User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
bmwmotorbikes4me OP
GS Convert

Oddometer: 16
Question Specs for R1200GS 600-mile Service

I searched the forums, but I didn't find them. If they're out there and someone can point me to them that would be great.

I plan to do most of the 600-mile service on my new R1200GS this weekend. I picked up the Maintenance Schedule sheet from the dealer. While I asked for the specs, and they were given to me by the tech, they were recited from the tech's memory, and the tech for some reason didn't seem happy about the fact that I planned to do some of the work myself. Maybe he was just ready to go late on a Friday, but I've gotten this strange vibe from the service people before whenever I ask about performing maintenance myself.

Soooo, what I'm after is if anyone out there (maybe someone with the R1200GS service manual, which I have on order but hasn't arrived, or a friendly BMW mechanic who's willing to share) has the following info, I'd be very appreciative.

The following are the items on the 600-mile check, whether I plan on doing it myself or have the dealer do it, and what specs I need:
  • Change Oil; I'll do it
  • Tighten Cylinder Head; I'll do it; need torque spec (tech: 20nM, then turn 180 degrees)
  • Check Valve Clearance; I'll do it; need clearance parameters (tech: intake: .15mm; exhaust: .30mm)
  • Check Secondary Spark Plugs; I'll do it; need gap spec (tech made it sound like this was an extra set of plugs; I would think it's the secondary ignition plugs; and so I was wondering what the gap was supposed to be)
  • Check Brake Fluid Levels, Front and Back; I'll do it
  • Check Throttle Cable for Smoothness; I'll do it
  • Check Tire Inflation and Tread Depth; I do this before and after I ride every day
  • Check Tension of Spokes; I'll do this
  • Check Lighting and Signal System; I'll do this (I assume this is just checking all the lights; I do this every day too)
  • Conduct Operating Check of Engine Starting Interlock; I may do this if all it is is check to make sure the engine won't turn over when the kickstand is down or the clutch is not engaged and the bike's in gear (anyone know what this is supposed to be for sure?)
  • Check Synchronization of Throttle Valve Cables; I'm going to have the dealer do this (I don't have the mercury guage)
  • Read the Fault-Code Memory with the BMW Diagnosis System; Duh, I guess I have to let them do this.
I wish the service manual had come in; that would make things so much easier! Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all that can help out there.

Thanks,

Kirk
2005 R1200GS
2001 Honda Shadow (wife's bike)
bmwmotorbikes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Here you go: R12GS Maintenance Schedules.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Herknav90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Of all the service intervals to get, the 600 is probably the most important. They can look and see warranty type items early. They can do the two recalls out. They also torque the heads (which you can do) and it is the only time that this is done. I'm not a fan of having someone work on my bike, but I will let them do this one!

Grip it and rip it!

Greifen Sie es und zerreißen Sie es!
Herknav90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
bmwmotorbikes4me OP
GS Convert

Thanks for the link, rdcyclist. That's cool that you found that. It, however, doesn't have the technical specifications I need.

Herknav90, the warranty issues is a good point, but I've only had my bike three days, and the dealership assured me that when they preped the bike they addressed all the current warranty campaigns. Besides, they are going to see the bike to do the throttle valve cable synchronization and read the fault codes. So any additional inspection they would do, they will still have an opportunity to do.

So, I'm still looking for the specs: torque spec for the cylinder head bolts; valve clearance parameters, and sparkplug gap.

Thanks, again, in advance, for any help.

Cheers,

Kirk
Old 05-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
FlyingScotsman
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 1,777
You should have a look around R1200gs.info - you may find all sorts there such as torque levels.
FlyingScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
LIP
Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer: 461
Torquing Heads

FYI:
I read the manual very carefully, and I am not sure if it is exactly the same for an R12 compared to an R11, but you need to be careful when torquing the heads on.

'Break' the seals that they have and loosen each nut a turn or two. This will also function to give you a baseline of <20 nM's in theory.
#1 torque to 20 NMs like you have.
#2 In a 'star' or alternating format, torque each nut 90 degrees
#3 Repeat step 2 for a total of 180 degrees.

Good luck and be careful.

LIP
LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
bmwmotorbikes4me OP
GS Convert

Thanks LIP, and everyone else. Probably the best resources I found (after being told about them were the www.r1200gs.info site and the Hall of Wisdom. The valve adjustment for dummies is not only informative, it's really funny!

Anyway, I haven't yet been able to put my new learning into action because of a little gumption-killer in the form of a missing ignition wire puller! Why did BMW decide to leave that out of the tool kit!?! I posted about this issue separately.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
How critical???

Okay, I have a problem here..

I have about 400 mile on my new GS (yeah, working too much!), and I have a long ride coming up later next week that should be about 400 mile total.

Will I be in big trouble if i have the 600 mile service at 800 miles?

Thanks for the input!
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
richardas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I think you'll be fine. It's only 200 miles.
richardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Knee Dragger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
800 miles is no biggy . But , The stuff you do on the 2010-2011 bikes is a bit different than what is listed at the start of this thread. There is no " Tighten Cylinder Head " & I think the " Check Valve Clearance" is at 6,000 miles. I hope Someone here that is more knowledgeable will chime in.
Knee Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,398
Most of what you need is here:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

Look around.

However, I suspect you have a 2010+ model year, so the head retorque and the valve adjust do not happen at the 600 mile service.

If you do have a 2010+, check here for the proper maintenance sheets: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Service%20Schedule%20PDF.pdf

Jim

PS This is for Hubman.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote