Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
goodburbon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Brought a New F700GS home this weekend.

Back story.

My wife decided she wanted to ride with me, so we went bike shopping for her. We had intentions of getting a Triumph Bonneville, but there was an F700GS factory low on the floor that fit her perfectly. I test rode the bike for her and love it. So it came home with us.

Fast forward a few days and she just can't stand riding. She is so afraid that she can't enjoy it at all, so I now have a second bike.

My other bike is a Buell Ulysses, which leads me to having 2 small issues with this otherwise awesome bike.

1. First gear is not suited for any sort of trail riding, it's almost twice as fast at idle as the Buell, which I didn't really notice till I rode them back to back. That's OK though, I'll just convert the Buell for my 60/40 bike and use the 700 for street only. (Which admittedly seems backwards to me) It's also easy enough to change a sprocket if I wanted to.

2. If you're going too slow in first, or try taking off without enough RPMs the engine just falls flat, instant kill with no warning. I'm coming from the Buell, remember, so I'm used to a bit of lugging, or I can feel a stall coming and feather in some clutch/throttle and keep going. The 700 gives no such warning, one second you're fine, half a second later and you're skidding to a halt, or trying to restart at the stoplight that just turned green, looking like a noob in a parking lot, etc. Sure I'll get used to it, but it did catch me off guard/still catches me off guard every time. Is there any fix for this or is it just the nature of the motor and I have to use excessive amounts of throttle to take off/coast around?

Absolutely love the bike otherwise.
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
backtrack

Nice bike! yeah for you.

And what about a bike that wife would feel comfortable riding? If she's not comfortable on a new bike, and tipping it over (like none of us did that ). Like a lowered older F650? Or a 250cc ds? Maybe point her to some threads and forums to move through the fear?

Before you get too far into doing the ... this bike compared to that bike... yeah, the F700 is definitely not a Buell. Enjoy riding!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
goodburbon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We've got a 125L for putting around the property, getting her used to riding, turning, clutch/brake, starting, stopping etc.

She's already laid it down...

00' TTR125L
09' Buell Ulysses
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
We've got a 125L for putting around the property, getting her used to riding, turning, clutch/brake, starting, stopping etc.

She's already laid it down...

Where are the crashbars
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
sorry to hear that you wife is not comfortable with the F700

Hope her getting comfortable on the 125 works for her and you.

FWIW I hope you are not thinking about her being more comfortable on the Bonnieville . Likely not to be.
I'e had had both, the Bonnieville is quite a bit heavier, has much poorer suspension on road and especially on dirt, and is much less comfortable. It does sit lower.

the Bonnieville is a GREAT retro bike. Love the looks, love the sound.

the F700 is a great modern ALL Rounder....great on the road, great on dirt roads...ok on tame off road.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Danzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Nice bike. How does the lowered suspension handle the rough stuff?
Danzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
goodburbon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Where are the crashbars
It had been home 15 hours, I had only started researching farkles since the original plan was Bonneville. Even then its intended as a street bike for us with a few dirt roads here and there.

there just doesn't seem to be enough suspension travel or ground clearance for much off road use. If it were purchased for me I'd have gotten the standard height or the 800.

I'm having some difficulty locating a rear tire for the Buell, plans are likely to change.
00' TTR125L
09' Buell Ulysses
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
LoffKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
adv bikes for shorties

I just bought the F700GS with the low seat so i didn't have to lose the suspension and would be able to get the ESA. the lowered suspension is the same height as the standard suspension with a low seat. I look forward to trying out all the ESA modes. i've heard great things about it.
LoffKat is offline   Reply With Quote