User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,980
Source of used F650gs parts?

A friend has had an accident on her '04 F650GS, and cracked the axle mount on the right fork slider as well having cracked the fork brace. New, the slider is about $440, and the fork brace is $210. I found a place in the UK that should have them for about $100 each, but I was wondering if anyone could point me at a place here in the US (faster shipping, no messing with customs) that would have similar? Doing a search on eBay doesn't find anything compelling.

Amazingly, the fork stanchions themselves are apparently still straight and true.

Thanks!

huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Marcin

Maybe post this in the yamaha forks for a f650gs thread as someone may have their old forks to sell you.
Cal

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...a+forks+f650gs
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Might post in the Yamaha forks on a Dakar thread since they would not need the factory forks anymore.
Just a few seconds behind Cal!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Marcin

Maybe post this in the yamaha forks for a f650gs thread as someone may have their old forks to sell you.
Cal

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...a+forks+f650gs
Thanks, Cal, but it looks like this would be a triple clamp + both forks + wheel replacement? If Deb has access to the parts, then this may be doable. Otherwise, I think she's going to go look at the place in the UK tomorrow.

Deb says hi, BTW.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Si, I say hi Cal. In north west Columbia now 1000km from only BMW in Bogota with a plane to catch for Christmas Friday morning! Happy Christmas! I think I will be getting new forks! But I saw them online at max for 700$ for one so $400 seems a bargain! Ah perspective! Lets see what tomorrow, Monday, brings...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
jkphoto
Sometime Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I've got a complete front fork from a 2006 F650Gs that I will sell for $225 plus shipping. They are in good shape though the top tubes are slightly bent, thus the price. I replaced them with a Y250f front end for my bike. I can send you photos of the forks if you are interested. PM me if interested.
jkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkphoto View Post
I've got a complete front fork from a 2006 F650Gs that I will sell for $225 plus shipping. They are in good shape though the top tubes are slightly bent, thus the price. I replaced them with a Y250f front end for my bike. I can send you photos of the forks if you are interested. PM me if interested.
Thanks for that info, jkphoto -- Hewby, who chimed in on this thread, is the one with the damaged forks. She can make the call on this, but it sounds like a pretty decent deal!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkphoto View Post
Mmm. Thanks. Interested especially if you have the fork brace too. PM sent.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Si, I say hi Cal. In north west Columbia now 1000km from only BMW in Bogota with a plane to catch for Christmas Friday morning! Happy Christmas! I think I will be getting new forks! But I saw them online at max for 700$ for one so $400 seems a bargain! Ah perspective! Lets see what tomorrow, Monday, brings...
Ah and with my head together a little more after some sleep - though it hurt more today I tell you! - the whole fork is $700 but the slider what i need is only $400! Brilliant. Though had a chime in on another thread posted on Cal's link that the lower yoke might also have been bent. It's hard to tell as the forks are not aligned well due to the break but there is a slight twist in the steering! Hoping to see a mechanic today as the weekend is over. And then see if I ship my bike to Bogota to BMW or leave it here 1000km away at the police station and come back with the parts to try and fix it after Christmas?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Hewby/Huzar
Member Nomad5326 just listed a set of forks for an 02 in the flea market for $150.00
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Thanks for the heads up, Cal, but we already got the parts. jkphoto is shipping them to us in Pennsylvania, where Deb and I will meet up on Friday, and when she heads back to Colombia she'll bring the parts with her. Thanks, everyone, for the pointers, leads, and good wishes.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
kateean2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Might post in the Yamaha forks on a Dakar thread since they would not need the factory forks anymore.

kateean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all. Hopefully done and dusted now. Lets just hope when I get the bike back together in this little northern Columbian town after Christmas it's all smooth sailing!