Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post

Wouldn't this 10 gallon IMS also inherently splash fuel up there during acceleration as well? That might change the ratings of turning off the vacuum pump for a reserve.

How would you turn on/off the pump anyway? And would it kick in fast enough to do it while riding?

1. Difficult splashing if you are running or out of gas I would think.
2. Plenty of valves available at the local hardware store - plumbing section- brass valves of different sizes.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #32
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
There's a Safari tank, similar to this, that uses a "splash" system, and no pump. The idea is that when you accelerate, the fuel "splashes" back over the dam, to feed the petcock.

Wouldn't this 10 gallon IMS also inherently splash fuel up there during acceleration as well? That might change the ratings of turning off the vacuum pump for a reserve.

How would you turn on/off the pump anyway? And would it kick in fast enough to do it while riding?

Seems like a quart reserve would only get me about 12 - 13 miles. That's kind of a small reserve. I'd almost want to carry another container for more gas, just in case. That would be redundant as all heck, with a ten gallon tank.

I guess one shouldn't need the reserve, when you can carry so much fuel to begin with. I guess that's the only way to look at it.
It's my understanding that the Safari tank uses the splash system. I wasn't too thrilled with getting fuel that way. There would be some slosh effect transfer in the IMS tank as well(I don't think a KLR will accelerate fast enough to slosh much gas ).
I'm quite happy with the way it is set up. About 330 miles to reserve means I have about 170 miles to get gas. Regardless of how many reserves are available,you get X amount of miles out of a tank. Stop and re-fuel as needed.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
vtairhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Great writeup, MacG. Thank you! As an aside, can you tell me about the jackstand you have the bike on in the pics? I haven't seen one like that on the market, but sure would like to find one.

Thanks
vtairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #34
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtairhead View Post
Great writeup, MacG. Thank you! As an aside, can you tell me about the jackstand you have the bike on in the pics? I haven't seen one like that on the market, but sure would like to find one.

Thanks
Thanks

The quicklift is homemade. Back in the 70's we made them out of scrap waterpipe or whatever was available. This one is made from 1" square tubing. Simple design but handy if space is an issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
boatmole
Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
simply awesome!

I would reccomend 2 rates up on the fork springs, other than that awesome job and the tank looks great in black, it really does slim it down

cool stuff
On of the problems associated with the KLR front wobble at 74mph is the lack of front end weight with rear loaded panniers, we noted that adding HT PD bars, engine guard, skid plate added weight helped eliminate this. It a weird not a tank slap left/right turn wobble, but like the wheel wonder left to right. You'll note this stops if you lean forward, increase/reduce speed and it's gone. The added initial weight of this full tank may have a positive effect on this.
boatmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #36
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Curious about something...
Looking at the right side of the tank vs it's closeness to the exhaust pipe; is there anything there to protect the tank from the hot pipe in case of a crash on the right side of the bike that could press the tank against the exhaust if it's laying down on its right side?

...and thanks for the cut-away of the tank, as in the future...one of the models I'm looking at uses the same set-up on its aftermarket tank.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post

Before and after pics to give an idea of the look

Thanks for the write up!
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #38
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
10 gallons,wow! It looks like it belongs there on a KLR,hard to believe its a tenner. Ive got the usual 4.9 gallon on my DR and it goes about as far as I want to go.
If you decide to do an ironman 1000 your bike is good to go!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Curious about something...
Looking at the right side of the tank vs it's closeness to the exhaust pipe; is there anything there to protect the tank from the hot pipe in case of a crash on the right side of the bike that could press the tank against the exhaust if it's laying down on its right side?
Sorry to not reply sooner,I've been on a trip with the KLR. For the tank to hit the pipe,it would have to crush the coolant tank for the radiator and bend the tank about 3 inches as well and that would require a direct,very hard hit. I've seen crash bars fail as well so there are no guarantees on anything. I just spent 8 days on the KLR and the tank did a great job. I got into rougher terrain than expected on a couple of occasions and never noticed the weight of the gas to be an issue at all. The bike went down a couple of times and there was zero damage to the tank. It's nice to follow different roads and not worry about finding a gas station very often. Speeds up to 80 MPH and no issues. So far the tank has been a good investment,I don't regret it and would do it again.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #40
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,209
I'm liking mine.

http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #41
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,742
It never occurred to me that those pumps could be submersible. That solves some plumbing issues.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #42
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
The two outlets on the rear of the tank. The one on the right goes to the carburetor vacumn line,the one on the left goes to the gas cap vent outlet
If you still have the capability, could you provide the approximate dimensions of the Mikuni vacuum pump above? Thanks!
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #43
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,209
MacG,
Could you post the part number for the fuel pump ?
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #44
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
If you still have the capability, could you provide the approximate dimensions of the Mikuni vacuum pump above? Thanks!
The pump housing with mounting tabs(not used here) is approx. 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" x 1"

MacG screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 04:15 AM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #45
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
MacG,
Could you post the part number for the fuel pump ?
The pump is a Mikuni DF44-227 with the IMS adapter for the tank attached.
I bought a spare pump with attachment in case I needed it in the future.When my first tank leaked I kept the plumbing and now have that pump as a spare. If anyone is interested in the new spare pump PM me.