raptor petcock later(non-vacuum). With the reservoir(dam) setup,the tube on the Raptor will have to be lengthened to a point above the dam to have a reserve. If not it will continue to draw from the internal reservoir until the tank is dry.
2.You could do that and have 2 reserves but reserve #2(petcock on reserve,pump off) would only be about a quart or so(guesstimate on the amount).
3.unsure of the rate but it is a Mikuni DF44-227 if you want to look up the specs. IMS makes the adapter and attaches it to the pump.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

The design makes me wonder how reserve would work, using the stock petcock. If it's drawing up all the fuel from the lower side-wings, by the time the petcock needs to be switched to reserve, wouldn't there only be a very tiny bit of fuel left? Only in that little reservoir area where the dam and petcock live?

I'm wondering if you still use the reserve function, and how many miles have you got, once you switch to reserve?

I know I would still have the same pattern of refueling, no matter how large my tank is. I'm just used to seeing how many miles I can squeeze out, and going to the petrol station the least amount possible.

The idea of only using the lower half of the tank (when not "adventure touring") for saving weight and lower CGI, would mean I would not be able to calculate mileage by resetting the trip meter, and I'd never really know how much gas I had (in the black IMS tank). I'd have to shine a flashlight into the tank, or rock the bike and try to gauge the sloshing sounds.

If they went to the trouble of the fuel pump, they might as well have installed a gas gauge. Or a clear strip up the side (like on some oil bottles) to see the level on the black one.

GSMotorrad screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 03:41 PM
Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
The design makes me wonder how reserve would work, using the stock petcock. If it's drawing up all the fuel from the lower side-wings, by the time the petcock needs to be switched to reserve, wouldn't there only be a very tiny bit of fuel left? Only in that little reservoir area where the dam and petcock live?

I'm wondering if you still use the reserve function, and how many miles have you got, once you switch to reserve?

I know I would still have the same pattern of refueling, no matter how large my tank is. I'm just used to seeing how many miles I can squeeze out, and going to the petrol station the least amount possible.

The idea of only using the lower half of the tank (when not "adventure touring") for saving weight and lower CGI, would mean I would not be able to calculate mileage by resetting the trip meter, and I'd never really know how much gas I had (in the black IMS tank). I'd have to shine a flashlight into the tank, or rock the bike and try to gauge the sloshing sounds.

If they went to the trouble of the fuel pump, they might as well have installed a gas gauge. Or a clear strip up the side (like on some oil bottles) to see the level on the black one.
That is why I showed the pic with the tube in place of the petcock. The top of the petcock tube has to be above the partition in order to utilize a reserve. For all practical purposes the pump could be turned off until the level is below the top of the partition,then the pump is utilized. In post #11 I stated that I went 328 miles to reserve. With the mileage of my bike that should leave about 3 1/2 gallons of usable gas in the reserve.Due to the design of the pump system,nearly all of the gas will be pumped and usable. All of this can vary with fuel,conditions,etc.
Adding fuel gauge,sight glass,etc. would be nice but add more cost to an already expensive tank. Some things ya just have to live with.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #28
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
What makes sense to me is to have the pump isolated/vacuum to it turned off. About 6.5 gallons or the 'reserve' point reached, turn the pump back on to get about 3.5 gallons of reserve -stage 1 reserve. Then when that is out, stage 2 reserve at the petcock which you believe is about 1 quart?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #29
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
What makes sense to me is to have the pump isolated/vacuum to it turned off. About 6.5 gallons or the 'reserve' point reached, turn the pump back on to get about 3.5 gallons of reserve -stage 1 reserve. Then when that is out, stage 2 reserve at the petcock which you believe is about 1 quart?
I think that would work if the main petcock tube was not higher than the partition.Either shorten the OEM tube or run the Raptor petcock.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #30
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

There's a Safari tank, similar to this, that uses a "splash" system, and no pump. The idea is that when you accelerate, the fuel "splashes" back over the dam, to feed the petcock.

Wouldn't this 10 gallon IMS also inherently splash fuel up there during acceleration as well? That might change the ratings of turning off the vacuum pump for a reserve.

How would you turn on/off the pump anyway? And would it kick in fast enough to do it while riding?

Seems like a quart reserve would only get me about 12 - 13 miles. That's kind of a small reserve. I'd almost want to carry another container for more gas, just in case. That would be redundant as all heck, with a ten gallon tank.

I guess one shouldn't need the reserve, when you can carry so much fuel to begin with. I guess that's the only way to look at it.